• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Local's 1st Glog - Perth, Western Australia

Hey Everyone,

Quick intro, I'm from Perth in WA. Just bought a house recently so I now have some room to grow.

So I'm relatively new to this, I have only grown from seed once before but mostly just bought seedlings and grown them in pots.

Since I bought my new place I thought that it would be a good idea to plant my chillies in the ground instead of pots, well that was a mistake.

This is about two weeks after the replanting.

5vvc76.jpg

dr6q7b.jpg

21opw4.jpg

3442nvo.jpg

The winter has been a little longer than normal this year but they are bouncing back now with the weather heating up.

I now have all the seeds for this years grow;

- From Chilli Seed Bank
Scotch Bonnet Red

- From Hippy Seed Company
St Martin's Habanero
Butch T Scorpion
7 Pod Yellow
Sannam
Peach Fatali
Antillais Carribean

vxozvb.jpg

Have a budget setup for now to try to get these germinated, My light that I was using to keep them warm died last night so currently they may be a little cool but they are near a window during the day and closer to the middle of the room at night. 

5af1af.jpg

I'll be looking at trying a DWC setup for a few of these plants once they are ready too.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks again,
Damien

Bored at work = posting pictures of chillies

So the donations have all greened up and are loving the new digs.
2u4o6iv.jpg

2iau89h.jpg

And the DWC plants just keep growing. I'm not sure if I should plant these outside or leave them in here and get some good lights? opinions?
16gag77.jpg

yp9v8.jpg

Also have topped the OG DWC plant to get some lateral growth. It's coming along nicely now
2zy9buf.jpg

azgd2t.jpg

Busy weekend for me.

Decided that the LED lights were a little out of my price range, specially because I don't even know if I will keep the DWC going or plant them. So I just went with the CFL lighting.

I picked up 6x 24w lights supposedly 1250lm, 4x 3000k warm and 2x 6000k cool, So cost me $50 instead of $150~$200

280p4dz.jpg

25tu7o1.jpg

2ikdxrp.jpg

Roots of the plants are coming along nicely now too.. hopefully with some more light they will really take off
akxrac.jpg

New growth after topping the bonnet in the bucket
2vikugx.jpg

Hey mate looking really good those plants have really greened up glad they went to a good home :)

Your indoor setup looks great too. This weather is perfect for growing, even since catching up the other day my plants have gone nuts and my bhuts are fruiting heaps now too.

You should get some fruit soon.

Jase4224 said:
Hey mate looking really good those plants have really greened up glad they went to a good home :)

Your indoor setup looks great too. This weather is perfect for growing, even since catching up the other day my plants have gone nuts and my bhuts are fruiting heaps now too.

You should get some fruit soon.

The outdoor ones have some new growth on them too... 
I'll take some pics from the outside plants today, there's a few flowers starting on most of the plants so I think you're right :)

Good stuff! I like the compact dwc setup, very cool.

I'm not sure about there but the weather here in Vic has been painful the last little while.

Yeah I think we've swapped with Melbourne at the moment. One day it's pissing down with rain, the next it's 35 degrees.

But at the moment it's hanging in the mid 30's and humid.. so perfect for chillies  :party:

All in all this summer has been perfect for chillies, only had a few hot days near 40 (hasn't reached 40 in Pinjarra) and the rain was needed.. probably not so much.

Rael, I'll be in Melbourne this weekend if I tell my missus it hailed she will totally flip out about what clothes to bring lol

Update again... 
Still haven't taken photos of the outside plants, but the DWC setup has doubled in size since I've upgraded the lights.
2ptv380.jpg

sqi4ac.jpg

5l3xc2.jpg

rad9c0.jpg

The thickness of the 1st Bonnet has about tripled in the last 2 weeks
30mqyi1.jpg

2w4mzw7.jpg

2mnf1g3.jpg

zkfodj.jpg

picz.jpg

Also germinated some Lychee seeds which are sprouting quite nicely now :)
975dw8.jpg

Finally got some pictures of the garden bed now. they seem to just be getting over the shock of being in the ground and there are a few flowers popping up now which is great news for the season  :dance:
14kjl1l.jpg

1zyk28o.jpg

Also thought I would mention the size of the leaves on one of the DWC bonnets. Should I switch to bloom nutes now? They are still on the grow nutes that I bought at the start.
2zdzv53.jpg

Hey mate they are looking awesome. They way this season is dragging on I reckon you will get fruit on your indoor and outdoor plants. Probably will be a mild winter too.

I would probably switch to bloom nutes..

Picked a crap load of chillies yesterday I'll put them on my glog tonight!

Jase4224 said:
Hey mate they are looking awesome. They way this season is dragging on I reckon you will get fruit on your indoor and outdoor plants. Probably will be a mild winter too.

I would probably switch to bloom nutes..

Picked a crap load of chillies yesterday I'll put them on my glog tonight!

Yeah, I'm going to pick up some ingredients for your homemade fertz tonight and make up a batch.. I've only been using Seasol and Powerfeed on the outdoors at the moment. 

But yeah I think you're right, I should switch to bloom. try and get some fruit on the DWC setup. 

I will be looking forward to seeing your haul tomorrow morning then :P

Nice DWC setup bro ... Thanks for the heads up ... Do you get algae issues having a clear container??
Best of continued luck for the rest of the season!

Trippa said:
Nice DWC setup bro ... Thanks for the heads up ... Do you get algae issues having a clear container??
Best of continued luck for the rest of the season!

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment.. I threw myself into the deep end and somehow came up good :P

But no, haven't had any algae issues at this stage. The top is black so that might help I guess, I flush the water about once a month too so that may help as well.

But yeah all up I think I have spent maybe $200-$250 for absolutely everything including nutrients (keep in mind I'm in Western Australia and everything is stupidly expensive over here) So considering I have the whole setup for the price some people pay for just a light I'm pretty happy  :party:

But yeah I would say that if you want to experiment to go down the same path in case you don't like it. But I can say that the lighting does make a massive difference.

LocalFart said:

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment.. I threw myself into the deep end and somehow came up good [emoji14]

But no, haven't had any algae issues at this stage. The top is black so that might help I guess, I flush the water about once a month too so that may help as well.

But yeah all up I think I have spent maybe $200-$250 for absolutely everything including nutrients (keep in mind I'm in Western Australia and everything is stupidly expensive over here) So considering I have the whole setup for the price some people pay for just a light I'm pretty happy  :party:

But yeah I would say that if you want to experiment to go down the same path in case you don't like it. But I can say that the lighting does make a massive difference.
do you recirculate the nutrients constantly in that set up??

Trippa said:
do you recirculate the nutrients constantly in that set up??
Yeah, there's a bucket on the ground that the two containers drain into, I have a pump in there to keep the water moving :)

I can take a pic of the whole thing if you like? Then you should be able to see the whole setup.

RaelThomas said:
That Bonnet is looking super happy!
It's nuts, and strong, it's getting harder to see the stem because the leaves are just everywhere  :rofl:

By the way ... Just saw your post regarding the shape of your scotch bonnet ... Its not unusual to get non bonnet shapes on perfectly good SB genetics (especially early season/first pods) ... I gave PaulG some great SB TFM seeds years ago which gave me great bonnet shapes but he didn't get any bonnet shapes at all in his first season but I believe he got bonnet shapes at a later date ... He can confirm that story though as I am a little hazy on the details

Back