• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lespaulde's 2020

Good day to all my fellow pepperheads out there. Given that 2020 is well underway, I figured it's time to get my new glog going. I'm hoping this year's will be full of delicious peppers, learning moments, new things to try out and last but not least, a lot of fun growing these tasty little devils together with the awesome community that makes THP the mecca it is.

I'm almost exclusively growing new varieties this year, which is not due to the fact that I didn't like last year's peppers, but rather taking the opportunity to create the illusion of making a dent in trying the many cultivars that have found their way onto my bucket list. I've sourced seeds from various places including Semillas and South Lincs Chili boys, and am forever grateful for the awesome trades I got to do with PaulG and Dr. Cane McDog, which have shaped this and even next year's grow already. :)

So now to the good stuff, the peppers. The list (thus far, after lots and lots of back and forth in Google sheets) looks as follows:

Autopot
Sugar Rush Peach
Numex Pumpkin Spice
Numex Lemon Spice
Numex vaquero
Jalapeño Zapotec (CaneDog)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Paper lantern
Dorset Naga Orange

Fabric bags
Rocoto Cristobal
Jamaican yellow hot
Hyper Pube (CaneDog)

Buckets
BJ hybrid-2 (PaulG)
7 pot burgundy (PaulG)
Aji Amarillo (PaulG)

Indoor / Tent
BJ Purple x Aji Mango
Aji Lemon x BJ Purple
B. O. C. crosses
Early Jalapeño
Bahamian goat
Rocoto Oculto

For those of you that remember my glog from last year, Sugar Rush Peach is the only cultivar I'm repeating, which is because it was a huge hit at home, with both me and the missus enjoying it on lots of different dishes. Sweet, but still with a nice kick, especially when added to a hot meal. Other than that, there are lots of Jalapeno varieties as this must still be my favorite type, and I took a "why not try them all" approach, which I hope to continue over the years. Seeds will be planted in 2 batches, with the first batch having been put in the rockwool just before New Year's:

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Paper lantern
Dorset Naga Orange
Rocoto Cristobal
Jamaican yellow hot
Hyper Pube (CaneDog)
PaulG's BJ hybrid-2
7 pot burgundy (PaulG)

jMCoVU0.jpg

I'm extremely excited to be able to grow some Rocotos this year, so thanks for edging me on to that, CaneDog and others in the forums. I have a feeling they will like the Danish climate which tends to have cool nights even during the summer, and will be grown fully outside, not in the greenhouse (space limitations).

I had already started a small winter indoors grow consisting of my own Aji Lemon x BJ Purple cross (F1), which has been making good progress.

Oct 11th:
zzWdtuo.jpg

Nov 14th:
nkDnMF7.jpg

JcBP7u3.jpg

December 5th:
UnrmIXY.jpg

Today (bear in mind it was on a non-sunny windowsill for 3 weeks during the holidays in order to not let it dry out under the intense lights, where it also aborted its recently set first fruit):
yZfe8Lm.jpg

Once the other seedlings made their way outdoors, I will expand the indoor grow according to the plan above (yeah, right! xD) and keep that going too, simply just to get as many peppers sampled this year as possible. 

So at the start, the tent looked as follows:

ZAUamAf.jpg

Soon after, I moved the bulk of the seed starter rockwool cubes into a heated dome, and am transferring the cubes to the tent as the seeds pop. Currently, the JPGS, Jamaican Yellow and PaulG's BJ hybrid have already popped, so let's see how quickly the others follow. From seed to seedling in basically a week is as good as I could have ever asked for. :)
09v9pte.jpg

As always, thanks for reading and any input/criticism/feedback you may have, and I will try to keep it saucy in terms of pictures and taste reviews etc.... :) Happy 2020!

You have been busy, Erv. The potting soil mix looks
really good, I hope it works out well for you. The 7 Pot
Burgundy looks right at home in it! Would be cool if it
has the nice pecan-colored pods.

Looks like you have a nice, big yard, and a nice big
wood pile! What kind of trees did you take out? I am
sure you will like the extra light in your grow space,
(and that nice big pile of newly cut firewood!)
and your yard will be much more pleasant. Watch
for lots of new growth under the lighter canopy! 

PaulG said:
You have been busy, Erv. The potting soil mix looks
really good, I hope it works out well for you. The 7 Pot
Burgundy looks right at home in it! Would be cool if it
has the nice pecan-colored pods.

Looks like you have a nice, big yard, and a nice big
wood pile! What kind of trees did you take out? I am
sure you will like the extra light in your grow space,
(and that nice big pile of newly cut firewood!)
and your yard will be much more pleasant. Watch
for lots of new growth under the lighter canopy! 

