• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

preservation Making and preserving Sambal Oelek

So I'm interested in making some Sambal Oelek I was wondering if anyone has any experience, I've found several recipes on the internet but many of them do not agree on 1)the amount of vinegar to add 2) oil or no oil 3) how do I go about preserving this in a jar. I presume I can preserve it in small mason jars just as many of you do for puree for example. Any advice would be appreciated. If all else fails I will experiment and report back.

+1 to NorthernGirl
You'll want to get some Mason or Ball jars to put them on so that your sure of getting a good seal. using old jelly / salsa jars isn't always a good idea.

I would try to go with one that doesn't use oil, JMHO but I'm always cautious about using oil as it can cause a sauce to go bad faster. Also if your going to use any more than a small amount to saute with you'll want to use a pressure canner as the water bath method wont be good enough.

RM

Sambal oelek is supposed to be red peppers crushed in an oelek (indonesian for mortar and pestle) with salt and nothing more. It's traditionally made fresh in Indonesia.
The ingredient list of the jar of sambal oelek in my fridge says: red peppers, salt, vinegar. They add the vinegar in commercial sambal oeleks as a preservative. But it's not supposed to be there. If you dont want to make fresh sambal oelek each day, add as little vinegar possible to preserve. Or make the sambal without vinegar and freeze.

Selamat makan!

Thanks, Wancho! Awesome info.

WhamG~ if you just use chiles and salt, the stuff should be pressure cooker'ed for proper shelf stable dry storage. Or Freeze it. If you freeze it in flat (pint size) ziploc bags, you can break off pieces as needed and keep the rest frozen.

If you use vinegar, there's a little more leeway in the processing, but unless you have a pH meter, I'd suggest pressure canning or freezing.

Have Fun! and if you do this, we'd love to see pics and your story of how it went.

SL

Back