• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

made a moruga,sapporo,takanotsumi garlic hot sauce

this is my small batch pepper sauce(test sauce)
added is 4-6 table spoons of garlic
1/2 large onion sweet
3 table spoons sea salt
3/4 cup of white and cider vinegar
1 cup of water
some fresh chives

blended all together cooked for about half hour or so blended again cooked again for another hour or so
froze to cool next day took out and cooked again then put in a jar let stand for a few days then cooked and got 15 ounces of sauce, so far tastes good.

going to let age for a bit the fresh is good but will give a 2-3 taste review at that time.

by the way until i get close to the exact sauce i want to recreate i don't do a ton of exact measuring, that part comes when i get the taste and feel once i get close...

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20130829171948973.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20130829171948973.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 51
  • CameraZOOM-20130901105335590.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20130901105335590.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 49
By Sapporo do you mean Sapporo Japanese beer?

i didn't see it on the list
would that mean its one of the peppers not the beer?? LOL
looks like it would be good

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
By Sapporo do you mean Sapporo Japanese beer?

i didn't see it on the list
would that mean its one of the peppers not the beer?? LOL
looks like it would be good

thanks your friend Joe
nope peppers free peppers from pepperjoe
PepperDaddler said:
Do you mean 3 tsp. of salt?

no i used that much salt it cooked down a lot and actually with that much salt you cant taste it! i do use rock sea salt

djinn said:
nope peppers free peppers from pepperjoe

no i used that much salt it cooked down a lot and actually with that much salt you cant taste it! i do use rock sea salt
thanks i never heard of a Saporro pepper before

Djinn,

You added all the peppers in the above pic to the listed ingredients? Must be smokin' hot!! I got some Takanatsume's from Pepper Joe too. Just stating to ripen for me.

I made a sauce over the weekend with Congo's & habs, onion, mango, pineapple, cider vin, carrot, and garlic. I didn't add salt. Upon tasting, sweet hits 1st then  heat follows immediately.Very distinct seperation of flavors. No "middle ground" I let my Bangoli  friend (Bangladesh) taste it yesterday and immediately said it needs salt. I guess salt's a key ingredient to marry the other ingredients together.

Valleyman said:
Djinn,

You added all the peppers in the above pic to the listed ingredients? Must be smokin' hot!! I got some Takanatsume's from Pepper Joe too. Just stating to ripen for me.

I made a sauce over the weekend with Congo's & habs, onion, mango, pineapple, cider vin, carrot, and garlic. I didn't add salt. Upon tasting, sweet hits 1st then  heat follows immediately.Very distinct seperation of flavors. No "middle ground" I let my Bangoli  friend (Bangladesh) taste it yesterday and immediately said it needs salt. I guess salt's a key ingredient to marry the other ingredients together.

vallelman

i did i would have thought it would have been, to me it was a great additive to food. i tested it last night with some other folks that like hot food and came to the same its a 6-7 out of ten. nice burn with lots of flavor, get some of the notes of the hotter pods. i was rather unimpressed to honest was looking for something a little hotter. i have always used salt it helps with anything you cook, how much one uses is what can be the difference.
i am now cooking almost the same pepper mix with a mango and ginger in another small batch to see what flavors i come up with.

i will tell you that the three peoples that ate that sauce last night at the ff draft wanted to buy a bottle. to bad for them i only ended with 15oz's and 10 are spoken for and 5 for me!
they will just have to wait until i get that one finished(to me i think i need more of a middle burn)

djinn

Greenguru said:
What does the froze to cool and recooked the next day do for the sauce? if you dont mind me asking thanks Dan

i only did that because i had no time or refrigerator  space to place it in, this way it cooled fast and had less time for the bad things to contaminate the sauce
i only recooked it so i would bring the temp up to bottle it.

djinn

Oh I do thank you for the input, was wondering if it was just away or process you like to use butt you are like everyone with no room or time, so I know the nasties are a no no. I am after all the info on the different way people use . It does get timely I have tried to start batches so I have pelenty of time .so do you think freezing it had any effect on the flavor ? Was it good or bad if any taste difference ? I did learn cooking it down to fit the bottle on hand , never thought about it witch would increase heat factor?Thanks again for the tips and tricks

greenguru,

Greenguru said:
Oh I do thank you for the input, was wondering if it was just away or process you like to use butt you are like everyone with no room or time, so I know the nasties are a no no. I am after all the info on the different way people use . It does get timely I have tried to start batches so I have pelenty of time .so do you think freezing it had any effect on the flavor ? Was it good or bad if any taste difference ? I did learn cooking it down to fit the bottle on hand , never thought about it witch would increase heat factor?Thanks again for the tips and tricks

well not sure on how it would have tasted if i didn't freeze it :) i will tell you that it did taste good and had a good heat but i wouldn't be able to to tell you other because it was a one off of the early peppers i had ripen. to be honest the folks that did eat it liked it and thought the heat was ok and edible and had good flavor, granted only one of them that has eaten it is used to eating hot peppers. i would like to be able to give you a better answer to the freezing part. maybe i should make a sauce that I split and freeze 1/2 and don't freeze to actually give you a unbiased flavor profile.
to be honest i am not try'n to be a asshole but would be willing to do such a thing as i have started to get some people to start tasting some of my sauces and give me some reviews/blind of course as far as what they are getting to see if there is a difference. 

i have put some thought into if it does make a difference but then again oil is oil, has always been my thought

djinn

Hi Greenguru, freezing doesn't really do anything to the sauce. When I've been short on bottles I've placed the left over sauce into gallon zip lock bags and frozen it till I needed it. You just have to bring it back up to 195 dF for 15 minutes and hot pack it as usual. Hope this helps.

djinn said:
greenguru,

well not sure on how it would have tasted if i didn't freeze it :) i will tell you that it did taste good and had a good heat but i wouldn't be able to to tell you other because it was a one off of the early peppers i had ripen. to be honest the folks that did eat it liked it and thought the heat was ok and edible and had good flavor, granted only one of them that has eaten it is used to eating hot peppers. i would like to be able to give you a better answer to the freezing part. maybe i should make a sauce that I split and freeze 1/2 and don't freeze to actually give you a unbiased flavor profile.
to be honest i am not try'n to be a asshole but would be willing to do such a thing as i have started to get some people to start tasting some of my sauces and give me some reviews/blind of course as far as what they are getting to see if there is a difference. 

i have put some thought into if it does make a difference but then again oil is oil, has always been my thought

djinn
thanks man I really Just wondered if you knew they was a difference, i am not sure of your process other then running out of day light- So to speak- and freezing to finish the next time free time became. Sorry I have been doing the record hot pepper holders and I am pretty much my panel of testers, That is why I am asking so many questions Thanks for the input if you do find time to get the experiment you mention please let me know about your findings. I also freeze a lot of my crop and that is what sparked my interest on flavor after freezing. This will be my second year making hot Sauce, Peace out DAN AKA Greenguru   
RocketMan said:
Hi Greenguru, freezing doesn't really do anything to the sauce. When I've been short on bottles I've placed the left over sauce into gallon zip lock bags and frozen it till I needed it. You just have to bring it back up to 195 dF for 15 minutes and hot pack it as usual. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help I am trying to gather input to learn more on this awesome hobby Thanks 

Back