• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaves Turning Purple

Ok, so I did a search on the forum, and found that purple leaves are caused by too much light. Also, seems that it could be caused by Phosphate Deficiency. I will add, the leaf itself is turning purple, not necessarily the vein. These plants are about 15 days old, and not all of them are affected, just 3 or 4 right now.

Right now, I am running the lights on a timer for 18 hours on and 6 off. Would you guys cut this back to 16 hours on and 8 hours off instead?

I am using 6 40 watt T12 bulbs (3@2100 lumens, 3@3300 lumens) over each shelf of plants and they are about 1 inch away from the tops of the leaves in most cases.

Or, do you think this could be a phosphate problem?

Sorry no pics right now, I noticed this last night and this morning and didnt have time to get a pic before work. Of course, its been bothering me all morning...:shocked:

Shane

IMO there is not such thing as too much light..if you leaves are turning purple that is a good sign because you are sure they are getting the light they want and putting on a suntan to protect themselves...I don't think you have a phosphate issue IMO...I have noticed my Bhuts turn purple more than any other varitey I am growing...

6 bulbs per shelf 3 6500K and 3 3000K....judging from the amount of lumens you are talking about I would say we are running the same setup...

Thanks A.J., and yep, I am running the 3 6500k and the 3 3000k per shelf. There are spread over a 20" wide area. I will post a pic to this thread tonight so you can see the purple on the leaves and see if it looks like what you have experienced.

Shane

Here is a picture of one of the purple leaves, taken this afternoon.

purplea.jpg

I leave lights on 24 hours for babies up until about 6 weeks, most if not all get that coloring and it goes away as they acclimate to sunlight.

I had some Jamaican habaneros turn purple when they went from daylight Fluoro tubes to under a CFL light panel (which was MUCH brighter than the Fluoro tubes). Eventually the new growth came out and it was normal green.

I've had similar experiences to those posing above me. But I also found that adding a phosphate rich fert helped them turn back to the natural color.

millworkman said:
I leave lights on 24 hours for babies up until about 6 weeks, most if not all get that coloring and it goes away as they acclimate to sunlight.

Yeah, I've heard that the Florescent tubes are what make the stems and leaves turn a little purple. My stems are always purple on my plants (I use florescent tubes) an I had a Thai Hot have its first 4 sets of leaves be almost completely purple this year and I was hoping for the whole plant to have purple leaves lol but they turned green a few weeks later. Im using only florescent tubes and no fertilizer at all other than whats in the soil, I sowed them in Schultz seed starting soil then repotted into the plastic red cups using MG Moisture Control Soil.

oh yeah and I leave my Lights on timers with a 18 on 6 off cycle ever since I sowed them on 2-1 this year

Just went outside n found my reaper leaves r turning purple. They have a pale green color n some yellow leaves as well

I grew some scotch bonnets for my first year.  Started them indoors and the stems and leaves turned purple.    I was told by some veteran members on here that it was just a suntan and not to worry about it.... they were right.  Once they were outside for some real sunlight the purple went away.

Back