• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making Hot Sauce 101

Neel said:
Do other people also find that after the sauce ripens a bit the burn changes? Made a sauce with 7 pots, mango, carrot and some other stuff and at first the burn was very up front and nearly dominated the flavour. After just a week in the fridge it takes a bit longer to kick in.
Yes i find the heat tends to even out after it's had time to rest. I like to give my sauces and relishes a couple weeks before passing out. the flavour profile changes greatly while sitting. More Balanced :)

Yes, sometimes it mellows, but sometimes it seems to get hotter. 

With the fresh salsa I make, when it's first made the Hot and Scorcher are...yea, sorta Hot and Scorcher.  But after a few days, it seems like the heat permeates all the fresh veggies, then it gets HOT and SCORCHER!  I think a lot depends on the ingredients in the sauce and No, I can't tell which make it hotter and which mellow it out.  :lol:  I've not paid that much attention.  :lol:  

salsalady said:
Yes, sometimes it mellows, but sometimes it seems to get hotter. 

With the fresh salsa I make, when it's first made the Hot and Scorcher are...yea, sorta Hot and Scorcher.  But after a few days, it seems like the heat permeates all the fresh veggies, then it gets HOT and SCORCHER!  I think a lot depends on the ingredients in the sauce and No, I can't tell which make it hotter and which mellow it out.  :lol:  I've not paid that much attention.  :lol:

Hey while you're in here is it ok to use Knorr beef or chix bullion and or Kitchen Bouquet in a shelf stable sauce?

:doh:  I should of known!   :lol: 

sounds interesting!  My only concern is that bullion or beef base is usually made from real meat products, which is a critical factor for sauces.  You probably won't be using very much at all, just make sure to keep it HOT while bottling and snug tight the caps.  Critical to get a good seal. 

Hopefully you'll have enough of that pinot noir for- one for the sauce, one for the chef, one for the sauce, 2 for the chef.... :rofl:

Worchestershire has anchovies, so does bottled dressing, and bloody mary mix, which also has clam broth, and beef broth, etc etc.

The Hot Pepper said:
Worchestershire has anchovies, so does bottled dressing, and bloody mary mix, which also has clam broth, and beef broth, etc etc.

If it turns out like I hope I'd like share it with friends here with out worries. I know meat products are kinda a no no for home canning/bottling ie. no pressure canner. I think Knorr beef is pretty far from being a meat product per say. I just wanted to get the ok from Ann. All proper sterilization, temps, and ph's will be recognized. 

:cheers:

Would miso help? I like tamari also.

Soup bases are already really processed. Should be pretty safe.

I have started a batch of fermented peppers for the first time. A fermentation virgin. Well, I did not use a lot of peppers, it's just a test run, but I did use all pods that wer fully ripe and deep red colored. I used two large sweet peppers and 6 or 7 superhots. I do not know what kind of superhot poison I can expect, but I guess I'll see son - if all goes well.

A small, yet potent batch,... 2 small carolina reapers, 4 large morugas, 2 7 pot primos and 2 sweet peppers (those deep reed pointy large and juicy peppers that are great for grill'n'stuff).

making-chilie-sauce.jpg

ferment-day0.jpg

I'll dilute it just a bit with vinegar in the end and I hope it will not be too powerful to use on pizza. I'll make the first one when the ferment is over. A week or so? :)

Hope it makes it. :)

I  was reading an article on a blog "LIVING HOMEGROWN" & found this info.,I wanted to   share & see if others have any thoughts!  It may have been covered here prior!
This is what I C&P below as posted on the Blog!

I’m sure you are familiar with the standard 2-piece canning jar lids. The flat lid sits on top of the jar and the ring tightens around it holding the lid in place as you process the jar in either a water bath or pressure canner. Most canners use this type of canning lid.
But did you know that it is considered unsafe to leave the ring on a canning jar AFTER it has been processed?
Sometimes when I mention this to people, I get a deer-in-the-headlights response. I think part of the problem is that few canning books even mention this.  Also, most photographs of canned foods show the rings on the jar. Heck, I’m guilty of this myself!  I like to photograph the jars while they are cooling (and the rings are on). I guess I am just excited and don’t want to wait for them to completely cool. But doing this gives the illusion that they are being stored that way.
Important: Now, let me be clear. The rings DO need to stay on the jars while the jars are cooling down after processing. They should only be removed after the jars have reached room temperature.
The main purpose of that ring is to align the lid properly on the jar and to hold it in place while the vacuum seal forms. After that, it has served its purpose.
Three Things Can Happen If You Don’t Remove the Rings

You can get:

1) A False Seal: The ring can inadvertently hold a lid on a jar that has a broken seal. In other words, if the vacuum seal is compromised, that ring will make it LOOK like it is okay even if not sealed. Then later, when you pull that jar off the shelf and open it, you may or may NOT be sure if it was already open or not. And depending upon how long that jar has been unsealed, you may not notice that the food is going bad.