Thanks Paul! Indeed very busy, but also super rewarding and it's been nice being outside in the sun for a few hours everyday, because despite it being cold, the sunlight really helps boost morale. We took out different kinds of pine, and I think managed to strike the right balance between taking out and leaving behind enough trees, and you're absolutely right, the rest of the garden will likely thrive from it. Might even be able to scatter an extra pot or 2 containing chili plants, but pssst, don't tell my wife... ;)

I'm also really keeping my fingers crossed for the 7-pot pecan, that is definitely the Chinense I'm most excited about this year!

I also had to do some surgeries on 2 varieties that I was very excited about, due to some nasty helmet heads.

First one was CaneDog's Zapotec like shown before, which simply did not want to budge, even despite repeated wetting. I unfortunately ended up taking out most of the cotyledons, but thankfully just enough for the growing tip to remain. As you can see in the picture below, it was clear already 2 days after that things should be fine:

bxZuzx8.jpg

In other good news, a second and even third seed sprouted now, so I'm at 100% germination rate and my heart rate is therefore back down to normal - would not have wanted to lose this awesome variety!

The other one, which was extremely nerve-wrecking was the Rocoto Oculto, which didn't seem to like the journey from UK to Denmark, as in the end there were maybe 2 seeds that ever stood a chance. The first one popped but was stuck with a nasty helmet head, so I figured given the potential Jay-Z disaster, that I should bring out the big guns. Out came the surgical scalpel and fine tweezers, and I went to town on the husk, layer by layer. End result as follows:

eh11xof.jpg

Isn't it amazing that the cotyledon (could only see 1, if it even is one) is completely white? I'm hoping as soon as it's seen some light for a day or 2 that it keeps going, but I'm also happy that in the meantime, the 2nd seed also sprouted and should be well on the way to becoming an actual seedling. The removed seed husk is laying next to it on the rockwool so you have an idea...

Hopefully disasters averted! :)

Great work with the yard LP!  Seems like over the past 12 months you've done a lot toward getting it the way you want it.  Your picture reminds me it's been a long while since I've split up firewood, something that can be fun to do - unless it's an unending chore!

That Zapotec looks very healthy post surgery. Good work!  The rocoto seems to have been in worse shape, but you gave it a chance now.  And I think I can see the split of the cotyledons so hopefully the growth tip is still safe.

I'm pretty excited about PG's burgundy too.  His version has some great-looking pods!

Well, I've been off in la-la land for quite some time, and come back to see good things ;) .

The plants look great! Glad to see the surgeries went well. I really hate it when they do that, and I too give it a shot. I use nail clippers to trim the very edge so I can split it with tweezers and a razor blade.

Nice work on the yard! I saw the wood pile and wondered "did he cut that?". Reason being, it seems few do it anymore. About five years ago I had a 450 plus year old Live Oak die. It had taken a direct lightning hit. It had a 54" across trunk, and It took me forever to cut it up and split it.

Devv said:
Well, I've been off in la-la land for quite some time, and come back to see good things ;) .

The plants look great! Glad to see the surgeries went well. I really hate it when they do that, and I too give it a shot. I use nail clippers to trim the very edge so I can split it with tweezers and a razor blade.

Nice work on the yard! I saw the wood pile and wondered "did he cut that?". Reason being, it seems few do it anymore. About five years ago I had a 450 plus year old Live Oak die. It had taken a direct lightning hit. It had a 54" across trunk, and It took me forever to cut it up and split it.
Found a picture of ya [emoji16]
07423ffd76412d002e4f603cafa78419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Found a picture of ya [emoji16]
07423ffd76412d002e4f603cafa78419.jpg
LOL, that's one heck of a tree!

Devv said:

Thanks Devv, and good to have you back - will need to pay your glog a visit to see al the things you've been up to! :)

Interesting method with the nail clippers, will keep that in mind for next time as it sounds very effective. I only had 2 this year, but agree they're very annoying, especially with precious varieties.

And wow, 54" probably is what separates the men from the boys; biggest one we have is probably 30", so while still heavy work, it's mainly therapeutic. I can't say I'm using an axe for all of that, but one of those machines that can split the wood thanks to an enormous amount of pressure. Still feels funny putting a massive log onto one of those without it crushing your feet LOL.

We've 1 tree left, so we won't go bored over Easter...

CaneDog said:
Great work with the yard LP!  Seems like over the past 12 months you've done a lot toward getting it the way you want it.  Your picture reminds me it's been a long while since I've split up firewood, something that can be fun to do - unless it's an unending chore!

That Zapotec looks very healthy post surgery. Good work!  The rocoto seems to have been in worse shape, but you gave it a chance now.  And I think I can see the split of the cotyledons so hopefully the growth tip is still safe.

