Looking to build UDS

Hi all,

I am dying to make a UDS but am unable to get my hands on a clean 55gallon drum. Anybody know where I can buy one in Canada?

thanks

"Jake"

Dude, 20 hours to get this one for $18! Had cooking oil in it, no toxins!

I'm pretty sure shipping to Eastern Canada from Vegas would be a bit much... ;)

I see drums on CL all the time..perhaps might get lucky?

I'm looking to do this as well...Do you need to panit the inside of the drum? Do you paint the outside with a heat paint of some kind??

moyboy said:
I'm looking to do this as well...Do you need to panit the inside of the drum? Do you paint the outside with a heat paint of some kind??

nope you get a barrel..burn it out... clean it out...spray it will cooking spray when you season it...as for the outside paint, just normal paint will work, the UDS never gets hot enough outside to effect the paint

i posted a link b4 with alot of good details of building a UDS

ugly drum smoker thread

another ugly drum smoker

and another one

I LOVE the third link........Top stuff......

As was said in it in regards to the charcoal basket, it will be the hardest thing for me to sort out....

But I was pretty impressed with the setup..

And just so I've got this right Bams....with a new drum you set a fire in it and let it burn out for a while, then you gease it up after cleaning, and then it's right to use (i.e season it?)

yup its all seasoned and ready to cook.. alot of guys run a load of charcoal through first to build up a smoke layer on the inside but most just cook with it

Still having issues trying to find a steel drum - I see one lot for sale for $10 but they have contained Isopropyl Alcohol which is rubbing alcohol.

From what I read as far as toxicity it is an irritant, and toxic in large doses (what isn't?)

If I give these a real good burn out, do you think they will be ok?

-"Jake"

Did you miss my link in post 8? Some guy in your town has some.

Doesn't the alcohol dissipate pretty much and especially with fire, I would worry about the lining inside and or paint in the drum more than the alcohol as I believe it would pretty much burn out.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry about rubbing alcohol. It's listed as an irritant because it is, just like lemon juice, or vinegar.

thehotpepper.com said:
Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry about rubbing alcohol. It's listed as an irritant because it is, just like lemon juice, or vinegar.
I just asked the guy to set aside 3 for me. When my buddies heard what I was up to they wanted in too. So if I am making one, might as well make 3.

Can't wait, they are about 15 minutes outside of town will pick up two tomorrow - don't think I can fit all 3 in the kia rondo at once

Thanks everybody!

-"Jake"

Back