• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Made some purees and pickled peppers today

I like to make purees to save my peppers for later use. I usually make small batch sauces with them. This time I made several combination purees for the sauces I have in mind later. First and foremost is one I will simply call PAIN. It contains many of the hottest peppers in the world including, the Butch T, Jonah, Moruga, Primo and Brain Strain. I also made a Burkina Hab - Yellow Scotch Bonnet puree, a Peach Bhut puree, and the base for the sauce I named Asian Fire Dragon last year, but am renaming it Asian X (Ecstasy) in honor of CJ who loved it the most. It is a mix of chocolate peppers including Bhuts and Douglahs. I also pickled some peppers. They included Jalapenos, Bulgarian Carrots, Fresno, Long Hot, Kung Pao, a Peach Bhut, and a red one.I would say I processed about eight lbs of peppers. Right now I am experiencing Hunan hand, Hunan face, runny nose, sweating, and coughing. The windows were open and the fan was on, but it still got bad in here. The family vacated as soon as they got home, with a few choice words for me on the way out the door. Oh well, at the end I got a bunch of pretty bottles to look at!

100_0815.jpg

100_0820.jpg

100_0817.jpg
100_0818.jpg

100_0814.jpg

100_0819.jpg

100_0821.jpg

100_0822.jpg

100_0823.jpg

100_0826.jpg

Oh man!

Got a run down on the pickled chiles?

Somebody today posted about bread & butter style relish.

I'm not a canner but I might like to be liking giving it a go.

What was your recipe and process?

The pickled peps are a fiddy fiddy mix of water and white vinegar with a cup and a half of cane sugar, and half of a jar of McCormick's Pickling Spice. I heat the mix to a simmer, then drop in the sliced peppers and turn the heat off. I then ladle the whole thing into sterilized canning jars. They seal themselves when they are ready. This may not be proper canning technique, but I don't like to cook the peppers too long or they lose their crunch. I keep them in the fridge so I know they will stay good long enough.

Well technically, you are supposed to boil them again after you bottle them, but I skip that and just put the near boiling liquid in the sterile jars. It is still safe. Of course, I am only making them for myself and I keep them in the fridge so the Canning Police will probably give me a pass. You want a jar? I will send you one at your own risk!

JAYT!!!! You Are SOOOOOO BUSTED!!!!!!

actually, not really~~~ If you keep the jars of pickled chiles in the refer, you don't even have to put the chiles in the liquid. Make the vin/agua solution like you did, slice and stuff the chiles into the clean jars, and pour the hot liquid into the jars. They'll seal, and if they don't, you have them in the refer anyway~ Chiles stay as crispy as possible. If you do want the leave them out on the shelf until opening, then yes, they need the boiling water bath.

Nice Purees! Great colors, enjoy the hunan symptoms~~~~ ;)

Thanks RM. Yes PAIN is a very appropriate name for this mix. I am hoping to get about 30 bottles of sauce out of it. The picked peppers just happened. I had a bunch of Bulgarian Carrots (that I love) and a bag of jalapenos, the rest I just threw in to add heat and color. I will let you now in a week or two how it turned out.

Nice Jay, I was at the store last night and they had some really good looking Jalapenos, Fresnos and Orange Habaneros. I picked up some of each and will be fermenting some rings this week. Usually add a little sweet onion and a couple cloves of garlic to the mix.

actually, not really~~~ If you keep the jars of pickled chiles in the refer, you don't even have to put the chiles in the liquid. Make the vin/agua solution like you did, slice and stuff the chiles into the clean jars, and pour the hot liquid into the jars. They'll seal, and if they don't, you have them in the refer anyway~ Chiles stay as crispy as possible. If you do want the leave them out on the shelf until opening, then yes, they need the boiling water bath.

Or my even lazier approach- Once the open jars of pickled peppers start running low, just throw some more in. As long as it is kept in the fridge, it will be fine for months.

I have a quart jar of jalapenos that I pickled much last year and as they get eaten, the jar gets refilled with whatever pepper I have laying around. Right now the jar has japs, orange habs and white habs. It is an interesting combination and has a side benefit of heating up the japs.

Looks great! What's in the puree, just pulverized peppers, or is there other ingredients? I'd like to try the puree for the rest of my harvest that I don't dry/powderize.

That's what i have been doing also AJ's Puree and i hear you on the fumes esp when its dish washing clean up time, coughed so much reminded me of early 80's..
I went with the 1/2 pints and 4 oz. and i have hardly even downed a 4 oz. yet my heat tolerance is not up there yet.
Very nice work, i think a pint would last me over a year, finding it rough to build the tolerance.

Back