• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Looking for RED JALAPENOS!

Red, ripe jalapenos are usually kept as the growers personal stash XD 

Personally, I have a hard time even being patient enough to let them ripen... since we use the hell out of jalapenos.

Thats why this season I planted 62 jalapeno seeds... (Im counting fresnos as a jalapeno variety... someone correct me if that is a stretch [first time growing them]). 

Noah Yates said:

Personally, I have a hard time even being patient enough to let them ripen... since we use the hell out of jalapenos.

Thats why this season I planted 62 jalapeno seeds... (Im counting fresnos as a jalapeno variety... someone correct me if that is a stretch [first time growing them]). 

ive never been able to get them red here in PA... oh well.

Yeah... it would probably be like calling a serrano a jalapeno (they are similar but very diff)  Its my first time growing fresnos... so im excited to try them.

so I planted 37 seeds of two varieties of jalapeno, 12 serranos, and 25 fresnos.

Noah Yates said:
Yeah... it would probably be like calling a serrano a jalapeno (they are similar but very diff)  Its my first time growing fresnos... so im excited to try them.

so I planted 37 seeds of two varieties of jalapeno, 12 serranos, and 25 fresnos.

Nice. That is a lot. I thought my 11 'peno plants were a lot. You'll have buckets and buckets full.

the jalapeno varieties are park's hot jalapeno and pepper joe's jalapeno.... I planted 25 of park's and 12 of pepper joe's...

however, i dont expect to have many of pepper joe's jalapeno, because last year i had 0/6 germinate from the same pack of seeds.

Love red jalapenos. Good luck getting your hands on some. 

Noah Yates said:

I hear you. I ran out of dried red jalapenos way too early 2013/2014 :( . I'm growing 3 varieties this season.

Fresnos definitely taste different. To me they are a little sweeter with a little bit different flavor profile. I actually prefer fresnos over jalapenos so far but I'm trying a different variety jalapeno this year and I have never had the pleasure of eating a dead ripe one.

O so you are getting crappy germ rates from his seeds too huh? Planted 10 giant aconcagua seeds and only two sprouted. Took forever for them to germinate too. One looks decent the other is kinda sickly looking. Last time I order from him.

Noah Yates said:
the jalapeno varieties are park's hot jalapeno and pepper joe's jalapeno.... I planted 25 of park's and 12 of pepper joe's...

however, i dont expect to have many of pepper joe's jalapeno, because last year i had 0/6 germinate from the same pack of seeds.

I completely agree about the difference in flavor profiles from jalapeno to fresno. To my tastebuds, fresnos have a sweeter, more bell pepper like flavor but with a touch more heat than your typical jala. I think I'm able to get away with substituting since I use them in our Cranberry Pepper spread. The cranberries tend to hide the subtle nuances between the two flavors. 

Back