• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds light/germination?

Honestly I usually use paper-towels because I'm cheap, and I don't drink coffee, and I'm experienced enough to check germinating seeds often and pot them as soon as roots form. I know a lot of people that let their seeds get tangled in the paper towel (its not a difficult thing to do especially with tomatoes, just difficult to untangle and pull apart).

I usually plant sprouts into cells(usually 72cells/tray) but you could use any small pot or growbag.

patrick said:
Erik, I don't mean to rain on your parade but if you plan on growing these outdoors you're out of time. If you plan on growing them indoors and expect peppers you're going to have to invest in some lights.

Hope I'm not out of line with this.

yep I know

the plan is to grow these inside.
i have some lights now(flouro)to start with.
I will buy a few different types as soon as i figure out how many plants i can keep as far as space goes.
I think it will only be approx.7 to 10 plants.

huntsman said:
What size pot/bag would you go to from the paper towel, chilliman?

cell trays, if its is a fast grower like rocoto then I will use small pots so I dont have to re-pot in 2-3 weeks.
But usually just cell tray in a mini green house until they show signs again they are growing out of the space provided.

ebk637 said:
when the tap root shows and its time to put it in the tray which way should the tap root be placed,down?

Yes ! I usually place it a MM or 2 under substrate to help prevent seed crowns. But yes the tap root is to be pointed DOWN when repotting.

chilliman said:
cell trays, if its is a fast grower like rocoto then I will use small pots so I dont have to re-pot in 2-3 weeks.
But usually just cell tray in a mini green house until they show signs again they are growing out of the space provided.

:cheers:

When the seeds just sprout, I plant them roots pointing up. They will go up, do a 180 hook, and then will straighten out.

POTAWIE said:
Honestly I usually use paper-towels because I'm cheap, and I don't drink coffee, and I'm experienced enough to check germinating seeds often and pot them as soon as roots form. I know a lot of people that let their seeds get tangled in the paper towel (its not a difficult thing to do especially with tomatoes, just difficult to untangle and pull apart).

I usually plant sprouts into cells(usually 72cells/tray) but you could use any small pot or growbag.

Can you just cut out a tiny square of the paper towel(seed on board obviously) and plant the whole thing in your soil or would the soggy paper still prevent the root breaking through?

Cheers.

I've done it with some paper-towel attached, but generally I try to be ahead of the game and avoid any tangling

I worry more about the paper towel fragment introducing some fungus or something into the root. But if I have to choose between one with a bit of towel or trying to untangle it, I keep the towel. I also use sterile cotton pads sometimes.

POTAWIE said:
When the seeds just sprout, I plant them roots pointing up. They will go up, do a 180 hook, and then will straighten out.

You're serious???

I plant mine directly in the seed tray so this is just curiosity and I can think of no benefit or reason for pointing the root up, so would you explain your reasoning for doing this.

TIA

There seems to be a lot of debate on this subject but I've always done it the way I was tought many years ago in plant biology. The root will grow up for a bit, then do a 180. If the seed is pointed down then it may have to do two 180's to right itself. If the germinated seed already has a 180 hook then plant root down

POTAWIE said:
There seems to be a lot of debate on this subject but I've always done it the way I was tought many years ago in plant biology. The root will grow up for a bit, then do a 180. If the seed is pointed down then it may have to do two 180's to right itself. If the germinated seed already has a 180 hook then plant root down

Hmmm... that's got me all turned around.

I think I'll just stick with planting mine straight into the starting medium. :)

SeeYouJimmy said:
Can you just cut out a tiny square of the paper towel(seed on board obviously) and plant the whole thing in your soil or would the soggy paper still prevent the root breaking through?

Cheers.

Thats exactly what I do if i'm too late to lift them out of their paper, it works a treat... It's like surgery, but not as life threatening :rolleyes:

ok,
so today i had a bhut jolokia sprout but it has a seed crown.
is there anything i can do to help or should i just leave it alone?

i also have two goat weeds beginning to show themselves.

ebk637 said:
ok,
so today i had a bhut jolokia sprout but it has a seed crown.
is there anything i can do to help or should i just leave it alone?

i also have two goat weeds beginning to show themselves.

Wait a day and see if it falls on its own. If it doesn't, wet a cue tip and get the seed good and wet (takes a few minutes) then pinch the edges gently and open the cap like a clam shell and ease it off. If it doesn't release easily, wet and repeat.

Back