• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Leaves with brown spots become yellow and fall off

knip.jpg

P9270004.JPG

Any idea what this is? I couldn't find pictures of a similar problem. Only one out of my 19 plants has this. More and more leaves, seemingly random ones, get these brown spots, then become yellow and fall of.

Last edited:
Are you sure? I have given all my plants the same amount of fertilizer and some are doing very well. They have become tall with large dark green leaves and many peppers. Maybe I made a mistake in spreading the fertilizer well, because I just calculated how much all my plants would need, dumped that into a watering can and gave all of them the same amount, so it's not very exact.

I've been wondering in general why there's such a difference between the plants. Most of them are a little larger than the one in the photo. Some are bigger, some are smaller... and it's not necessarily the large ones that have the most peppers.

I found it really difficult to find just how many nutrients plants need. Eventually I based my calculation on information from here (available in almost every language except English apparently): https://nl.gardenjornal.com/10369385-why-a-pepper-plant-wont-produce-flowers-or-fruit

It says: 5 milliliters of 5-10-10 when planting and another 5 ml during flowering. What I actually used was 20-20-20 in the first few months because that's what I had. Also I didn't give it all at once because that didn't seem right when the plants were so small! Later I gave some 3-1-5 while flowering which is from a bottle specifically for peppers. Since then I haven't given them anything. Because 20-20-20 is two times stronger than 5-10-10 (or 4 times for nitrogen), I gave only half the recommended amount of that and similarly gave some more of the 3-1-5 stuff.

To be honest I don't know what I'm doing. I'm trying to follow concrete advise but people who claim to know what's best contradict each other, which is already evident from the fact that the pepper-specific fertilizer has a different ratio of molecules than what the article recommends. It is of course dependent on the plant as well. A plant that tends to produce many peppers may need some more nutrients that are needed for producing peppers. It may be more effective to learn to recognize all kinds of signals that a plant needs something and react to that, instead of sticking to a fixed advised amount. I was hoping I could get away with doing it the easy way.

Last edited:
That does very much look like a nutrient deficiency to me - and perhaps as importantly, it doesn't look like anything else I recognize such as disease or infestation. If you're growing peppers in potting soil, a fertilizing regime needn't be complicated. Something reasonably balanced periodically should work well. Various factors can cause certain plants to react differently though, such as plants being unique living things (as alluded to above), the composition of the media, and watering habits. If I had a plant looking like that I'd dose it it with some of the liquid fish fertilizer I have on hand (even though that's 5-1-1) and I'd expect green new growth and no more good leaves going bad within a couple feedings.

It has helped. Thanks people! I don't expect new growth anymore because it's getting cold and darker but the yellow and brown is slowly going away.

Back