• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Made six cases of hot sauce over holidays

My father in law started going through all his aged mash before I arrived in Florida for the holidays, and made sure he had an ample supply of woozies to do the job. We literally made six cases of hot sauce, primarily chocolate hab, but also some red savina, thai dragon, and bhut jolokia. One of the more interesting concoctions we made was a cranberry jerk mustard choc hab sauce, that came out really chunky due to the cranberry pulp...

For the most part, the mash isn't just the base, it is the sauce. The flavor of the individual peppers come out so amazing when the mash is finished fermenting and cooked down to the texture you like. However, the uses are limitless, depending on what you like to use it for, and you can add anything to it that you happen tp enjoy.

The cran didn't come through strong enough, so you can't really tell what the twangy flavor is. I think that's one that we're going to try again in the future to see if we can get it right.

How do you deal with all the salt used during fermentation so not to be salty tasting sauce? I've made lots of fresh picked pepper hot sauces just trying to get my process down with the mash. Thanks.

I don't think he wants to tell any family secrets, if his wife leaves then at least he has the mash recipe. Did you not just ask me for 7 Pod seed? Don't worry I'm not going to copy your sauce just want some help dealing with mash. Not willing to help a brother out huh?

It is a family recipe, but we simply make sure the ph is high enough to kill anything we don't want growing, and then we use a starter from a previous batch of sauce. I got the starter from my father in law.

BTW, PRF, I appreciate your seed offer. I saw that you'd lost some of your seeds to moisture, and after taking count of everything I had, I'm okay on seeds this year. In fact, I have more seeds than I can use...

Back