• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

making salsa at the school

Yesterday was salsa day in Salsakid's class! We did this last year also and the kids had such a great time, they wanted to do it again.

I supplied the ingredients, equipment and recipes, and they did the work. They made a pico de gallo salsa and a black bean, corn and cilantro salsa. Both salsas had fresh jalapenos in them for a little bite and I also saved 3 Red Savina habaneros from the fresh pods from Alabama Jack and put the 3 habs into about 2 cups of the pico de gallo in a separate bowl.

I arrived at the school about 30 minutes before the time we had agreed upon and they were already getting ready for the project so I did not have time to get any shots of the equipment or ingredients. They just jumped right in.

Each student was given copies of the recipes to take home. One boy very proudly proclaimed that he didn't need a copy because he still had his recipe from last year taped to the refrigerator!

After the project last year, the students sent me a thank you note and several of them said that they used to not like salsa or eat anything hot/spicy, but now they like salsa. And that, my friends, is what it's all about.

c4798c63.jpg

3dce5277.jpg

fbd34073.jpg

f5da6b31.jpg

4d63a3eb.jpg

ff780972.jpg

The small bowl with red savinas-
701f6d3b.jpg

32ff740f.jpg

All the kids tried both salsas, most even tried a little taste of the Red Savina pico, and a lot of them tried some of the Ghost Fire hot sauce also. It was fun to see them get lit up on the Red Savinas, running for the juice and water, getting snowballs from outside and sucking on them. :lol: They all handled it really well and with good humor. Their last comments were, "can we do it again next year?" Absolutely!

What a great activity...!
brings back personal memories of time spent in the kitchen with my Grandma.
A tip of the hat to you Salsalady

Thats awesome. It'll likely influence the rest of their lives in some way. Now you have to implement stage 2 and get them growing their own veggies :)

good for you salsalady very cool of you to hold class on the right way to make a homemade salsa. Imagine how healthy our kids could be and all the future chileheads you started. :dance:

Now you have to implement stage 2 and get them growing their own veggies :)

Already got that covered, Potawie! Not by me, but others.

They have a school project called Classroom In Bloom and have about a 1/2 acre garden that the 1st-5th graders take care of. There are a couple community members that coordinate the project and lead the kids. It's one of the most popular classtimes. The kids harvest the produce and the school kitchen uses it in their lunches. It's AWESOME!

http://www.methowvalleynews.com/story.php?id=3417

Congratulations for the project, a really good initiative and given the Enthusiasm of the guys I do not think it's easy to forget you have a good memory.
I think that these simple things to help grow and form positive children. Greetings and congratulations again.

Way to go SL, nothing like gettin kids involved in something new and creative. Plus they may be future THP members :dance: :dance: :dance:

This has been a SUPER-fun project, especially in the light that it might be the inspiration of a future chilehead. :woohoo: That would be GREAT!

I knew I'd posted the recipe, just had to get time to find it. :)

Here's the black bean and corn salsa recipe-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/16744-easy-black-bean-and-corn-salsa/page__p__357305__hl__%2Bblack+%2Bbean__fromsearch__1#entry357305

Back