• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Looking For A Short Bushy Pepper.......

Hi there. So, just out of curiosity, does anyone possibly know of a short 'bushy' pepper available? Not variety or type specific. I guess I am not too sure what else to ask. These will be for growing in a flowerbed or for looks, not really for eating. I had Numex Twilight in the past, and currently waiting to try Medusa hopefully this year (but our shorter growing season is even shorter this year, we still have snow on the ground and colder than normal temperatures). My mom and dad enjoyed the looks of the Numex Twilight, but after a couple of years, it was getting taller, and apparently it did not survive this past winter (stored in a family members greenhouse). So I am basically asking if there is something that would remain short and bushy. Thank you.

Flavor and heat level does not matter.

Apache is what you're looking. It's a dwarf chili. Heat is low to medium.

Filius Blue, Black Pearl, Costa Rica, Fish and several other variegated and mutants should fit into this category.
Agree...would put my bet on the Black Pearl Oynx Ornamental Pepper...just an absolutely stunning plant.
I grew it about 3 years ago...and it was so pretty ..the leaves were almost black....a winner..it's an ornamental
pepper about 10 inches tall & compact...you won't be disappointed ...trust me on this one...get it.:point:
I don't know if you have enough time this yr,but maybe next yr for sure..container or ground.

Copied a pix on www
1650765191409.png

1650765447529.png

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I really like the Biquinho pepper plant. However, I did luckily source some Black Pearl seeds semi-locally, in my province, and ordered them. Hopefully they will arrive early this week. I will try out 1 or 2 seeds and get them going and hope for the best this year. I will be using my desktop lamp grow light to hopefully speed up their growth till I can safely plant them outdoors. I am hoping to have the plant in its pot outside in mid June at the latest, if everything goes as planned.....

Thank you all again.

Agree...would put my bet on the Black Pearl Oynx Ornamental Pepper...just an absolutely stunning plant.
I grew it about 3 years ago...and it was so pretty ..the leaves were almost black....a winner..it's an ornamental
pepper about 10 inches tall & compact...you won't be disappointed ...trust me on this one...get it.:point:
I don't know if you have enough time this yr,but maybe next yr for sure..container or ground.

Copied a pix on www
1650765191409.png

1650765447529.png
It looks very good, a lot bushier than Apache. How does it taste? Could interesting to cross with Apache.

My Apache is now a year old.
Apache.png

At beginning it was bushier.
IMG_20210523_095704957.png

It looks very good, a lot bushier than Apache. How does it taste? Could interesting to cross with Apache.

My Apache is now a year old.
Apache.png

At beginning it was bushier.
IMG_20210523_095704957.png
As I recall it was rather mild tasting,and a bit citrusy...nothing to write home about in terms of taste...but could be dried
and use for flakes or to tame/calm down a too hot sauce...that being said it is a spectacular specimen
and a great conversation piece...and that along makes it a top choice for decorating the garden.IMO..Beautiful.

Last edited:
Thank you for that one. Another good candidate to possibly try next year. At this rate, I will no longer be growing my usual hot chilis, but rather a whole lot of neat short peppers. Lol.

You might also want to consider Aurora, Hot Pops, and NuMex April Fool's Day.

Wicked has more usable peppers than most ornamental types. I grew it for the first time last year and was pleasantly surprised. The heat and flavor of the pods reminded me a bit of Fresno peppers, but these are more colorful and grow on a smaller plant.

NzwZpwx.jpg

NuMex April Fool's Day

8KpCJD6.jpg

Wicked and Santos Orange

Just a tiny update. I did sucessfully germinate 2 black pearl seeds as well as 2 Medusa seeds. They were germinated in a coffee filter and had a good start when I transplanted them into 4" pots on Saturday. With any luck, I should see sprouts this coming week! Just hopefully that I get something out of them this year as it is a very late start for me.

Back