Listing Ingredients - hot pepper names

ok, so with all the drama lately, I've got to ask:

I have a new recipe that I've prototyped, deemed worthy, and tabbed "Black Label".

I use "Moruga Scorpion (Red) peppers" in it. That is the name I was given when I purchased the peppers from a reputable grower.

Will there be a problem if I list this as an ingredient in my sauce? What would make it a problem? Does the grower I purchased the peppers from have to be bonnafied somehow? Do i need certification from that grower to indicate that they sold me true Moruga Scorpion peppers?

I've seen other sauces that use Morugas, so I've assumed not. I have no issues listing "Habanero" or "Jalapeno" or "Serrano" or "Cayenne".

What say you, growers? Y'all seem pretty concerned about this claptrap, so I figured I'd best ask before I invest a bunch of my hard earned scratch making something tasty out of those wicked little bastards.

If you read it on the internet, it must be true! You know they can't post anything on the internet that's not true. Now go get readyfor your date with the French model.
:rolleyes:

I haven't heard about any "rights" associated with the use of "Moruga" like Red Savina.

no double meaning from me, I was just making reference to the insurance commercial on TV.....

any othere references are purely unintentional.....

No - just a dumb/funny commercial SL referenced. The one that says everything on the Internet is true. Because they read it on the Internet. And her French model boyfriend was picking her up.

I was just playing along. :cheers:

Harry, is there some insider information regarding a sparkling French beverage we should know about???

If you use Tabasco peppers you have to pay Tabasco one biiiilllliiiiiion dollars. Just kidding. If they could have (r)'d that pepper they would have a long time ago!

True Dat-

you can still grow and use Tabaso peppers and not be affiliated or referenced to a hot sauce company...

Yup. I've met the sales dudes for Tobasco - those guys don't F around. They can smell a nickel in your pocket from 100 paces. True story. All the hot sauce guys at the food show wearing jeans....Tobasco cats wore 3-piece suits.

Well that's not a TM that's a regional law to protect the integrity of the product, that's also why we have parmesan cheese in American and not parmigiano reggiano. Italian laws state it must be from certain regions of Italy only. If you go to the Italian deli and they have parmigiano reggiano it's the real deal from Italy. Parmesan, from anywhere else.

I think Roquefort bleu cheese is one of those products like parmigiano reggiano.

And "champagne" vs 'sparkling wine'????

lots of that stuff out there. Red Savina is the only "registereed/controlled" labeled chile I know of. I'm sure there are more out there....

as far as products with a "controlled designation of origin" eg. Champagne MUST be grown/made in Champagne i think it only really covers Several wines, cheeses and i think spirits (Scotch Whiskey must be made in Scotland). Don't think there is anything similar for peppers.

That's Freedom Toast mister!
:rofl:

as far as products with a "controlled designation of origin" eg. Champagne MUST be grown/made in Champagne i think it only really covers Several wines, cheeses and i think spirits (Scotch Whiskey must be made in Scotland). Don't think there is anything similar for peppers.

I believe there's a geographic distinction between bourbon & whiskey in the US as well.

Back