• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Lighting Cycle Question - Hours on and Off

Several scientific tests have proven that 24 hours of light is ideal for the first 6 weeks or so and then around 20 hours/day after that.
Its been discussed here quite a bit in the past, and links to these tests are posted here somewhere

My plants getting 18+ hours are doing much better than my 12/12 plants

ohh dangg thats craazzy. maybe ill just leave it on all night then for the next few days.

I was doing 24/7 for a few weeks with 300k and 6500k CFL's and they were doing OK. I guess I will try 12/12 and see what happens.

It all depends on how much $$ you want to save.
In my opinion basically the more light hours the better as long as the plants get a bit of rest, but you hit a point of diminishing returns where the plants at a certain point will grow better with more hours of light but maybe not better enough to justify the extra costs

Several scientific tests have proven that 24 hours of light is ideal for the first 6 weeks or so and then around 20 hours/day after that.
Its been discussed here quite a bit in the past, and links to these tests are posted here somewhere

My plants getting 18+ hours are doing much better than my 12/12 plants

Yeah, I typically do 20/4. I find 24 is good but 20/4 is just as good and saves money. Once I start going lower, things get slower.

I get no benefit really to run lights 20 hours and put out plants that will do just fine in sunlight anyways. I live in Michigan and it's not warm either so I don't have that advantage. Sure, maybe running a 20/4 or 18/6 cycle 'may' generate larger plants that'll go into 4.5" square pots, but to me that means more space, more money to light, more potting soil w/not much advantage on the other end. There's a reason why mail order plant businesses like Cross Country Nursery and TheChileWoman use 2.5" square pots. That's my focus now. Nice plants in small compact areas with minimal light with solid root systems. I've had plenty of years I did it up and transplanted most things into 4 or 5" square pots. In the end, I don't think it was of much benefit. In fact, many times my later starts outperformed others pod wise.:)

Until last season I used 16-18 hrs. of light.

I cut down to 10-12 hrs of light and upped the Lumens of light by putting lights vertically around 3 sides of my plants.

I don't like the hassle of using reflective material around my plants-too much hassle keeping it clean etc.
I seem to be getting better root growth and a lot tighter plants.Lots of early branching.

Went to 12-12 lighting all young sprouts lay ed over thought they were dead. turned lights on 3 hours up standing went back to 18 on 6 off works best for me

Back