• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lettuce Chillie

Hello Folks,

I was wondering about the growth on the top of one of my plants.

It has such dense growth on the top that and on closer inspection I can see small buds inside the clump of leaves.

I don't Partitulary have any questions about it it's just so strange that I wanted to share and maybe someone else has seen it before...

The Clump
IMG_3683.jpg

Another angle
DSCN3688.jpg

The Plant
IMG_3684.jpg

Also, this Chillie, it's a store bought chillie called a "Yellow Adjoema". Have any of you ever grown it? I'm thinking of keeping the seeds to grow next year but a store bought one may or may not be a good way to judge the taste and the hotness.

DSCN3685.jpg

Good Evening to you all...

Cheers.

Beautiful pod. Not sure about the new growth, but generally it looks pretty healthy. Monitor it. (generic term for whenever you don't know what to do)

I've got a few plants doing the same thing. After a couple of days they open up more and keep right on growing. I wouldn't worry about it.

bigt said:
Monitor it. (generic term for whenever you don't know what to do)

If I had a nickle for every time some dumbass intern at the hospital told me that for lack of any real knowledge of what to do I'd be a rich man.:lol:

I had something similar to that last year on one of my jalapenos. I thought it was a deficiency of some kind because of the yellowing between the veins of the leaves. I tried epsom salts but that didn't help. It could be too much of something throwing the nutrient uptake off. The other plants are fine with the same feeding??

caroltlw said:
I had something similar to that last year on one of my jalapenos. I thought it was a deficiency of some kind because of the yellowing between the veins of the leaves. I tried epsom salts but that didn't help. It could be too much of something throwing the nutrient uptake off. The other plants are fine with the same feeding??

Thanks Guys.

The others are actually thriving, but they are much shorter so I dipped the light very close to them and the one in the picture was extremely close to the light all the time.
Could that be the problem?
There are actually buds inside the leaf mess...

The others in the same system are amazing and dark green, but not with the strange growth.

Regarding the pod in the earlier picture, has anyone tasted them, are they worth growing?

I've got the same thing going on.

101_6506-Copy.jpg

This is under shoplights 24/7 about a half an inch from the light. I think the problem is poor light from the sides of the plant. But hey, it's healthy and budding so all is good!

patrick said:
How did that jalapeno end up doing for you Carol?

I never did figure out what was wrong with it. It had fruit but some of them had mushy spots on them. I picked what was healthy looking and got rid of that plant in the fall when it came time to select my breeders.

Nilsen said:
Also, this Chillie, it's a store bought chillie called a "Yellow Adjoema". Have any of you ever grown it? I'm thinking of keeping the seeds to grow next year but a store bought one may or may not be a good way to judge the taste and the hotness.

DSCN3685.jpg

Got a couple of these at the supermarket today, googled and ended up back here on THP. Mine where a little over ripe, typical chinense but not a lot of taste - kind of light and not as "overwhelming" as some chinense can be, heat about the same as orange hab, maybe a little less. (There is a reason I don't do reviews, I suck at it) Pretty nice though and beautiful pods, I'll save the seeds and try to grow them - home grown are always better.

I do suspect that it is a cross that the grower has named for marketing purposes. It is a little strange that I can get fresh pods at my store but can't find any info on the internetz. Does anyone know anything?

i know thats a cool lighter.
alot of internet sites say the hottest part of the pepper is the seeds
which is incorrect. i feel this site is best for accurate pepper knowledge.
arboc were the pods you bought labelled yellow adjoema as well?

Back