I'm pretty excited about PG's burgundy too.  His version has some great-looking pods!
Thanks CD, and indeed, putting more and more of our own into the garden which feels great. Savoring all the extra light had been phenomenal, especially with all the sunshine lately. Nights are still freezing though, so no chance to put out plants. But will update progress soon as things are being potted up almost on a daily basis, woohoo! :)

Zapotec, Burgundy and the Rocotos is where my excitement is at this year, hopefully we'll know more in a few months :D

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

So the good news of the day is that the Rocoto Oculto indeed managed to pull through, and formed some actual coties! :dance:

53rMnvE.jpg

The other good news is that I finally got a full-sized pod off the Purple Pineapple, and although the pheno still needs some work (you think?!?), it means I now have some seed for the F2s to work with, yay! Just have to wait until plant out so that I have some space.

96d7RFB.jpg

Since its hopefully soon time for plant out, figured to give a quick picture update of plants while they're still indoors.

SRP, with first pods set:

e0a783cf55d923bf8d00aa74b1bea894.jpg

Jamaican Yellow Hot:

0f55e4114952a33e3ce59215f270704e.jpg

Dorset Naga Orange:

18c9ca4ff4020b6230ccc647286b266e.jpg

JPGS:

c262d49d93eb2f945d0607f492133acb.jpg

Paper Lantern:

b47c3230879cd2cfe15044efc00178a0.jpg

Hyperpube (CaneDog):

0b311fbf32a56f4573d28aa506b31bd0.jpg

Overall, I'm loving the foliage of the rocotos:

87d8246401dcdb561f62a7d996579c2b.jpg

The 2nd round Annuums (jalapeños) are still in the tent and will be potted up over the next few days. Below you can see the progress over 1 week of top vs bottom. Also started some tomatoes (tiny tim, sweet million, gartenperle) and the "patio snacker" cucumber.

b994bd6768c4d7abbd9eec883c65fd50.jpg

Hopefully I can plant out this coming week or the week after, as temps are steadily above freezing, and the green house is holding them a few degrees above outside temps anyways, meaning the 10C/50F night time temps should be in reach soon :dance:

We're looking for those nights here, too, Erv.

Your plants look great. They are diggin' that sunny
window, for sure! You are raising the bar, my friend.
Good work! Looking forward to seeing them in the
ground!

Thanks Paul, I was happy to hear you no longer needed heat inside the greenhouse, that's definitely a good milestone! :)

Potted up the final contestants for the autopots, now hopefully they can really stretch their legs and go all out on growth.

CaneDog's Zapotec:

18298c843fe08900de9acaff4170f677.jpg

Lots of buds on the way. I (very anecdotally) feel like letting the plants run their course this year and won't be pinching. Just to see whether plant growth seems stunted compared to last year, although I of course fully realize this is not a fair comparison...

2244ef4e50a42c98373fc5c807ce1f85.jpg

NuMex Lemon Spice:

e19b14315d4e80ddf47940ec7c1e09b3.jpg

NuMex Pumpkin Spice:

b15645e5e9a7ca93fe5b9ea65ca93ea5.jpg

lespaulde said:
Thanks Paul, I was happy to hear you no longer needed heat inside the greenhouse, that's definitely a good milestone! :)

Potted up the final contestants for the autopots, now hopefully they can really stretch their legs and go all out on growth.

CaneDog's Zapotec:

Lots of buds on the way. I (very anecdotally) feel like letting the plants run their course this year and won't be pinching. Just to see whether plant growth seems stunted compared to last year, although I of course fully realize this is not a fair comparison...

NuMex Lemon Spice:

NuMex Pumpkin Spice:

Those jalapenos look in really good shape! I always regret not planting a jalapeno variety when seeing posts like these ;)
Btw those pots look like some kind of selfwatering pots? 
I wonder if I should start a jalapeno plant after seeing this  :P

Mildfruit said:

Those jalapenos look in really good shape! I always regret not planting a jalapeno variety when seeing posts like these ;)
Btw those pots look like some kind of selfwatering pots? 
I wonder if I should start a jalapeno plant after seeing this  :P
Do it! I think jalapeños are a pepper that one can never regret growing as it so good on so many things! Didn't you grow the lemon spice last year and were a little underwhelmed about the heat level? I'm very curious about all the different variants I'm growing this year as I'm still on the lookout for my favorite one...

Yeah, the pots are Autopots, I guess a sort of hybrid between soil and hydro and definitely a huge help for someone like me who is not always remembering to water on time or when I'm traveling. They should work well for you in the tent too and I'm even considering trying with e.g. 100% perlite to not need any soil at all...

