dehydrators Making a simple dehydrator adjustable

So, earlier this year my wife bought me a dehydrator (I think it was for Fathers day IIRC). Anyway, she didn't ask what type was best and just bought the simple one heat setting type.

Since I don't want to spend the money on another one until I kill this one, I'm looking into ways to make is run cooler so it doesn't darken the peppers as much.

Given how basic these things seem, I wouldn't think there is a thermostat inside, but most likely just an electric heating element and a fan. If so, I can't see any reason why putting a light dimmer in line with the dehydrator wouldn't work.

Anyone ever tried this or know of any reasons it would/wouldn't work?

i was so cheap, before my wife bought me a dehydrator, i use to put my peppers on a plate and set the plate on my furnace register. of course, we tend to turn the furnace on by Oct 1.

hope your design works for you.

You would have to make sure the current supplying the fan and heating element were on separate circuits. If they are separate, then you could splice in a potentiometer to control the heating element. Not as simple as an inline dimmer, since it requires opening up the dehydrator, but that won't work anyways like Scoville DeVille said.

Scoville DeVille said:
It would also dim the fan. you would have to separate the fan power from the heating element power.

Interesting thought. Just shooting from the hip here, but if the heating element was turned down to 50%, what would be the real downfall if the fan was at 50% too? Are you thinking that the heating element would overheat if the fan wasn't at full power?

Jeff, unfortunately I would be willing to bet there is a pre-set thrermostat built in to run it at a certain (safe) and normal range for most drying applications. Try using a meat thermometer to find out what temps it's running. If the temp spikes and drops repeatedly there is a thermostat in there. If that's the case you may be able to order a replacment from either the company or Radioshack that runs at a lower range. Will probably require some electronic/soldering skills.

At our house, I wouldn't be as worried about the heat my chilies would get - compared to
the heat I would get from my wife - for screwed up her father's day gift !   :rolleyes: 

stc3248 said:
Jeff, unfortunately I would be willing to bet there is a pre-set thrermostat built in to run it at a certain (safe) and normal range for most drying applications. Try using a meat thermometer to find out what temps it's running. If the temp spikes and drops repeatedly there is a thermostat in there. If that's the case you may be able to order a replacment from either the company or Radioshack that runs at a lower range. Will probably require some electronic/soldering skills.
You win the cupie doll. 

SanPatricio said:

At our house, I wouldn't be as worried about the heat my chilies would get - compared to
the heat I would get from my wife - for screwed up her father's day gift !   :rolleyes: 

Shhh. She'll never know. See below. 

So curiosity got the better of me so I decided to pull it apart once I got home from work. Here is what it looks like:

20131028_180155.jpg

Cut off temp 85 degrees C. :eek: I think we can do better than that, no wonder it was browning peppers and totally dehydrating the superhots in 12 hours. 

20131028_180210.jpg

A little searching on Amazon and I have a 50 deg and a 60 degree coming. Must be coming pony express from Hong Kong though. Amazon shipping said 20 days, but for the $5.00 (including shipping) I'll just wait. 

So the quick research I did says that the 50 deg one trips and 50 and resets at 40 so the average temp should be around 110F so I think this is the right one, but I got the 60 deg one just to experiment with in case it runs too cool. Also, these come in two varieties. Normally closed and normally open. I'm pretty sure that I want the normally closed one so that the current stays on until it reaches the cutoff temp, but  am no expert and the only thermostat I have changed before was on the RV water heater, so this is a tad bit different. 

I'll update this thread when the parts come in. 

Good on ya Jeff!
Now ya have a fully adjustable dehydrator. I think they make the non-adjustable ones for jerky and such as you want the temps a bit higher anyway.
The NC contacts are the ones you want. They stay closed until the thermostat hits temp and then opens up.

Awesome! If it wasn't for curiosity, where would this world be? I can't wait to see if it works. I have a cheapo dehydrator that I stray away from using if at all possible. Will have to do a little upgrade with mine too if yours works!

Danger.........Danger......Will Robinson

Thats what themocouples and thermistors are designed to do...........ya can't just throw a rheostst in........... :D

HopsNBarley said:
Good on ya Jeff!
Now ya have a fully adjustable dehydrator. I think they make the non-adjustable ones for jerky and such as you want the temps a bit higher anyway.
The NC contacts are the ones you want. They stay closed until the thermostat hits temp and then opens up.

Just a thought. I could probably wire all 3 thermostats up to a 3 position toggle switch so I would have a variable heat settings of 50, 60 and 85 deg C without having to open it up each time and change thermostats. That would be cool but would leave a visible switch on the outside.

Yeah, or a 3 position selector switch, but you'd have to do a little drilling and fitting to ensure each of the three sensors were mounted in a way that they'd be able to sense the heat properly. If all you're going to dry is peppers I would just stick in that 50C one and call it good. Still a little on the high side temp wise, but should leave you with good color on the pods. 115 is where I set mine to dry thicker pods like Manzanos and Jalapenos...so I think 110 will be a great all around setting.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Man hours + parts - NESCO with adjustable dial already paid for by the end....

But that would entail be actually having to admit to my wife that what she bought won't work all that well. That isn't going to happen. Anyway, I rather enjoy tinkering with things.

I think Shane has the best approach since I'm not drying anything but peppers. Pop in the 50C one and be done with it.

Jeff H said:

But that would entail be actually having to admit to my wife that what she bought won't work all that well. That isn't going to happen. Anyway, I rather enjoy tinkering with things.

I think Shane has the best approach since I'm not drying anything but peppers. Pop in the 50C one and be done with it.
Well you could use the current one for smoked pods that are already dark and a new one to retain color, have fun either way. :)

Okay, after a very long wait, I finally get to finish this thread.

The thermostats I ordered were from China and shipped from China in 4-6 weeks with free shipping. Well, they never arrived after 10 weeks or so. I gave up on them and ordered them from Amazon, paid a couple extra dollars and had them in 3 days.
20140203_174637.jpg

I ended up getting the 60C thermostats. I was going back and forth between 50 and 60. No real rhyme or reason for me picking the 60C one. Just my lack of patience. I don't mind waiting a couple of days for pods to dry, but some of you guys that dry at real low temps wait like 5+ days. Too long for me. I just wanted it cooler so it didn't darken the pods so much.

Soldered on in place and plugged it in outside to test it out. It ran at a pretty steady 50C which is just about right since it is a 60C thermostat. It shuts off at 60C and turns back on at 45-50.

20140203_191607.jpg

125degrees F is a heck of a lot better than the 185degrees it was running at.

Back