• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Leaving Seeds in Water BFore Germ.

I Heard that if you leave the seeds in water They Germinate faster, Im Going to try this but should I leave them for an Hour, Couple of Hours of Over Night, and Do they have to sink so i know that they are Ready? im trying to throw some more seeds by tomorrow.

This year was my first time soaking seeds. Based on advice from guys on this board, I soaked mine for 24 hours in half strength chamomile tea with Hydrgen Peroxide added according to this chart. I had seeds popping starting 6 days later. The results for me were dramatic, compared to seeds I started dry.

I Heard that if you leave the seeds in water They Germinate faster, Im Going to try this but should I leave them for an Hour, Couple of Hours of Over Night, and Do they have to sink so i know that they are Ready? im trying to throw some more seeds by tomorrow.

You dont really need to soak seeds, but it might be recommended if they are old or have chile flesh on them. here is something for you to read about soaking seeds. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/28381-floating-seeds/page__fromsearch__1

Agree with megahot. Soaking seeds isn't necessary. There's no truth to the seed being good or bad based on it sinking or floating. That only works with witches and Justin Beiber.

Oh Wow Witches and Justine hahahhah and I Just did some massive Reading and I Guess that Takes away the Need of me Sinking them in Water, and thanks for the Chart Pash

You really don't need to bother soaking them. IMO, just throw em in some peat with a humidity dome.

I usually soak mine. However this year I soaked 7 pot chaguanas and they came up in about 7 days. I didn't soak 7 pot jonah and they came up in about........7 days. I also had habs come up in 5 days and 21 days.....both soaked and both planted the same day. I don't think I'll bother soaking again.

I wasnt Going to Soak them but I just woke up, walked to my kitchen and saw some seeds in water, I guess i had forgotten them last night before i did this Post, I got them out and put them under the Dome in some Jiffys

I've started a ton of seeds with and without soaking, and from my experience it makes no difference for germination times or percentages. I've seen quite a few experiments that couldn't find any advantage as well. Soaking them in a peroxide solution to kill pathogens might be worthwhile though.

i did some testing this year and found seed soaked 24 hours in a mix of 1T peroxide to 1 cup water germinated faster and at a slightly higher percentage than seed soaked the same period in water which in turn germinated more quickly than dry seed with about the same percentage.

Back