• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Making your own nutrients

I just wonder if there is anyone that makes his own nutrients for hydroponic growing.

In the past I always made my own "juice" for my plants, those days I didn't grow peppers. I am planning to make my own "juice" again, because I think it's way to costly to buy the ready made nutrients.

Michael

Hey, if you are going and making fertilizer then you know way more then me!!!

The best fertilizer out is Dyna gro. Look it up, it has 16 macro/micro. It is really what the pros use.

I would use it if I could get it easy. Otherwise I hear of people that make their own fertilizer.

Look up Lucas formula, I've read that its the cheapest nutes you can get. All you use is GH Bloom dry nutes. Thats what I'm going to start using next week.

@Guillo1....The Lucas formule is using A & B components and in the blooming fase PK 13/14. These components exist of 97% water, for this water we will be paying way to much. They have to make the A & B solution to bring the nutrients together. If the would do that in one bottle then the nutrients would form gypsum or calcium sulfate, and will be useless for the plants. The A & B solution is easy to make yourself.

@Capsicum....I will be growing on hydro, so the dry fertilizer is a no go, it needs to be soluble in water. Dyna grow liquid becomes very expensive for me.

I find the cheaper of a gardener you are the better you really are. If you find Dyna Gro expensive then I have a lot to learn. What do you think about those 16+ macro/micro nutrients? Are they needed? You could really could make a better fertilizer with 100% Nitrate nitrogen, is that what you would do? I really am interested, thanks.

<p>The 16 macro/micro nutrients are the minerals that plants need. You will have these 16 available for your plants by using the following. The A &amp; B behind the chemicals are for mixing the a &amp; b component. The quantities needed depends on the kind volume and crop</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<ul>
<li>Copper Sulfate (B)</li>
<li>Magnesium Sulfate (B)</li>
<li>Manganese Sulfate (B)</li>
<li>Potassium Nitrate (A)</li>
<li>Sodium Molybdate (B)</li>
<li>Zinc Sulfate (B)</li>
<li>Boric Acid (B)</li>
<li>Calcium Nitrate (A)</li>
<li>Ammonium Monobasic Phosphate (B)</li>
<li>Iron EDTA (A)</li>
</ul>

@Guillo1....The Lucas formule is using A & B components and in the blooming fase PK 13/14. These components exist of 97% water, for this water we will be paying way to much. They have to make the A & B solution to bring the nutrients together. If the would do that in one bottle then the nutrients would form gypsum or calcium sulfate, and will be useless for the plants. The A & B solution is easy to make yourself.
you didn't do enough research on Lucas Formula....... "
MaxiBloom and MaxiGro are dry nutrient also from General Hydroponics. It turns out, Maxibloom, used in a ratio of 7 grams per gallon of water*, is very close to the original Lucas Formula (above.) You do not need MaxiGro, and so this is the cheapest and easiest recipe to use.
Add 7 grams of Maxibloom into 1 gallon of water*, and then adjust the pH, and stir vigorously to dissolve the Maxibloom in the water. I advise putting the 7g of Maxibloom into a cup of warm water, dissolving it, and then adding it to the remaining gallon of water, before pH adjusting and mixing again."

That is only 10, DYNA GRO has 16. Wheres your sulfur? You want to look up how dyna gro beats advanced nutrients in yeild, there is no better fertilizer out. LOOK IT UP.

Again big fan of dry fertilizer, where is the micro in maxi!!!!!!!

Dyna Gro is the leader of fertilizers. After finding Dyna gro it will take more then showing me 10 macro/micro to change my mind that nothing beats dyna gro.

That is only 10, DYNA GRO has 16. Wheres your sulfur? You want to look up how dyna gro beats advanced nutrients in yeild, there is no better fertilizer out. LOOK IT UP.

Again big fan of dry fertilizer, where is the micro in maxi!!!!!!!

Dyna Gro is the leader of fertilizers. After finding Dyna gro it will take more then showing me 10 macro/micro to change my mind that nothing beats dyna gro.

I'm not going to count all the essential elements that are included, but I do know plants can live on this alone AND that there is sulfur. I use peter's pro now, but Maxibloom is very nice. Here's a section from the MSDS for Maxibloom:

Ingredients: MaxiBloomTM
Nutrient For Reproductive Growth is an especially formulated mixture
of chemicals that are mixed in proportions to assure excellent plant nutrition. The chemical identity
of the compounds and exact proportions used in the mixture are a trade secret. The product is
derived from ammonium nitrate, ammonium molybdate, calcium nitrate, cobalt sulfate, copper
sulfate, iron DTPA, magnesium sulfate, potassium borate, potassium nitrate, potassium
phosphate, potassium sulfate, and zinc sulfate.

Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . 7.00%
2.6% Ammoniacal (NH4)
4.4% Nitrate (NO3)
Phosphorus (P2O5) . . . . . . . . . . 9.00%
Potassium (K2O) . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.00%
Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.00%
Magnesium (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . 0.5000%
Sulfur (S) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0500%
Boron (B) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0200%
Chlorine (Cl) . . . . . . . . . 0.1000%
Cobalt (Co) . . . . . . . . . . 0.0015%
Copper (Cu) . . . . . . . . . 0.0500%
Iron (Fe) . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.1000%
Manganese (Mn) . . . . . 0.0500%
Molybdenum (Mo) . . . . 0.0009%
Nickel (Ni) . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0001%
Sodium (Na) . . . . . . . . . 0.1000%
Zinc (Zn) . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0500%

I do not know what happend??? I did not want to post again but just edit the first one????

Anyway, this is what is in Dyna gro. Nothing comes close!!!!!!

Looking good the ingredients in dyna gro. Can I ask what type of water you use? Is it water from a well or water from the water company? If the water is from the water company, what do they use to keep the water clean - chlorine or calcium?

To keep water clean Hydrogen peroxide or Hygrozyme
I would let tap water sit and dechlorinate for a while then test ppm to know how much fertilizer to use. I use the peroxide first then put in fertilizer. I found hygrozyme very effective but not needed in a in-organic fertilizer program. I stay with soilless drain to waste. The most I will get into is growing in coco chips.

Sorry I missed that: Yes they use chlorine but there is Ca a lot of times in it , the tap water has a high ph too. Otherwise if you used distilled water or even spring water you would know you have nice ph and about 0 ppm. Then you know what you can add.

i make my own nutrients... its about as easy as can be. you just need the raw salts calcium nitrate, potassium nitrate etc etc... and a micronutrient mix. i use a product called Plantex CSM+boron for micronutrients, you CAN make your own micronutrients, but most find thats you have to make such a large amount using conventional weighing equipment, that it becomes cost innefective.

http://www.aquariumf...EditU=2&Regit=5

i dont know why more people dont do this. just make sure you are buying decent quality chemicals.. yara makes a product called Calcinit its the best calcium nitrate ive found so far, its small prills make it super easy to dissolve.

The water that I am using is water from a bore hole. It contains a lot of iron. I need to pass it thru a sand filter otherwise the the EC will be 1.4. The PH is also too high, I correct it with nitric acid in the growing stage and with fosfor acid in the flowering/fruit stage.

The yara products are very good indeed. For me my complete nutrients solution (10ltr A & 10ltr B) costs me about 2,40&euro;

I think that is really cool that you guys make fertilizer!!! I want to do it too now!!! I have seen some cheap sources myself, I can not believe it.

To keep water clean Hydrogen peroxide or Hygrozyme
I would let tap water sit and dechlorinate for a while then test ppm to know how much fertilizer to use. I use the peroxide first then put in fertilizer. I found hygrozyme very effective but not needed in a in-organic fertilizer program. I stay with soilless drain to waste. The most I will get into is growing in coco chips.

Sorry I missed that: Yes they use chlorine but there is Ca a lot of times in it , the tap water has a high ph too. Otherwise if you used distilled water or even spring water you would know you have nice ph and about 0 ppm. Then you know what you can add.

its actually hypochlorous acid that is a product of calcium hypo/ sodium hypo(bleach) the Cl ion is actually cosidered an essential mineral. cl comes from nacl CaCl2. its unnecessary to let water de chlorinate before feeding your plants. i actually take care of a pool that is periodically shocked to 5-10ppm free chlorine, and i can tell you that i have never once see any of the grass around the pool damaged by even these high levels of chlorine which are many times higher than what you would find in a muni water system. also, many large muni's are using chloramine disinfectants as alternatives to sodium hypochlorite... chloramine is problematic to remove from water.

i run a fertilized drip to waste system with blumats outdoors, and i add chlorine to my system every other day, just a small pinch is all it takes to keep algae at bay. its an extremely effective way to kill microbial crap and algae that might otherwise clog my delicate drippers for a fraction of the cost of h202. i honestly dont think h202 is worth using anymore, its simply has 0 residual kill value. its almost completely gone from solution in a few hours. its also easy to overdose... h202 is a strong oxidizer much stronger than hypochlorous acid.
for ph down, i use cheep 'pool acid' which is just hydrochloric acid, another super cheep alternative to expensive hydro store products.

Wow!!!!

I was hoping to hear some advice like this.
Wow so it goes to show how strong plants are, so many say let it declorinate, but from what you have just said I believe you.

I will read your post again.

Yes chlorine is really economical and I never thought to use it as a cleaner. Thanks again for this info.

yea i dont want to sound like a dick, but i think alot of poeple are just suspecious and maby a little ignorant when it comes to chlorination of tap water, then this stuff gets handed around untill it becomes lore so to speak... no offense intended to people that dont like chlorine ... do what ever you want, im just saying its unnecessary.

ive been thinking of posting a thread on makeing nutrients... ive just not had the time.

if you dont want to make your own, i think others have mentioned it, but maxibloom/grow are awsome. i bought a bag once... the stuff is great, i accidentally left it out in the rain tho = (.

Back