Listing Ingredients - hot pepper names

ok, so with all the drama lately, I've got to ask:

I have a new recipe that I've prototyped, deemed worthy, and tabbed "Black Label".

I use "Moruga Scorpion (Red) peppers" in it. That is the name I was given when I purchased the peppers from a reputable grower.

Will there be a problem if I list this as an ingredient in my sauce? What would make it a problem? Does the grower I purchased the peppers from have to be bonnafied somehow? Do i need certification from that grower to indicate that they sold me true Moruga Scorpion peppers?

I've seen other sauces that use Morugas, so I've assumed not. I have no issues listing "Habanero" or "Jalapeno" or "Serrano" or "Cayenne".

What say you, growers? Y'all seem pretty concerned about this claptrap, so I figured I'd best ask before I invest a bunch of my hard earned scratch making something tasty out of those wicked little bastards.

LDHS, one good thing about hanging round here is that if someone does end up trademarking another pepper, a la 'red savina', this place will surely be the first to know about it. Probably 99% of the Morugas produced last year somehow found their start with someone on this website.

I say put it on the label, work with reputable growers who know what they are growing and you should be fine. Also, keep documentation! Get invoices from the grower with the exact variety listed. Take photos of the harvest, especially if there is variance in the pods. I definitely think the burden of proof lies on the grower, if/when it gets questioned.

I would be wary of jumping on every hot new pepper that hits the streets though. If your product relies on one particular strain of pepper you could find yourself unable to make that product again, if the grower goes out of business or has a crop failure.

Totally agree.

And while it's undoubtedly the most profitable for a grower to have a monopoly on a strain (the dream of every breeder, no?) it's also the most risky for someone like me to have only one source.

Ideally I will work only with varieties that can 1. Be easily procured, 2. Be sourced from many reputable growers, 3. Have stability

For commercial application anyway - 200+ CS qtys.

For the "micro-batches" I plan on doing starting in a couple if months ill be able to have more fun with it because I'll only need a lb or 2 per strain/batch. Then it's not that critical - no labeling issues, limited edition recipes, etc.

You'll be on my list of sources Ghostpepperstore.
:cheers:

Well crap... I guess I better go get some more Morugas in the germ chamber!

:doh:

heh - nah, I'm talking 1-2 lbs here and there of whatever on your grow list is interesting. Fatali, African Devil, 7-pot Jonahs, maybe even a Bhut batch or two. :cheers:

Don't go growing anything special just for me, but I'm planning on doing 4-5 X 50-60 bottle batchs a month, and I'll try to spread the love around to the various growers on here I trust.

What would be helpful is to get a grow list from you with approximate dates of when you think your pods might be available (rough guestimate is fine).

No worries, I was just messin' with you anyway!

I will get you a list of what I plan on growing. Honestly 1-2 lbs of a particular variety is easy for me, its the 50-100 lb orders that always seem to pose problems. I don't know how many pounds of Morugas you will need for those runs of Black label, but I am sure it will be more than what I can supply. I am planning on 50 Moruga plants at the most for 2013. My focus will continue to be on Red Bhuts, kinda what I am known for ;)

I've played with Thai chilis before - I have a great recipe, and would love to do that as a microbatch. They're kind of a pain in the ass though - there's like 1,000 pods to a lb, and all need to be de-stemmed.

That said, they're tasty as can be so I will try to do at least one limited edition with them.

Do you need a pound for a micro batch? If so, maybe I'll see what I can work out and maybe even de-stem them for you! Let's see how they produce. I have had single plants do well over 1000 pods.

For the Thai chiles I'd probably need about 4-5 lbs to make a small batch.

The problem with de-stemming is that they stay fresher in transport with the stems on.

We can chat as we get closer to harvest season. I'm down to do at least 1 batch (and can send you some sauce back too) :cheers:

Back