• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Little Green Dilemma

I went into the hoop house this evening with the intention of spraying the plants for aphids. I had noticed some on the Lemon Drop's new growth yesterday. I caught something green out of the corner of my eye on a dead branch, and bent closer to see the "new growth". Only, it was a little green tree frog! He was so cute.

So, obviously, I can't spray in there, because it might hurt him, but my plants have aphids. *Aphids!* The dreaded enemy! So, what am I going to do? I thought I might call around tomorrow and see if any of the garden centers have lady bugs in yet, but I've been seriously disappointed in the supply of organic gardening alternatives around here these days. I thought about putting up some yellow sticky traps, but what if the little frog jumps on one. I'd feel awful!

Kermit had it right, it isn't easy being green.

Pam...I will offer this, if you can't get lady bugs there I will get some and overnight them to you...what's your order...they are 9.95 per 1500-1750...

It's the least I can for all the tips you have given me...plus I want to protect "our" tepins....

will neem oil harm frogs?

you could catch him and keep him in a little terrarium... or you could catch him, spray with soap (regular ol' dishsoap) hang on to him for a half hour or so wipe/hose (i don't know what the setup in the hoophouse is...) down the plants then let him go again... and repeat a few times... that's a little time intensive, maybe you should take AJ's offer (AJ you're such a sweetie!) the frog would probably appreciate the ladybugs as well...

Yes yes! Catch and keep him, is it a toad or a frog? I used to have a toad for 5 years once. Named him Oliver and year or two later he started to trill at night. We looked it up and found out that only the female of that species trilled. We changed the name to Olivet.

Such a fun time feeding her meele worms and watching them crwal around in her stomich.

imaguitargod said:
Yes yes! Catch and keep him, is it a toad or a frog? I used to have a toad for 5 years once. Named him Oliver and year or two later he started to trill at night. We looked it up and found out that only the female of that species trilled. We changed the name to Olivet.

Such a fun time feeding her meele worms and watching them crwal around in her stomich.

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/anurans/hylcin.htm

There, that's him, second picture down on the right.

I bought my father a CD of night sounds once, and I was so surprised at the trilling sound that toads make. I had always thought that was crickets.

I love tree frogs...Also love when the peepers come out, the frogs that make the peeping noise at night. That is when I know it is spring time. I would keep him there as I agree that he is probably eating something that you don't want around. He might even bring good luck...

AlabamaJack said:
Pam...I will offer this, if you can't get lady bugs there I will get some and overnight them to you...what's your order...they are 9.95 per 1500-1750...

It's the least I can for all the tips you have given me...plus I want to protect "our" tepins....

will neem oil harm frogs?

AJ, that's terribly sweet of you, but if I can't find them locally, I can order them on line. The expense of having you ship them too me would just be too much. Thank you so very much for offering, though.

And, yes, neem oil would harm a frog.

Pam said:
AJ, that's terribly sweet of you, but if I can't find them locally, I can order them on line. The expense of having you ship them too me would just be too much. Thank you so very much for offering, though.

And, yes, neem oil would harm a frog.

;) any time Ms Pam...any time

Poisonette said:
You're new friend could be munching on your aphids anyway. That might be one of the reasons he's in there.

That's what I'm hoping, but I don't know if they eat bugs that small.

GrumpyBear said:
you could catch him and keep him in a little terrarium... or you could catch him, spray with soap (regular ol' dishsoap) hang on to him for a half hour or so wipe/hose (i don't know what the setup in the hoophouse is...) down the plants then let him go again... and repeat a few times... that's a little time intensive, maybe you should take AJ's offer (AJ you're such a sweetie!) the frog would probably appreciate the ladybugs as well...

That's not a bad idea. If he's still spotable tomorrow, I might try that. I have regular sprinklers in there that I ran during warm spells this winter. They really give the place a good soaking, so it should rinse off whatever I use. I'm thinking soap would still be safer. I even have a terrarium jar that I use when I rescue lizards from the cats.

Aww.. I miss those little things. When I was visiting my Aunt in FL, I used to catch them & again when my H was stationed in Charleston. They're so cute.

Pepperfreak said:
I love tree frogs...Also love when the peepers come out, the frogs that make the peeping noise at night. That is when I know it is spring time. I would keep him there as I agree that he is probably eating something that you don't want around. He might even bring good luck...

Oh, I love the peepers, too! Sends a shiver down my spine the first time I hear them in the spring! It means it's almost time to plant,

I get tree frogs all the time but this year I have two tree toads overwintering in some house plants, and now the cats have found them.:(

Our little green European Tree Frog has com back to us! they must bury themselves over winter! ours lived in the greenhouse up to june/July last year, then jumped off somewhere, he is now living among my lilies.
Leave him to get on with his life, he'll sort himself out! It's just nice having em around!

imaguitargod said:
I had a pet frog in the garden pond when I was a kid. He was called Uncle Kermit and lived with my pet goldfish called Billy Beef Burger and Freddy Fish Finger. Uncle Kermit used to sit with his head above the water in the sun and let me stroke him. I never kissed him to see if the rumours are true, but I've kissed plenty of others.

They turned him into a Toaaaaadddd...

rainbowberry said:
I had a pet frog in the garden pond when I was a kid. He was called Uncle Kermit and lived with my pet goldfish called Billy Beef Burger and Freddy Fish Finger. Uncle Kermit used to sit with his head above the water in the sun and let me stroke him. I never kissed him to see if the rumours are true, but I've kissed plenty of others.

Did you grow up on the Muppets? I use to love that show.

The muppets were on TV but I never really watched them. I just couldn't think of a suitable name for a frog apart from Freddy and that was already taken by my goldfish.

no Captain Kangaroo?

Back