• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Leaves turning White...why?

i put 67 plants into the ground in my outdoor garden 5 days ago. i noticed today that some of the leaves are turning white. none completely, but several partially. the plants look healthy other than that. what could be causing this? it is affecting many different varieties...hot and sweet. i know that you experts can help me out...i await your sage advice.

hard to tell without a picture...otherwise my guess would be sunscald..

some more info...the leaves are becoming paper thin as they turn white. they do not become crispy or brittle, but do shrink and devolve. i have found cucumber plants doing the same thing. it is worse on the cucumbers, but they have been in the ground about one week longer than the peppers. sorry, i can't post a pic.

Nothing to do except give them a little shade and maybe a shot of N and some vitamins...I have the same problem...and it is a waiting game...am gonna lose a few but most are looking ok...

i just did some research on sunscalding of peppers and everything i read indicates that sunscald affects the fruit. there was literally nothing about sunscald on leaves. i am confused.

BTW...thanks for your replies...i appreciate the help.

razyrsharpe said:
i just did some research on sunscalding of peppers and everything i read indicates that sunscald affects the fruit. there was literally nothing about sunscald on leaves. i am confused.

BTW...thanks for your replies...i appreciate the help.

Leaves are as likely to get a suntan as peppers, if not more, because it usually happens if plants get exposed to too much sunlight without being hardened off and they don't carry fruit at that time (or not too many).

The advice you got so far is good! Try to make them get used to it slowly. They can take a lot and thus are likely to recover if you harden them off bit by bit now.

Good luck, all the best with your plants!!!!

ok, this sounds like good advice...
i did not harden them prior to transplanting them. how long should i expect this to last until they get used to being outside?

Back