• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Live Ladybugs

Any one have a good online source for live ladybugs? And do you think there will be any problems with shipping in this type of weather?

I have an aphid problem that I have been trying to deal with by using soap but it seems like every time I think they are gone a day or two later more show up. They are now starting to get on some of my seedlings from my overwintered plants. I wanted to avoid letting loose more bugs in the house but it seems like if I want to save my seedlings I don't have much of an option.

Thanks in advance.

I got some a month ago. Was in the single digits when they arrived but I'd say 98% were alive. Got them through a third party seller at Amazon. About $20 shipped for 1500. They work WONDERS, at least in my enclosed indoor greenhouse. I had a pretty severe infestation and after about 4 days I couldn't find a single aphid. That is not an exaggeration either, I looked and looked because I just couldn't believe they were THAT effective

Thanks everyone. I am going to get some from High Sierra's main site. They have a smaller container than what I found them selling on e-bay. Thanks again for the help. I hope this will take care of my problem once and for all.

Would it be a waste to use ladybugs if you planted outside but NOT in a greenhouse? I plan on putting out a more diverse selection of veggies and this could be a cheap way to control pests.

There are a lot of people that use them outdoors. They say to spread them after watering your garden and at night. I guess that is when they feed. They will stick around your garden as long as there is something to eat.

I think the rule of thumb was buy 25% more than you think you would need to make up for the fly aways.

Do not. . .I REPEAT. . . DO NOT order anything from Hirt's Gardens on Amazon.com. I ordered some last year and about 1/3 of them were D.O.A.

Great Post. Very good info! Wish I knew about this last year when I practically torched my mystery hab plant being overun by aphids, with a heavy concentration of soap, pepper seeds and garlic. She bounced back, but the whole ordeal knocked about 2 months off my growing season! Ladybugs would've been perfect!

Great post

I also got ladybugs from Hirts' Gardens, but they were mostly alive. HOWEVER, they generally wouldn't eat the bugs on the plants - would even walk right over them without pausing. Some say there are "domesticated" ladybugs vs. "outdoor" ladybugs, and you need to make sure you get the outdoor kind. Could be true, based on my experience.

You can spray them with water and soda(or something sugary) and it makes their wings stick together so they don't fly away for about a week. Really useful if you are using HID lights, which they seem to fly into.

I may try out Preying Mantis this year outside and see how they do, they will be the pets of the garden.

I got mine from March biological about a month ago (1500 Ct.) I put about half of them on the plants then, and stuck the rest in the refrigerator. I released the other half last night so they wouldn't end up dying in my fridge. I haven't seen many aphids as of late. They appear to do a great job. :woohoo:

I also got ladybugs from Hirts' Gardens, but they were mostly alive. HOWEVER, they generally wouldn't eat the bugs on the plants - would even walk right over them without pausing. Some say there are "domesticated" ladybugs vs. "outdoor" ladybugs, and you need to make sure you get the outdoor kind. Could be true, based on my experience.

There are several hundred types of ladybugs. I'm not sure what species each online store is selling. From what a friend told me, I think a lot of places are selling Asian ladybugs but I don't know if the consumer has any control over that. Maybe a little extra poking and prodding of the seller would make them tell you what they sell. That being said, I've heard some conflicting reports about Asian ladybugs being considered an invasive species (at least in the U.S.)

Back