• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Lumens vs. PAR

Ok, I'm going to post a link here to a site "on the dark side", but the info is very good none-the-less..

http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/f8/lumens-people-par-plants-lot-other-lighting-spectrum-info-37783/

I see lots of people talking about Lumens, and think we need to educate people on what we need to look for. I remember at a NJRC meeting we had Sanjay Joshi (Penn State professor, TONS of published work on lighting) do a presentation on lighting for our reef tanks.. Needless to say, I learned alot..

Take a look at the link, read the info (yes, its a very long post), and tell me what you think.. I know the reef guys have been hard at work on lighting almost as much as the reefER guys, lol, but in both situations, they obviously want to get the most out of their lighting..

ps. I'm not a member of the linked site, I wanted to start a discussion on PAR vs Lumens so I googled it, and well, I'm not a plagiarizer (is that a word?) so I just linked to the original material..

Thoughts???

I looked through it quickly and saved it for later time to really go through it. Some of it is coming back to me from back in the day "Physics classes/labs". I will enjoy it thoroughly.

Great article. I notice that in the discussion posts, some guy found
issues with a couple of the statements in it. On the whole, very
detailed and not so over-the-top techie. After reading, I felt pretty
good about my 5000K, 90 cri, 2250 lumen tubes and the 6500K, 84 cri,
2350 lumen tubes in my ghetto-shop-light-grow-table set up :cool: Not the
ultimate, but very servicable.

Thanks for posting this, Nagel - seems like lighting and fertilizing are two of
the main topics I run across in these forums.

Nothing wrong with the dark side. Live and let live!

Sanjay Joshi is a lighting GURU in the coral reef seen. This guy is probably the most knowledgeable person on earth regarding artificial lighting.

Back