• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Looking for RED JALAPENOS!

Noah Yates said:
the jalapeno varieties are park's hot jalapeno and pepper joe's jalapeno.... I planted 25 of park's and 12 of pepper joe's...

however, i dont expect to have many of pepper joe's jalapeno, because last year i had 0/6 germinate from the same pack of seeds.

Sm1nts2escape said:
O so you are getting crappy germ rates from his seeds too huh? Planted 10 giant aconcagua seeds and only two sprouted. Took forever for them to germinate too. One looks decent the other is kinda sickly looking. Last time I order from him.

Noah Yates said:
My germ rates have been fine with him... except for those jalapenos.

Well as it turns out... so far 11/12 of pepper joe's jalapenos have germinated this time around (from the same batch [packaged for use in the 2013 season]) .
I think this is a testament to how unnecassary and even dangerous heat mats are/can be.  The only difference in my method from last season to the current one thus far is that I am not using a heat mat this year.  The major problem with heat mats is that they dry out your media extremely quickly and unevenly... so that it becomes difficult not to over and underwater.  Moisture control becomes a nightmare and those higher temps and humidities promote fungi and dampening off.

Back