• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Looking to converse with anyone who has knowledge on Ladybird/Ladybug

So i was hoping there may be some breeders on here, maybe just some people who are knowledgeable on the topic or just have an interest in them, both in adult or larvae form.

I saw something i sure didn't expect tonight. Well if you are in to ladybirds/bugs i am sure you will be well aware on their favorite food, aphids!

So you may or maybe not know about ants with aphids and how they farm them for the honeydew they produce? Yup if you did not know that, ants will indeed protect their aphids like we would our cattle from a predator. They will stroke them which causes them to produce the dew then suck it up and transfer via trophallaxis (This is how ants share food from their social stomach between each other) They will also move the aphids to the best spots and stand guard all day. They do sometimes eat them but not often.

I know what you are thinking, that i am away to tell you i found ants protecting the aphids that i want so dead to the point that i ordered 50 Ladybug/bird larvae and set them lose on my plants lol

Well no that is not what i witnessed at all! So i have been trying to clock a larvae eating some aphids but every time i see them they are usually just still on a leaf, so i thought maybe they are more active at night. I waited for sundown then turned the lights off, went up stairs and waited a while more to give them time to get active. So an hour or so has gone bye, i head down stairs  and what did i see? That's right the larvae looked to be farming the damn aphids! I saw him/her pick the little bugger up while i was watching through a magnifying glass and here is me thinking "Yay here we go at last!! My first time seeing one of my larvae eating an aphid, woohoo go larvae!" It moved the aphid from a normal part of the leaf on to one of the veins.  :confused: Yeahhhhhh..............

I bleep you not! The git looked to be farming the aphids ORrrrrr, and here is what i am hoping it is, that they are really shy in light and was away to eat it but i disturbed it ORRRRRRR  it is farming it but in a way that is still of  benefit because it was  fattening them up??? LOL Nah!!! There are plenty aphids for it to be eating without fattening the damn things up more. SO another ORRR i had in mind was that,  it was away to bed and brought itself a midnight snack so it would not have to move far from bed if it woke up LMAO!!!  lol !!! Yeah i know ok lol i know =p

Do we have any breeders or people well clued up on such matters that have seen this behavior? They are the 2 spotted UK native Adalia Bipunctata  if that helps.

Any replies even if you are no expert would be great too or from anyone who just finds this funny and maybe has an interest in the topic :)

EDIT: I just thought of one more ORRRRRR to add.......... i have a vegan ladybird/bug  :banghead:

Ever year I look for Ant farms to find aphid slayers.. Really fun to watch the ants trying to remove an adult ladybug, but I'd rather have larvae for pest control, as they tend to stick around better. This year, I found hoverfly to be pretty common on Burdock and composite aphid farms.. Employing this one to help me deal with an aphid outbreak on my indoor Pubescens. They pretty much mow paths thru the neat little aphid colonies.. That's how I find them. I wasn't sure how mobile they would be but this one seems to be getting around the one plant pretty well so far. 
BD28Kvpl.jpg

vWJ08Y0l.jpg

Does anyone know do we get parasitic wasps that pray on aphids in the UK and if they pray on the aphids will it affect my ladybird larvae?

I seem to have one attacking the aphids, it's tiny. All the aphids are making this strange shaking motion while the wasp is trying to sting them. This is insane to watch lol. I have seen the wasp that does it to spiders but this i am worried that it will attack my larvae

CraftyFox said:
Ever year I look for Ant farms to find aphid slayers.. Really fun to watch the ants trying to remove an adult ladybug, but I'd rather have larvae for pest control, as they tend to stick around better. This year, I found hoverfly to be pretty common on Burdock and composite aphid farms.. Employing this one to help me deal with an aphid outbreak on my indoor Pubescens. They pretty much mow paths thru the neat little aphid colonies.. That's how I find them. I wasn't sure how mobile they would be but this one seems to be getting around the one plant pretty well so far. 
BD28Kvpl.jpg

vWJ08Y0l.jpg

You should check out this thread as it is more active about the same subject tbh

Staff may want to combine the 2 threads?

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72155-natural-pest-control/?p=1649698

Back