On another note, lots of flowers on the Rocoto which is a new level of flower for me - gorgeous!

f0795989e46246eb317760dd3d204dd1.jpg

lespaulde said:
Do it! I think jalapeños are a pepper that one can never regret growing as it so good on so many things! Didn't you grow the lemon spice last year and were a little underwhelmed about the heat level? I'm very curious about all the different variants I'm growing this year as I'm still on the lookout for my favorite one...

Yeah, the pots are Autopots, I guess a sort of hybrid between soil and hydro and definitely a huge help for someone like me who is not always remembering to water on time or when I'm traveling. They should work well for you in the tent too and I'm even considering trying with e.g. 100% perlite to not need any soil at all...

On another note, lots of flowers on the Rocoto which is a new level of flower for me - gorgeous!

Okay, that post sent me into a researching spiral for a few hours. How have I never heard of them?! They seem almost to good to be true. If they really work, they would solve my problem of plants having a different amount of water intake as they just drink when needed. Also with either 100% perlite or coco coir I could save lots of money on mediums instead of grodan cubes which are rather expensive. Very very interesting. How long have you used autopots and do they just work?  :P  
I planted a seed for Orange Spice yesterday, look at what you made me do  ;)  And yea rocoto flowers are something else indeed! Beautiful!

Mildfruit said:
Okay, that post sent me into a researching spiral for a few hours. How have I never heard of them?! They seem almost to good to be true. If they really work, they would solve my problem of plants having a different amount of water intake as they just drink when needed. Also with either 100% perlite or coco coir I could save lots of money on mediums instead of grodan cubes which are rather expensive. Very very interesting. How long have you used autopots and do they just work?  [emoji14]  
I planted a seed for Orange Spice yesterday, look at what you made me do  ;)  And yea rocoto flowers are something else indeed! Beautiful!
Haha sorry for taking up so much of your time! ;) I also couldn't believe it at first, but was sold after the first season. Indeed going 100% perlite should make media recycling a breeze, and even with coco it's just a matter of adding ~30% fresh every time. The only challenge is disentangling the leca pebbles from the insane rootball at the bottom at the end of a season, but I suppose you don't have seasons so problem solved! :D

This is my 3rd year using them and so far have been very pleased. However, do be careful (if you try them) not to use too big a reservoir tank as I've heard a story from the 4-20 scene where one of the autovalves got blocked by a fallen leaf or what not and was then set to always open. That flooded their floor and while outside that isn't an issue, inside a house it would be. I think given your automatic watering system, that you could set something similar up but without the flood 'risk' (although it's never happened to me and the valve is in a sealed compartment). Just put the pots in some kind of reservoir, put a layer of leca pebbles in the bottom of the pot and just let your watering system fill it up every few days.

Nice! Happy to hear you're going for the Orange spice! I'm giving it a miss this year due to wanting to try lots of new ones, but it truly is a good Jalapeño. It'll probably get nice and big fast in your setup!

Wow LP!

Great work, resulting in great looking plants. Pictures are well done as well. ;) 
Funny how much really good info comes from the 4-20 sites.
Perhaps it's motivation? For a grow that inhibits motivation?? :D

I'm not familiar with any of the tomato varieties you're growing. But, we live so far away and have such dis-similar climates.
Mine are chosen for short hot seasons. Handball sized toms that taste good for the wife ;) 

Also took the time to 'plant out' the first 3 plants into 60L/16gal fabric containers. I gloriously copied Skullbiker and Uncle E's setup with wire fence inside the pots, as these will end up outside the green house 24/7 in a few weeks and I hope them to get m.a.s.s.i.v.e. This way they should be protected from wind and manage to keep a large crop growing without branches breaking.

Plants are:

Jamaican Hot Yellow

7099af3cf8bef5fad1dc5c4b4194d5bf.jpg

4bf9b5a68b8be7956366f8b7f8d7d42f.jpg

Rocoto hyperpube (CaneDog's)

e4ec9238bcf441eeba39edcbf0ae1884.jpg

b30ea048fa4b8d858f1a1cc4b877bd88.jpg

Rocoto San Cristobal

3275552c4783f6913398b73fdee1e18a.jpg

583ab3b500036a2ccc2e4be0ac2c4914.jpg

And all of them getting ready for their first night in the wild... xD

81dc4d4fd7843ab1d991f63ba9f7d2ee.jpg

Let's see how they do, as the next few nights are still predicted down to 4C/39F but the greenhouse adds 2-3 degrees on top of that, meaning they should be safe. Fingers crossed anyways, and tomorrow I'm moving out the autopots too so they can savour some more hours of sun per day than they've been getting in the windows.

Back