The Hot Pepper said:
LOL... read his post he bought all SS. derp

Posted Today, 03:07 PM

The Hot Pepper, on 10 Aug 2015 - 4:44 PM, said:
The Hot Pepper said:
Stainless steel all the way.
LEM has good refurbished deals...
http://www.lemproduc...bished-products
You can also write to them and ask about open box and scratch and dent and they will send you a list.

Oops nm. I'll leave for others.

Thanks dude! Just ordered this one today  :cool:

---------------------

Gary being the super smart pod picking madman of course asked for the stainless trays ;) The refurb one does not allow that choice

JoynersHotPeppers said:
---------------------

Gary being the super smart pod picking madman of course asked for the stainless trays ;) The refurb one does not allow that choice

I said they have many choices and refurbs and scratch and dent. I'd go all SS too.

You are trying to play some gotcha game.

I'm out.

gangaskan said:
is there a need for one?   i have a real cheap one from aldi i believe, but i havent used it, kinda dont like the whole no timer thing.  
What you need is one of those outlet timers. Like you would use for outdoor christmas lights or something. Plug it in and it will turn off at the time you want.. like this $8 and your dehydrator has a timer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LBHBLEU/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1439946235&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=light+timer

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Ciao, Gary post some pictures of that beast when it arrives. I want to know how fast it can dry a full 10 tray load on like 115, looks like a solid purchase! 

The dehydrator came yesterday...UPS dropped it on its front door handle, so the door was bent badly enough that it was really hard to open and close. I took photos of the damage to send to the manufacturer. After that, however, I went ahead and hammered out the dent, because, by God, I was not about to wait for a new door to arrive before before I started using this thing...I've got literally two pecks (4 gallons) of fresh red Lumbre Chile to dry!!!

The build quality appears to be excellent. Everything fits together very well. The stainless steel case is brushed, shiny, and gorgeous. The handles on the top and the LEM logo etched into the front door are very nice touches:

dehy2.jpg

The controls are clear, unambiguous, solid, and un-fiddly. I would like, however, to see temperature calibrations on the knob. Anywhere between the lower and upper limits of 90ºF to 150ºF is a guess at best...

dehy5.jpg

This is where the rubber meets the road: I have only half the trays installed, because some of the larger chiles needed the extra room. These are all the New Mexico Chile variant "Lumbre," from Faron Lytle in Hatch, NM. The super-wrinkly ones had already begun to dry on the plant. The heating element is in the back of this cabinet, and the hot air is forced forward, across the trays, and through the vents in the front door by a large-diameter, very quiet fan. This thing is so quiet I have to put my ear right next to the cabinet to hear it running...

dehy1.jpg

More later, when I've had a chance to really put this unit through its paces...I've got plenty of Lumbre chiles to dry. These are the pods that wouldn't fit in the dehydrator last night:

lumbre1.jpg

I have this one from Sportsmans Guide, plus I have 2 Nesco Garden Masters. They all work good for me.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-food-dehydrator-stainless-steel-10-tray?a=876424

Very nice Gary! I have the same issue about having to skip trays on mine which led me to ask about details around this one as well. Looks like I will just need another machine since there is no way around skipping for the bigger pods unless you cut the peppers more than just in halves. 

Thanks for the detailed feedback and pictures! Looking forward to your drying adventures. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Very nice Gary! I have the same issue about having to skip trays on mine which led me to ask about details around this one as well. Looks like I will just need another machine since there is no way around skipping for the bigger pods unless you cut the peppers more than just in halves. 

Thanks for the detailed feedback and pictures! Looking forward to your drying adventures. 

Thanks Chris! I burned through the 4 gallons of Chile Lumbre with the thing running continuously for about 3 days. (The literature said to never leave the unit unattended while it was running, but that's just ridiculous, so I imagine their lawyers made them put that in there as a "CYA" measure.)...I can't really tell what the temp is set on…I'll take a photo of the knob's attitude when I update my findings. What struck me the most is how uniform the drying is, compared to the circular plastic Wal-Mart dehy I was using before. With that one I was forever flipping over and moving pods around to get them all to dry…I never had to do that with the LEM unit, not even once...

Yeah I like the Excalibur for that exact reason, the dial is more exact and after testing with a probe it is spot on as well. 

As for the drying I agree, the air flow is awesome in those type of units and I love mine!

miacova said:
Following this thread since it started, and did a bunch of web searches and  read so many reviews, I felt like my brain was going to fry this is the one I ended up ordering this morning.

http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-3948CDB-Dehydrator-Digital-Controller/dp/B0115X5UGE/ref=sr_1_19?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1440530687&sr=1-19&keywords=dehydrator+with+timer&pebp=1440530694144&perid=1VQ7YEF9DN6TQTCE284E

That one is impressive! I'm guessing the air vents out of the sides?

Back