• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Liquid smoke in hot sauce?

Just wondering if putting liquid smoke in my mash would work. Will any of the ingredients put a halt to the fermentation process? If so would it be best to put it in after it finishes fermenting? I thought adding a bit of a smoky flavor could be nice

side note- not all "liquid smokes" are equal or even the same products.  just sayin~

Pretty much they are, it's smoke condensate (choice of wood) with or without a preservative.

The Hot Pepper said:
Pretty much they are, it's smoke condensate (choice of wood) with or without a preservative.
examples?

It's the way they get the smoke that makes them all taste the same and have a bitter aftertaste. It's smoke condensate from the smoking process. You are tasting smoke water from when the steam (from water smoking) condensates (turns back into water). They have large smokers with the wood of choice, and a system to pull the smoke into an area where it collects as water. Name brands don't really matter. It's just what the product is. Some add stuff, some don't.

I was asking for examples of retail available products that use preservatives (as mentioned in your post) and those who don't use preservatives.   Most available smoke concentrates at retail have additives, sugars, etc.  However, just because it's available retail does not mean that something different is not available elsewhere.   

Back on topic---- should the OP put Liquid Smoke in the ferment ingredients or save it for the end?  

Distilled Water, Hickory and Mesquite Smoke.

Here's another:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023V2EWG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0023V2EWG&linkCode=as2&tag=unassigned-20

Water, Natural hickory smoke concentrate

"This seasoning is produced by burning fresh cut hickory chips, then condensing the smoke into a liquid form. The liquid smoke is then scrubbed and filtered to remove all impurities. Modern ovens and condensers are used to ensure consistent quality"

You get the idea.

Ever water smoked? The black drips? Liquid smoke. Yuck. ;) Oh but they "scrub" it lol.

Moving on...

I'm thinking I'll take yall's advice and save the smokey flavor for a different batch when I can smoke the peppers! Now what about a cheap brand of smoker? Or maybe even some instructions for something I can make myself? I cant spend a whole lot on a large smoker..

Don't think I saw anyone mention that you can ferment smoked peppers. If someone already did mention it then =1 to ya. I've done several mashes using smoked peppers and they came out just as good as fresh ones with the fresh smoked flavor still intact.

Back