• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Local's 1st Glog - Perth, Western Australia

Hey Everyone,

Quick intro, I'm from Perth in WA. Just bought a house recently so I now have some room to grow.

So I'm relatively new to this, I have only grown from seed once before but mostly just bought seedlings and grown them in pots.

Since I bought my new place I thought that it would be a good idea to plant my chillies in the ground instead of pots, well that was a mistake.

This is about two weeks after the replanting.

5vvc76.jpg

dr6q7b.jpg

21opw4.jpg

3442nvo.jpg

The winter has been a little longer than normal this year but they are bouncing back now with the weather heating up.

I now have all the seeds for this years grow;

- From Chilli Seed Bank
Scotch Bonnet Red

- From Hippy Seed Company
St Martin's Habanero
Butch T Scorpion
7 Pod Yellow
Sannam
Peach Fatali
Antillais Carribean

vxozvb.jpg

Have a budget setup for now to try to get these germinated, My light that I was using to keep them warm died last night so currently they may be a little cool but they are near a window during the day and closer to the middle of the room at night. 

5af1af.jpg

I'll be looking at trying a DWC setup for a few of these plants once they are ready too.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks again,
Damien

Update time - Hydro's starting to flower and outdoors starting to fruit.

2pq9mgw.jpg

2rhqkvr.jpg

f58t55.jpg

Here is my whole setup for those who are interested, mind the mess  :shh:
102qyqb.jpg

My Sannam's are wayy higher than the bonnets so I'm having a little trouble keeping them off the lights. I may need to pot this one to free up room for the others
33oiour.jpg

Outside plants have been hit with some pretty hot days, they are still surviving but there was about 3 or 4 days of pretty close to 40C heat.
2060l5.jpg

xpaf4o.jpg

311kjsk.jpg

My first Bhut
28rpj04.jpg

Looking good mate. I would totally mulch around those outside plants though.. couple of inches of CCC or lucerne mulch would be ideal.

Jase4224 said:
Looking good mate. I would totally mulch around those outside plants though.. couple of inches of CCC or lucerne mulch would be ideal.

Yeah I've really been meaning to... I'll need to free up some cash I guess.

Update for the DWC -

So they are out growing the system. Looks like I will have to plant a few in pots outside to clear up some room...
But on the bright side. getting some flowers on one of the bonnets  :dance:
289acnq.jpg

rh8nb8.jpg

2wqbpxe.jpg

Another update on the DWC, the outdoor ones haven't had too much change. and are just starting to flower now, so fingers crossed I can get some fruit before winter hits.

The DWC may be getting too big for me now. I think I will need to thin it out soon. I'm starting to get a few falling over or pushing the smaller ones over to get to the light.
dg00fp.jpg

The Bonnet in the Bucket is doing great still... I might make him his own lights so I can get a bit more room.
ngwqd3.jpg

Here's the flowers from one of the unknowns, a few have started to drop which isn't a good sign :( I'll need to look into trying to get them fruiting.
2pq6iyc.jpg

Root systems are all still looking healthy, they've been in the same water a bit over a month now and the PPM is still over 1000 so I'll just leave them in there until it comes down a little.
2is9ksy.jpg

I've taken the last of the seedlings that I had in the cups out from under the lights. I need to get them into pots but haven't had the time/cash to go and buy some.
2ng98v8.jpg

Once the weather fines up a little I should be able to get some pics of the plants outside. There's a pretty mean looking Bhut out there.

As promised, have some pics of the garden today. The weather has fined up a little so it's given me a chance to thin out the DWC and plant some of the seedlings into pots. I'm not too sure what kind of harvest I will get this year but hopefully it'll be something and I may be able to overwinter quite a few of the plants ready for next season anyway.

So here's some pics.
Bhut thats coming along nicely.
2mz0bj6.jpg

Found this little guy today. Building an army
35jz992.jpg

Now I'm also going to post a new thread to try to get some help but the leaves on all my outdoor plants have done this. It might have been because I was over watering them but I cut them right back to about once a week since I noticed and it's been about 3 weeks now with no improvement.
2qi9v6d.jpg

32zoqia.jpg

auv5e0.jpg

New homes.
2nalf9k.jpg

zyhqx2.jpg

15sadz4.jpg

Bad news time. I found bugs, I found alot of bugs...
Aphids, thips, Mealy bugs and more. So I decided to nuke my plants... no point in introducing predatory insects because it's the end of the season.

