• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Light times? help?

LGHT said:
I can't feel the heat from the bulb 6" as I have a good sized fan blowing directly on it. However I don't think I should have the light 6" away from the plants should I?

If the heat isn't too hot, I don't see the plant being hurt - it's getting 76,000 lumens which is quite a few but less than bright sunlight in summer. But having it that close will limit the coverage area.

Mike

wordwiz said:
If the heat isn't too hot, I don't see the plant being hurt - it's getting 76,000 lumens which is quite a few but less than bright sunlight in summer. But having it that close will limit the coverage area.

Mike

Ok, I turned the fan off let it sit for a bit and lowered the light to about 12" above the seeds. Since I don't have a lot of area I need to cover it seems that all the plants are still directly under the light.

LGHT said:
Ok, I turned the fan off let it sit for a bit and lowered the light to about 12" above the seeds. Since I don't have a lot of area I need to cover it seems that all the plants are still directly under the light.
Sounds ideal to me. If it isn't too hot to burn the plants, the more lumens you feed them the happier they will be!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Only if you like to donate money to the utility company.

Mike

If you mean that the extra growth is not worth the extra money, yes then i guess youre right, but if you mean that they dont respond (well) to the extra lighttime then nah, wrong.

Lavish,

According to tests (which Potawie posted an excerpt from) and an experiment someone in the Web Garden forum did this year, plants do grow quicker under constant light for the first several weeks. After that, they started showing signs of necrosis.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Lavish,

According to tests (which Potawie posted an excerpt from) and an experiment someone in the Web Garden forum did this year, plants do grow quicker under constant light for the first several weeks. After that, they started showing signs of necrosis.

Mike

As god wants blind understanding i gave it to him, hehe. I was so certain cause ive read it in van pattens grow bible :P But since ive seen some unexplainable necrosis lurking here and there ive made up my mind and i did set the timer on 18/6 just a few minutes ago. THP is pretty much the best source for chili knowhow there is, in this case two different case studies showed the way :onfire:

cool as ...i have done 20/4 for the last week and the growth has improved amazingly...my mumma bhut plant is rocking out of this world, another month and it should be a monster!

wordwiz said:
Lavish,

Mike

Hey, thanks for the info. The necrosis are slowly going away on all of the plants, some of them pretty much in tiptop condition again, a few 100% recovered :) The waxy coating is coming back on all of them too.

Lavish,

Glad they are on their way to recovery! From everything I read, the 24/7 regimen is great if one gets a late start germinating plants. In the GardenWeb forum, the plants were about 1/3 larger, but they were getting 1/3 more light.

Mike

Back