• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Liquid Sauce

Hi Guys!

Is it possible that some Hot Sauces like Tabasco, Frank's Red Hot, Louisiana are made with dried peppers?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I tried a week ago with few Habs to make a sauce and it was more like a puree than a sauce! :-)

I used a food processor(blender) and even after 10 minutes, it was still a Hot puree! :-)

How they make it liquid?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

I know that Franks Red Hot and Tobasco ferment there peppers to make the sauce with will soften them up and allow them to be blended into a consistant sauce. Not sure about the Louisiana though. Either way, cooking down all the ingredients together then blending them will get a good consistancy as well.

jacob

sauces can be strained to remove the solids or the solids can be left in the sauce. All that influences the final consistency.

Sent this in a PM, but figured others may find it useful also-

You can use a simple wire mesh strainer and use the back of a spoon or spatula to work the sauce and get the pulp through the screen There's the more commercial "china cap" style strainer which you use with a wooden pestle, and then there's the food mill. Any of these will work for small batches. I can't offer any suggestions for large scale processing, haven't done that yet with fresh peppers.

here's pictures just so you can see what I'm talking about. I do not specifically recommend any of these sites to purchase from, they were just easy to find what I was looking for to show you.
wire strainer-
http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Grips-8-Inch-Double-Strainer/dp/B00004OCLX/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1285859175&sr=1-1

here's a food mill-
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Multipurpose/dp/B0002IBOB4/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1285859103&sr=1-4

china cap-
see SS's link below-

(edit- to fix links. thanks SS)

Your links aren't working SL.

This is similar to what I use to remove the hide from maters and fruits. You'll need something with a finer mesh to remove seeds.

Carabao, if you decide to strain the solids from your sauce you must first have enough liquids to strain. ;) If you have a thick puree now I'd suggest adding some form of liquid, cook it, blend it, and then strain. :)

Back