• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Longest chile competition

Big Jim AND Whippets going in....double up on my chances. I don't know why we even try though. Potawie is gonna kick our tails!

Hmmm ... I do have Big Jim on my growlist this year.

The only thing I've ever grown that came anywhere close to 17" was this:

GiantCarrot.jpg

I'm pretty sure that doesn't count though ...

That's the cutest little lady holding what has to be the ugliest pepper I've ever seen!

I'm in on the competition. I like the ones without a bunch of silly rules. May the biggest one win!

I started germinating my Big Jims 3 days ago. No tap roots yet. I only used two seeds. Tonight I decided to try scarifying one to speed things up a bit. It's my first try at scarification so I'm not sure if I did it right. I just snipped a bit of the shell off where the tap root comes out. I held the seed up to my lights so I could see the embryo and not damage it in the process. Hope it works.

If anyone needs Big Jims for the contest let me know. I have plenty left that I just got from tradewindsfruit.

I just ordered 250 seeds of Joe's Long aka Whippet's Tail. $3.50 for 25, $4.50 for the 250, so if anyone wants some let me know.

Can it be a sweet pepper? I do have big jim's, but I don't think they are a very long peppers.
I have a sweet one that's suppose to get 10 inches. Can it be any pepper?

Highalt, she's a cutie!

The only seeds in my bank that grow long at all are NuMex Las Cruces Cayenne. I was not planning on growing them this year but I might throw in one or two just to have something to enter that might be respectable. I have a second batch of seeds that I am planning on starting in about a week. So, as long as they germinate I am in.

The two Big Jims I sowed both busted through their shells last night. I'm hoping to see hooks in a few days.
IMAG0039-1.jpg

Let see some pics of everyone's progress.

What the heck I'm in. I don't stand a chance since this is my first year growing from seed. BUT, I do have 4 NuMex Big Jims going already. I have high hopes for Curly here:

591AE0DA.jpg

Here we go

IMAG0543.jpg

Sante Fe Grande up front, then Numex Heritage Big Jims, Joe's Long Cayenne, and some dodgy looking early jalapeno at the back.

here we are a 14" cayanne
4QXih.jpg

I know this competition is laid back and just for fun but if you have a Chile that breaks the world record, you gotta have a pic of it in front of a ruler to back it up. Also it would make sense to come up with an accepted universal way to measure the chiles. Is it just the length it covers on a flat ruler or the length of a string measurement on the outer curve of a Chile that isn't strait?

Back