• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making Ghost Pepper Sauces

I took delivery of fifteen pound of ghost peppers a couple of days ago and am looking for ways to preserve them.

Last year I simply froze them and that worked reasonably well as most of the peppers were used to make hot wing sauce and other recipes but this year I'm more interested in making my own hot sauce while the peppers are still fresh and was wondering if anyone on this forum has made hot sauces using fresh ghost peppers?

I realize that I could just make any hot sauce recipe and sub ghosties for whatever pepper was speced in the recipe but its been my experience when using ghost peppers that they are so hot that you need to make other tweaks of you just obliterate any flavor in the recipe.

My wife has already made several batches of pepper jelly using the ghost peppers and red savinas so I think we're good for jelly.

Any thought on making ghost pepper sauces would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm making quantities large enough to preserve, typically by hot pack canning so I'm looking for ideas that will scale up to say quart quantities.

gary

Ideally you would make a mash to serve as a hot sauce base for future sauces. If you are not up to a mash, then a puree. Peppers, vinegar.

Recently I took a quart jar of my standard Scotch Bonnet mix (bonnets, garlic, onion, liquid smoke, worcestershire)and i added 5 bhuts to it and left it a couple weeks. The bonnet mix itself gives a nice glow but now it's so much warmer. Didn't lose any of the taste just increased the heat.

15 pounds though, huh? Sounds like a problem we all would love to have.

Could i get that recipe of pepper jelly with the ghost peppers? I make a jam using 4c strawberries, 1c jalapenos, and add extra habs for the heat. Always like a new hot jam or jelly recipe.

My bhuts are weighed, frozen, vacuum packed and thrown right back in the freezer. When I need them for a sauce they are right there. Tgere are some good recipes on here, just start digging.

And :welcome: from PA

I took delivery of fifteen pound of ghost peppers a couple of days ago and am looking for ways to preserve them.

Last year I simply froze them and that worked reasonably well as most of the peppers were used to make hot wing sauce and other recipes but this year I'm more interested in making my own hot sauce while the peppers are still fresh and was wondering if anyone on this forum has made hot sauces using fresh ghost peppers?

I realize that I could just make any hot sauce recipe and sub ghosties for whatever pepper was speced in the recipe but its been my experience when using ghost peppers that they are so hot that you need to make other tweaks of you just obliterate any flavor in the recipe.

My wife has already made several batches of pepper jelly using the ghost peppers and red savinas so I think we're good for jelly.

Any thought on making ghost pepper sauces would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm making quantities large enough to preserve, typically by hot pack canning so I'm looking for ideas that will scale up to say quart quantities.

gary

Gary,

I have a recipe that I use for my harvests that tastes...well... almost too good. I use it on everything now. The heat is there, but the flavor is #1.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Welcome to the forum. Take a read through the Fermenting 101 thread that Chili Monsta and I put together. It will preserve your peppers flavor and color will stay fresh and the longer you let them go the better they will be. It will also reduce the amount of acid you'll need to add later on when you make your sauces as the process creates Lactic Acid.

Cheers,
RM

Back