Making Chicken taste better?

DEFCON Creator said:
I thought the only part of the chicken you could eat was the wings.
Your right DEFCON, but I want to expand my tastes and I'm willing to try breasts thighs and drum sticks again.

Omri said:
Who eats grilled chicken breast? :shocked:

* raises hand *

As noted by many before me, it is what you do with the grilled chicken breast that makes it good. I like to grill it and then smother it in my own hot sauce and BBQ sauce. Heaven.

Chicken usually sucks because of dryness/lack of flavor....blandness. One simple step will get rid of both of these problems for you....I've actually grown to love this step soooooo much, I do it to all my meats almost all the time.

BRINE

make a solution with the ratio of 1cup salt & 1/2cup sugar : 1 gallon H2O(for those on the metric system i think the ratio is 1part sugar 2part salt, 17 part water)

you can substitute any flavoring you want to create a proper marinade as well...usually my favorite seasonings and diced peppers or your favorite hot sauce, you can also subsitute the water with beer, other stock, or any combination of anything that is water based.

a brine doesn't need to marinade over-night which is what makes it different from the marinade, in fact, if you let it brine for too long it will probably end up too salty.

for brining meats the size of, your hand, like a pork chop or chicken breast, no more than 1 hour is needed; but for lets say a whole turkey, 6 hours is needed

the high sugar/salt content of the brine pulls moisture out of the meat, thus unbalancing the moisture content in the pot/bag(whatever your brining in), then the moisture starts flooding back inside the meat, all the way to the center carrying with it the salt and other great flavors imparted on the brine.....YOU WILL GET THE JUICIEST PIECES OF MEAT THIS WAY PERIOD

Furthermore, my favorite way to make chicken is this:

Fried chicken: Beer, salt, and home made hot sauce to proper ratios, throw it in a pot to brine for 1.5 hours if already cut in pieces, or 4 hours if a whole chicken

cut in pieces after brining, coat with any fried bread mixture and set in fridge for 2 hours so flour or breading soaks up some of that bad-ass brine

fry

Grilled chicken breast...best damn chicken sandwich you'll ever have in your life, period....so good you can eat the chicken without the sandwich:

get a zip lock baggy, or use a "food saver" or other sort of vacuum system if possible.

Lay the breast out on a cutting board and beat it, kinda hard, but not hard enough to tear the meat...you should notice the breast flattens out.

Create a mixture of about 4oz of your favorite beer, .5 teaspoon of salt, and a tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce, or any pepper based flavoring agent mix it well, put it in the zip lock with the raw chicken, seal the bag leaving 1inch space at one end and suck as much air out as possible...don't get any raw product in your mouth, haha....probably more sanitary to use a vaccum food preserving device, leave it in the fridge for an hour no more than 2.5 hours(if you leave the extra salt out you can marinade overnight)

pan Sear or grill the meat off on high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side, throw it in the oven with a piece of tin foil very loosley covering the top for about 10 min at 350F.....this will give you the most flavorful juiciest piece of chicken you will ever have IN YOUR LIFE

Cover with your favorite cheeze and use your favorite sandwich toppings or serve with mash potatoes and gravey....hhhhhhhmmmmmmm

p.s. dont' forget to drink lots of beer

Back