So I gave them a dose of these two to try and kill everything.
9a3jpz.jpg

On the plus side. My DWC has it's first fruit :D
efpc77.jpg

With plenty of flowers to follow, at the moment I'm manually pollinating the flowers with a que-tip, are there better ways to do it?
2e1re5d.jpg

28sogwo.jpg

Here are the plants that I've pulled from the DWC and the shed. They seem to be doing okay, still not as good as some people on this forum can grow :(
2r2vml5.jpg

LocalFart said:
Bad news time. I found bugs, I found alot of bugs...
Aphids, thips, Mealy bugs and more. So I decided to nuke my plants... no point in introducing predatory insects because it's the end of the season.

So I gave them a dose of these two to try and kill everything.

On the plus side. My DWC has it's first fruit :D

With plenty of flowers to follow, at the moment I'm manually pollinating the flowers with a que-tip, are there better ways to do it?

Here are the plants that I've pulled from the DWC and the shed. They seem to be doing okay, still not as good as some people on this forum can grow :(
Worry not, I spent a fortune on my first big grow and got virtually nothing from (except experience!). When did you start your seeds? I'm thinking a tad late? I know it's colder here in Vic but ideally I would start in July. Not September, as I did this year.

Pity about the pests. I just got hit with some nasty aphids, too. Fortunately, the worst affected were my plants that never made it to the ground,so I turfed some of them.

What kind of lows do you get in winter where you are?

Yeah I started in August. But didn't give the seedlings enough lights so I had nearly 0 growth for about 3-4 months, it wasn't until I upgraded the lights that I got anywhere... definitely going to be prepared this year though... I'm going to start early and have the light cranked :)

But yeah there are only a few morning that will get down to zero here. and up next to the house wrapped up in shade cloth I'm hoping they survive and can get massive next season.

Or you could start late in October, so when your seeds sprout they can go straight out in the sun.. you should start getting fruit on them by January. Sound silly to start so late but believe me if they germ in the sun and go out right away they will catch up and go crazy.. and cost you next to nothing on electricity other than a heat mat to get them up.

That Damage on the outdoor plants looks like Broadmites ... Looks like you have some great growth in the DWC ... Nice work

Trippa said:
That Damage on the outdoor plants looks like Broadmites ... Looks like you have some great growth in the DWC ... Nice work
Yeah I'm thinking so too.. not having a great time with problems:(

Jase4224 said:
Or you could start late in October, so when your seeds sprout they can go straight out in the sun.. you should start getting fruit on them by January. Sound silly to start so late but believe me if they germ in the sun and go out right away they will catch up and go crazy.. and cost you next to nothing on electricity other than a heat mat to get them up.
Hmm really? I thought that but I always seem to loose them outside. though. But I might try both methods :) see which ones better I guess. 

Alas the bad news keeps coming. Bugs have gotten into my DWC as well.. I'm guessing on the back of flys or moths?
10r5xja.jpg

11tvjx2.jpg

96xhra.jpg

But the outdoor plants are flowering now. even though I've pinched off most of the infested leaves.
1z5lowj.jpg

Some good news, the garden is bouncing back after the savage beatdown it received.

Some of the flowers are taking hold and fruiting :)

o6xyxe.jpg

The 7Pot
mto7f6.jpg

Habanero 
2qsavpk.jpg

Bhut
5u4ktd.jpg

Some of the ex-DWC and the seedlings that came out from the shed
23kdj4n.jpg

Update.

So garden plants are coming along great. the recent sun has set them into bloom mode :)
11j88c5.jpg

64p575.jpg

3537fpk.jpg

219rrjc.jpg

And the DWC setup is coming along nicely :) had a little aphid outbreak, the dishwashing liquid seemed to make it worse :( so used some pyrethrin and killed them all :)

24g0tty.jpg

v5v6zo.jpg

nccpqo.jpg

Back