• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making Hot Sauce 101

anywhere that sells pH testing for fish tanks, hydroponics, etc should have them.  Make sure to get ones in the 3-5 pH range as that is the desired pH target range.  As has been discussed before, test strips are better than nothing.  The color of the sauce can stain the test strip and make it hard to get a reliable reading.  If possible, get a pH meter and buffer/calibration solutions.  There are some pretty good units for less than $100 all in~

SL

Pjar said:
Does anyone have a suggestion for ph test strips. I did a search and did not feel successful
Amazon would be a good place to start and I agree with SalsaLady PH test strips are better suited for clear liquids

I bought this unit for the equivalent of $10.50 US. I use it all the time to check my pH.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ph-meter-digital-tester-ph-i7457986-s9317388.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.4e1e4443iKu06q&search=1

IMG33261.jpg

Just to make sure I understand the most basic outline...
So if I'm making a sauce, as long as it is <4.0 pH, the equipment has been cleaned/sterilized properly, and it is bottled properly (likely with HFH in my case), it should be safe for shelf storage?

EMN1-SS said:
Just to make sure I understand the most basic outline...
So if I'm making a sauce, as long as it is <4.0 pH, the equipment has been cleaned/sterilized properly, and it is bottled properly (likely with HFH in my case), it should be safe for shelf storage?

Its only hot sauce.

Just make it.

Better to ask again and be sure.

It is as simple as EM~ stated. But some people need to read all the ins and outs. And people 'understand' things from different angles.

For some, the whole original post is TMI, all they need is the ultra cliff notes of EMN1. Others need to know what percentage of vinegar to produce by weight will yield a finished equilibrium pH of 3.7492.

It's all good. We are here to help as best we can.
SL

The information overload here is great. I truly could read posts on here for hours a day and not get bored with it.
Main reason for the question was because I was getting ready to finish and bottle my first ferment, and had read myself in enough circles that I thought I was missing a step.
Anytime I am making something that someone else is going to consume, I'm going to make darn sure I dont make them sick. Thanks for all the knowledge in here, SL!

Looks good!  I'll have to see if I can find these beans here.  

I'm always confused by "chili powder" in recipes as where I live it's gonna be spicy unless I go to a grocery with western products.  I bought some "paprika" recently that said so on the label but was kinda spicy and not what I'd have gotten in the US.
RE: tomato paste My trick, since we mostly have only canned versions here, is to put what's left over in a small ziplock and stick it in the freezer.  I never need a whole can so this happens a lot.

Due to the odd nature of Thai tastes here, every delivery pizza will come with tons of catsup packets.  I don't know why anyone would put that on a pizza but many must do it as it's always included in a couple nice small ziplock bags which is the perfect size for the leftover tomato paste.  The catsup is saved and used to make BBQ sauce. :)

salsalady said:

Sorry I'm a year late replying to that....but here's the recipe! 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/16744-easy-black-bean-and-corn-salsa/?hl=%2Bblack+%2Bbean+%2Bsalsa

Just thinking about this a couple weeks ago, time to make another batch!

salsalady said:
Making and Bottling Hot Sauce 101 for Beginners

Do you know why starsan is good enough in brewing? but for hot sauce we have to do the whole sterilization hot fill stuff?

i understand sanitation doesn't kill 100% of nasties but why is that ok with beer that sits in similar bottles and not ok for hot sauce?
because beer is consumed immediately after opening usually? or something else?

No idea; it's supposed to be effective against E. coli and S. aureus but maybe not "wide spectrum" enough for food. Beer also contains alcohol, which is known to be quite hard on nasties too.

Back