Looking to build UDS

you dont have to worry about those barrels... start a big fire in them and let the barrels burn. clean out the inside and go from there

jakealbert said:
I just asked the guy to set aside 3 for me. When my buddies heard what I was up to they wanted in too. So if I am making one, might as well make 3.

Can't wait, they are about 15 minutes outside of town will pick up two tomorrow - don't think I can fit all 3 in the kia rondo at once

Thanks everybody!

-"Jake"
Nice!

jakealbert said:
I just asked the guy to set aside 3 for me. When my buddies heard what I was up to they wanted in too. So if I am making one, might as well make 3.

Can't wait, they are about 15 minutes outside of town will pick up two tomorrow - don't think I can fit all 3 in the kia rondo at once

Thanks everybody!

-"Jake"

What type of metal are they made out of and how thick is it? I had a friend make a nice one, but it started to fall apart after 20 uses because it was too thin. A good gauge of thickness for a smoker is 13-15. You can do OK with 15-18 as long as you add an additional "fire box" or box to keep the coals / wood in.

LGHT said:
What type of metal are they made out of and how thick is it? I had a friend make a nice one, but it started to fall apart after 20 uses because it was too thin. A good gauge of thickness for a smoker is 13-15. You can do OK with 15-18 as long as you add an additional "fire box" or box to keep the coals / wood in.

A UDS has a charcoal basket in it, the barrel never comes in contact with the charcoal..

I work in metal producing plant and we are always getting rid of 44 gallon drums... (205L) and I am getting 2 tomorrow....

One for me and one for Tony05. The only problem I have is the drums are fully sealed so I will have to cut the top off and work out a way to make the edge safe.

I will be hopefully using a webber lid on the top of mine as I am setting it up with 2 trays.

cut top of barrel with a jigsaw, grind down sharp edges with a hand grinder.. you can use a webber lid like suggested but you can also build a lid out of untreated wood for a temporary kind of thing

also remember that you want your lowest cooking grate(trays) to be 24" or 2 feet away from your charcoal basket

moyboy said:
I work in metal producing plant and we are always getting rid of 44 gallon drums... (205L) and I am getting 2 tomorrow....

One for me and one for Tony05. The only problem I have is the drums are fully sealed so I will have to cut the top off and work out a way to make the edge safe.

I will be hopefully using a webber lid on the top of mine as I am setting it up with 2 trays.

BamsBBQ said:
cut top of barrel with a jigsaw, grind down sharp edges with a hand grinder.. you can use a webber lid like suggested but you can also build a lid out of untreated wood for a temporary kind of thing

also remember that you want your lowest cooking grate(trays) to be 24" or 2 feet away from your charcoal basket

Thanks Bams.

I'm pretty sure one of your above links gives us a step by step procedure of how to set it up......

And thanks for the 24" info....That was a question that was going to be posted on the other forum....:lol:

BamsBBQ said:

Thanks I was wonder what I would need to cut it off! I am actually going to cut the bottom off, the barrels I am getting are closed lids and have holes in the top already. so In mine, it will be upside down. If I get a clean cut I can use it as a lid. I am going to get a buddy to weld a peice of sheetmetal on the bottom to cover up the holes.
Am going to pick them up in a few minutes - another friend lent me his Van so I can get them all in one trip. Just need to get them burned out before I can use them

-"Jake"

moyboy said:

I was going to say if you know anybody who does body work just borrow their doorskin installer. Even the hand one will fold the edge over nicely and evenly.

Back