• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Lowe's has a sort of coco coir.

Lowe's now carried a Burpee brand of compressed coco coir brick and also a 30 pack of pellets.
Seems a nice alternative to trying to buy online and pay for shipping if you don't want to go that route but want to use something other than soil.

Since I'm Joe Everyday gardener, I bought some today and will be using it for the majority of my seeds.
I still have a good supply of seeds and regular starting soil if it sucks. Not taking a complete risk. Just a big one.
I just started a bunch of seeds, and so far, the pellets are a bit of a pain in the rear. each pellet calls for 1.5 ounces of water but that much turns it into a soupy mess.

I used them a couple of years ago. The seeds germinated great, but they are a pain in the butt to expand. The directions said to put them in a cell and add water, but they would be expanded on top but still hard as a rock on the bottom. So, I took them out and I just put them all in a bucket, poured some warm water over them and let them expand like that. When they were done, I wrung the extra water out and filled my tray.

jacob

Diver, don't worry about following the directions too closely. Do what jjs did and just drop them in a bucket of water and wring it out after wards.

I buy the stuff from a local pet store in brick form. It says to add one gallon of water and let soak. That takes forever to hydrate then forever for the excess water to evaporate. If you use 3.25 quarts of the hottest water you can stand it cuts the time of saturation and evaporation. A huge advantage if you don't feel like waiting several days.

I'm using the Burpee pellets this year. They're really nice. I've had no problem expanding them. It seems like they've improved the formula.

What are yall doing with the pellets and the compressed coco and all that after the seeds are potted up? Are yall putting them in the compost pile or are yall tilling them into the garden? ¿Que?

The coco gets planted along with the seedlings. Roots love the stuff. Once it is expanded it is nice and fluffy. If I had coco to dispose of it would make a great soil amendment, but it can also be reused.

I bought the coco stuff from Lowe's and think it's great. I'm also using pro-mix. My local hydroponic guy recommended the coco fiber which I already had bought. He said the pro-mix was good but, the smaller perlite pieces in the pro-mix would give me problems with my pump. I've got fine 60 mesh strains on my drain tubes to catch stuff like that.

Mixing the coir coco was enjoyable. I only used a fourth of it because I did not need that much so a little water math was involved.

Cheers Mike:)

I am thinking about using it as a main in my mix this year to replace a bit of the peat I was using last year. I loved the peat but, I am always up for something new.

Back