• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for a good Genral tso's chicken recipe

The recipe seemed to have all the key ingredients, someone try it out! :)

JayT owes me a new stove! I followed the recipe and my stove blew up!

Literally...... My stove Blew Up tonight!!!! I was following the recipe, had a CI on for the fry, had the wok on the front burner on med-high... everything is getting all happy-happy for the big wok dance... and then sparks were shooting out of the stove element under the wok!!!

EEEEKK! HolyShite! What-tha?!?!???

I need to re-wine before continuing.....

it was an ordinary night, as far as ordinary goes with chileheads in the house. I'd brought in a test bottle and the Kid had scarffed half the bottle with some saltines and cheese. Guess he liked the sauce. so much for dinner!

Little did I know how many electrons were conspiring to blow up my kitchen and ruin my Gen Tsao Chicken! Yes, they conspired, and wreaked the havok, but they did not foil my plans or ruin our dinner!!!!

In the begining, it was only an idea, a vague ammalgomation of flavors...
gentsao 060.JPG

Fresh veggies prepped, chicken thighs marinating in the egg whites, soy and rice vin, seasoned corn starch....everything set to EXPLODE!!!!!

gentsao 063.JPG

gentsao 065.JPG

AND THEN IT DID! ... explode.... literally....

The stove element shorted out and was shooting sparks out from under the wok set up. The Kid saw the "light show" and came out of his room....my startled "eek" might have contributed to his hasty response... :lol:

gentsao 067.JPG

gentsao 068.JPG

Not To Worry! We have a back up plan!!!! The BBQ!!!!!
gentsao 071.JPG

This is a true story that happened tonight. I had all the elements laid out for the GenT cook and the stove element exploded. Scared the ba-jeepers outa me! Honestly, I hate electricity, it hurts. I love what it can do but I don't like it in any way.

Anyway, I had everything prepped. Solution- move it out to the grill.

So that's what we did. Put the #8 CI chicken pan on the side burner, cooked off the breaded thighs. Uh Oh! No OVEN to keep it warm!!!! No Worries....I already had a cookie sheet out there, turned it upside down on the grill, with the covered plate of fried chicken thighs....grill heat on low.... there's the oven!

Put the Wok on the side burner and got it all happy, sauteed the veggies, added the sauce, tossed in the fried chicky bits,....

now, if I could only figure out how to operate the cell phone camera download, I could show you the pics from when the camera battery died to plating.......

Well after that experience SL I'm a lil nervous to try it and see what my luck will be!! Lol! Glad there was no major damage and everything worked out!!

RK07, don't be nervous! It was the stove, not the recipe! :lol:

Got the rest of the pics. and I have to say, I was really impressed with how the egg white/cornstarch breading really crispied up. I'm definitely going to remember that trick!

Another picture of the bbq warming oven-
IMG_20130314_193408_815.jpg

The "kitchen counter" and wok-
IMG_20130314_193352_535.jpg

IMG_20130314_193357_502.jpg

SUCCESS!!!
IMG_20130314_194542_496.jpg

IMG_20130314_194648_608.jpg

IMG_20130314_195120_346.jpg

the fallout-

IMG_20130314_193541_603.jpg

IMG_20130314_200807_233.jpg

It was delicious! The chicken was so crispy, and the sauce...could of been a little hotter, but I was cooking for the family so I kept it medium. I didn't measure the sauce ingredients accurately and it was a little vinegary, so I added some honey insted of sugar to smooth it out. The addition of the veggies (not called for in the original recipe) made it a one-dish meal.

Leftovers were Lunch today!

And the stove is back up and running. Checked it all out with the Fluke, found an old element...good to go!

Looks good! In NY they usually stir fry in a few florets of broccoli, so the veg is welcome.

trust-i- edit

fify~ ;) -delete-

Hubby's not big on the broc, so I stayed with fresh asparagus tips, and the rest. Fresh veggies in the hoisin-based sauce... MMMmmmmmm... Last 2 pics suck, taken under duress with a cell phone. It looked a lot better irl.

Heck, for me, just operating the cell phone is duress!!!! (Why do you think I keep the 'Kid around???)

:lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
Okay I looked for awhile, finally found this one, which sounds pretty spot on (or better) check it out.

attachicon.gif
general_tsos.jpg

Source: http://www.groupreci...os-chicken.html

Looks fabulous, gonna try this one of these days. Water is just drippin out of my mouth just by looking at that picture....
salsalady said:
JayT owes me a new stove! I followed the recipe and my stove blew up!

Literally...... My stove Blew Up tonight!!!! I was following the recipe, had a CI on for the fry, had the wok on the front burner on med-high... everything is getting all happy-happy for the big wok dance... and then sparks were shooting out of the stove element under the wok!!!

EEEEKK! HolyShite! What-tha?!?!???

I need to re-wine before continuing.....

it was an ordinary night, as far as ordinary goes with chileheads in the house. I'd brought in a test bottle and the Kid had scarffed half the bottle with some saltines and cheese. Guess he liked the sauce. so much for dinner!

Little did I know how many electrons were conspiring to blow up my kitchen and ruin my Gen Tsao Chicken! Yes, they conspired, and wreaked the havok, but they did not foil my plans or ruin our dinner!!!!

In the begining, it was only an idea, a vague ammalgomation of flavors...
attachicon.gif
gentsao 060.JPG

Fresh veggies prepped, chicken thighs marinating in the egg whites, soy and rice vin, seasoned corn starch....everything set to EXPLODE!!!!!

attachicon.gif
gentsao 063.JPG
attachicon.gif
gentsao 065.JPG

AND THEN IT DID! ... explode.... literally....

The stove element shorted out and was shooting sparks out from under the wok set up. The Kid saw the "light show" and came out of his room....my startled "eek" might have contributed to his hasty response... :lol:

attachicon.gif
gentsao 067.JPG

attachicon.gif
gentsao 068.JPG

Not To Worry! We have a back up plan!!!! The BBQ!!!!!
attachicon.gif
gentsao 071.JPG

This is a true story that happened tonight. I had all the elements laid out for the GenT cook and the stove element exploded. Scared the ba-jeepers outa me! Honestly, I hate electricity, it hurts. I love what it can do but I don't like it in any way.

Anyway, I had everything prepped. Solution- move it out to the grill.

So that's what we did. Put the #8 CI chicken pan on the side burner, cooked off the breaded thighs. Uh Oh! No OVEN to keep it warm!!!! No Worries....I already had a cookie sheet out there, turned it upside down on the grill, with the covered plate of fried chicken thighs....grill heat on low.... there's the oven!

Put the Wok on the side burner and got it all happy, sauteed the veggies, added the sauce, tossed in the fried chicky bits,....

now, if I could only figure out how to operate the cell phone camera download, I could show you the pics from when the camera battery died to plating.......

Rofl whilst reading this XD

Anyways super that u still managed to save diner !

Greets,

Oli

General Tso's Chicken is supposed to be hot and spicy but the stuff we get around here is just sweet. It isn't bad but it might as well be orange chicken.

Somebody ought to come up with a modified recipe that uses some of these god-awful super hots. Seems like there has to be a surplus of super hots in gardens since a person grows some, tries one, realizes how ridiculous it is and then has to find something to do with the other forty or so pods!  How about a General Tso's chicken that will spontaneously combust from all the scorpion-moruga-douglah-reaper-jolokia chunks fried into it!

I'd try it.

And in case you're wondering, of course I am growing these genetic monsters too.  :lol:

KitKat745 said:
General Tso's Chicken is supposed to be hot and spicy but the stuff we get around here is just sweet. It isn't bad but it might as well be orange chicken.

Somebody ought to come up with a modified recipe that uses some of these god-awful super hots. Seems like there has to be a surplus of super hots in gardens since a person grows some, tries one, realizes how ridiculous it is and then has to find something to do with the other forty or so pods!  How about a General Tso's chicken that will spontaneously combust from all the scorpion-moruga-douglah-reaper-jolokia chunks fried into it!

I'd try it.

And in case you're wondering, of course I am growing these genetic monsters too.  :lol:
haha..as good as that sounds...gen tso's goes straight through me as is...dont need it to burn straight through me like a hot piece if slag...want it to stay in my digestive tract if at all possible :)

but seriously these recipes look good!

salsalady..dang it if my stove didnt do that about month ago..was frying an egg in my big cast iron and i picked up the skillet for whatever reason..but when i sat it back down my burner started arching and smoking...woke me up quicker than the coffee...haha

Back