• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Making your own vinegar

Who here makes their own vinegar?

I make pineapple vinegar and banana vinegar, which are commonly used in Mexico and often made at home. It's great for marinades, pickling jalapeños, salad dressings, salsas, hot sauces, etc. and it's really easy to make. And it's made mostly with the peel which people would usually otherwise just throw away.

Here are the directions for pineapple vinegar...

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped peel from one pineapple (preferably organic so that you're not eating pesticides later)
½ cup chopped pineapple fruit
2½ cup water (preferably distilled so there's nothing in there that will kill the bacteria)
¼ cup piloncillo (you can use brown sugar but the flavor is a little different, piloncilo has more of a molasses flavor, you could also just use white sugar)
2 tbsp unpasteurized vinegar
1 quart sized jar

Chop the fruit and peel and place it in the jar. Heat the water in a pot until it boils, then add the piloncilo and stir until it dissolves. Then pour the boiling sugar water over the fruit. I like to use mason jars and screw the lid on and turn the jar upside down to sterilize everything, but that's not really necessary. Let the mixture cool down to around room temperature, then add the unpasteurized vinegar (unpasteurized vinegar has live acetic acid bacteria cultures to get your vinegar started), place a cheese cloth or paper towel or something over the mouth of the jar and then secure it with a rubber band. Place the jar in a warm, dark area, after a few days a film will form on the top which is the "mother," it looks menacing but it's just cellulose and the acetic acid bacteria and is a good sign. After about 2 weeks strain the liquid with a cheese cloth to remove the fruit and peel, and the mother of vinegar (you can save some of the mother of vinegar in a jar with some vinegar for starting a later batch if you want). Then let the strained liquid continue to ferment for several more weeks and it's ready, but It gets better with a little aging.

For a starter I used Bragg's unpasteurized apple cider vinegar.
BRA-00116-0.jpg
You can find it in the health isles of most grocery stores, or in health stores. You could skip the starter and collect the acetic acid bacteria out of the air, but I don't like to roll the dice on what's colonizing the jar.

You can also use other fruit like pears, or old or unwanted wine. You could add other ingredients as well, like a couple Trinidad scorpions. :D Here are some pictures

2012-03-11_19-30-55_425.jpg

2012-03-11_19-30-48_598.jpg

The white film on top is the mother.

2012-03-11_19-30-41_355.jpg

wow. I'm still wrapping my head around this concept.

Is the final product clear?
Are there any drawbacks or potential dangers?

I mean, vinegar is crazy cheap, but if the homebrew version is made out of scraps, and it tastes better, I'm all for it!

I don't really think there are any dangers, especially if you use a starter, it's a very common practice in Mexico. Diana Kennedy has been making her own pineapple vinegar for decades and keeps a large stock of various ages of vinegar on hand. I don't think it's any more dangerous than brewing wine or beer. After the acetic acid bacteria do their job it's going to have a high acidity keeping any pathogens from growing in it (probably more than 5% acetic acid, commercial vinegars are diluted to 5 or 6% usually). The final product is somewhat clear.

Sure vinegar is cheap, at least white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, but how many grocery stores sell pineapple, banana, pear, etc. vinegar? Other types like red wine vinegar, infused vinegars, or "gourmet" vinegars are not as cheap, usually $2-3 a pint or more for nicer vinegars. You can make really god wine vinegars out of wine that has started to go bad (it turns to vinegar naturally when exposed to air), or wine you're not going to drink, or wine you just don't like that much. You can make a gallon of pineapple vinegar for about $5. Or if you just use the peels and eat the pineapple it's practically free.

I like the sharpness of 7% dilution, as long as it is quality, otherwise it's harsh. You can achieve both smoothness and sharpness.

I've never made it, but I do like tasting various vinegars from around the world.

Glacial acetic acid. That's how they make it at the factory. Most vinegar is ~5%. Glacial is almost 100%. That way you can make vinegar in any strength you want. Some food supply houses, chem supply and biodiesel outlets have it. Definitely use caution when handling - goggles are a must. Here's some on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Glacial-Acetic-Safety-bottle/dp/B003EE8OY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336107488&sr=8-1

Also - for flavored vinegars, it might be best (speculating here) to use a higher concentration (~25%?) of acetic acid to pull the flavors out of whatever you're using, then diluting to whatever strength you want. Don't know if that will work since I've never tried it but it might be worth an experiment.

Back