2) Rust: Leaving the ring on can lead to rusting of the ring. Have you ever left a ring on and then later had trouble twisting it off because of rust? I have. Then as you wiggle and fight with the ring, you can break the seal on the jar…or was the seal already broken? Hmmm…Reason number one comes back to bite us again. We don’t know if we “just” broke the seal or it has been open for a week or more.

3) Mold: Yes, mold can grow under the ring and that can lead to the vacuum seal being lost. This happens because food sometimes siphons out of the jar during processing and gets trapped under the ring. As it sits, it begins to mold and that mold grows and can push on the edge of lid and break the seal. In fact, after your jars are completely cooled, you should remove the rings AND wipe down the jars to remove any stick residue. Then label the jars and sit them on the shelf.

How do I prepare a sample my chilli sauce to measure with a digital meter?  Should I use the pure sauce or dilute with distilled water?

smokenmirraz said:
How do I prepare a sample my chilli sauce to measure with a digital meter?  Should I use the pure sauce or dilute with distilled water?

Use the sauce as is, exactly as it is made to go into the bottles.  Do not dilute.  One thing to keep in mind, most digital pH meters don't work on heated or very cold sauces.  The sauce needs to be at room temperature. 

SL

wiriwiri said:

I  was reading an article on a blog "LIVING HOMEGROWN" & found this info.,I wanted to   share & see if others have any thoughts!  It may have been covered here prior!
This is what I C&P below as posted on the Blog!

I’m sure you are familiar with the standard 2-piece canning jar lids. The flat lid sits on top of the jar and the ring tightens around it holding the lid in place as you process the jar in either a water bath or pressure canner. Most canners use this type of canning lid.
But did you know that it is considered unsafe to leave the ring on a canning jar AFTER it has been processed?
Sometimes when I mention this to people, I get a deer-in-the-headlights response. I think part of the problem is that few canning books even mention this.  Also, most photographs of canned foods show the rings on the jar. Heck, I’m guilty of this myself!  I like to photograph the jars while they are cooling (and the rings are on). I guess I am just excited and don’t want to wait for them to completely cool. But doing this gives the illusion that they are being stored that way.
Important: Now, let me be clear. The rings DO need to stay on the jars while the jars are cooling down after processing. They should only be removed after the jars have reached room temperature.
The main purpose of that ring is to align the lid properly on the jar and to hold it in place while the vacuum seal forms. After that, it has served its purpose.
Three Things Can Happen If You Don’t Remove the Rings

You can get:

1) A False Seal: The ring can inadvertently hold a lid on a jar that has a broken seal. In other words, if the vacuum seal is compromised, that ring will make it LOOK like it is okay even if not sealed. Then later, when you pull that jar off the shelf and open it, you may or may NOT be sure if it was already open or not. And depending upon how long that jar has been unsealed, you may not notice that the food is going bad.

2) Rust: Leaving the ring on can lead to rusting of the ring. Have you ever left a ring on and then later had trouble twisting it off because of rust? I have. Then as you wiggle and fight with the ring, you can break the seal on the jar…or was the seal already broken? Hmmm…Reason number one comes back to bite us again. We don’t know if we “just” broke the seal or it has been open for a week or more.

3) Mold: Yes, mold can grow under the ring and that can lead to the vacuum seal being lost. This happens because food sometimes siphons out of the jar during processing and gets trapped under the ring. As it sits, it begins to mold and that mold grows and can push on the edge of lid and break the seal. In fact, after your jars are completely cooled, you should remove the rings AND wipe down the jars to remove any stick residue. Then label the jars and sit them on the shelf.

Very  nice wiri wiri my grandma used to go crazy when jars were left with rings still on. And she never reused the lids. She also had us remove the rings and clean the jars . I've always followed her methods and have never had a problem. Nice to see you point that out. Great find.

Back