• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Larger Fermenting containers

so I have family, friends, and co workers interested in my sauce and I just don't have enough mash to go around and I just don't feel like fermenting in 5 separate 80 oz. (2.5QT) pickle jars. Not to mention I have plans for experimenting with some other mash's. Soooo I'm looking for some larger glass or ceramic containers, or wood barrels. anyone have any real good sites or know of anything that can be found at your local walmart or just about any convenient store? I don't want it to be a special fancy expensive fermenting crock for $200 or anything like that. hoping to find something around 3-5 gallons for around $50. Any ideas?

what about a brewing carboy?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=carboy
get a handle if you need to move it around much.

I had thought about those, but that'll be a last resort. I prefer something with a larger opening for ease of getting the mash in and out as well as testing the PH and stirring it occasionally.

Plastic carboy? Have an opening nearly as large as the vessel and airlock plugs straight in. We get them in 30 litres over here.
Cost here about 40 bux.

anchor hocking brand makes 2 gallon covered glass jars like these-
http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-2-Gallon-Heritage-Glass/dp/B000KKI7GY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1314113193&sr=1-1

I picked up that jar at wallyworld a couple years ago. Worked good for kimchee, and I think the make a 3 gallon jar also. You'd have to cover it with a plastic bucket or towels or something to keep the light out.

Get an Ale Pale. They have lids that are already drilled and set up for an air lock and hold up to 6.5 gallons. Plus they are food grade plastic. You can find them at homebrew shops for under $20.00 too.

Cheers,
RM

Get an Ale Pale. They have lids that are already drilled and set up for an air lock and hold up to 6.5 gallons. Plus they are food grade plastic. You can find them at homebrew shops for under $20.00 too.

Cheers,
RM

So correct me if I'm wrong. It's ok to ferment peppers in a plastic container as long as it's food grade safe?

I was going to suggest an ale pale as well... the down side is I haven't gotten into fermentation yet so I don't know all the do's and don'ts so I couldn't say if plastic is okay in food grade.

im not sure if anyone suggested this
but i used to brew KOMBUCHA a fermented tea beverage, ya know the one Linsey Lohan suppoably got in trouble with

my friend got me a 6 gallon ferment frendly plastic bucket at the local wine and beer making supply shop and that should work great it did not cost very much

give that a try
EDIT>>ok i went back to the threads here and see it was already suggested sorry did not wanna look like a foolhope that helps thanks yur friend Joe

I've got over 120 food grade buckets with lids (both 3.5 and 5 gal.) that I got free for the asking.

The 5 gal.(green and yellow) size came from restaurants that serve pickle slices or spears, and throw them out daily.
(ie. Chick-Fil-A is a great source)

The 3.5 gal.(white) size came from pizza shops and Italian restaurants, and held either pizza sauce or various cheese products.
All I did was get the word out, and the businesses were more than willing.
The biggest problem I've had...is getting my source(s)to stop saving them for me.

Awesome choices and tips guys, I really appreciate it. I would prefer glass over plastic but for the price and size I will probably go with a plastic Ale Pale or food grade bucket. Which ever I come across first here locally. The next step will be finding someone to buy a few cases of orange habaneros from. lol

Back