• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Manzano Glog

I got to thinking there are a lot of people growing this pepper and I think for the first time for a lot of us.  Thought it might be neat to see everyone's Manzano as they progress through the year.

I have three plants, all yellow.  My first plant was sowed in Octobish of last year and I have two that are from around Christmas time.

So who all is trying to grow these long distance runners of the pepper world?

Here are my three babies.  The two smaller ones are the same age, but the smaller one had a massive helmet head and I didn't think it would survive.

1506066_10201644492144173_233549265_n.jpg

Nice pics John! Those are amazing I see those similar root pouches. How many gallons are yours? I'm using 5 and so far a couple of plants (not Pubescens...) are taking on 100F + like nothing. One is even opening flowers. I guess the larger the root system the better they can handle the elements. Next year I'm using 3gal pots or bigger and do way less plants.

(sorry for the off topic Lol...)

-Walt

The 4 in-ground plants. 

HGYaxU1l.jpg

In clay,  is more accurate.
They are starting to grow faster after about a month and are blooming, but not densely.

3IV3yrQl.jpg

They get good sun until about 1:30pm and then open shade.
Days have been 80-90 ° with nights in the 60s 

My best plant set fruit right around transplant time, but then ceased flower production for about a month.
The few early fruits  may just be starting to flush. 

J1yC9col.jpg

How long should they hang before picking to assure seed viability?
I've got about 105 days until frost. About how many days from flower to ripeness is typical?

JJJessee said:

How long should they hang before picking to assure seed viability?
I've got about 105 days until frost. About how many days from flower to ripeness is typical?
Those guys are healthy!

Good questions. Plan for atleast 40 days after fruit is full size. Let them ripen like anything else. This is one reason I don't believe in full shade,the sun helps ripening.

I think seed viability depends on quality and quantity of pollen also. Seems that old seeds may have to do with low germination also. I honestly have never had any issue sprouting them though.
Vegas_Chili said:
Nice pics John! Those are amazing I see those similar root pouches. How many gallons are yours? I'm using 5 and so far a couple of plants (not Pubescens...) are taking on 100F + like nothing. One is even opening flowers. I guess the larger the root system the better they can handle the elements. Next year I'm using 3gal pots or bigger and do way less plants. (sorry for the off topic Lol...)-Walt
The 10 gallon fabric sacks are OK. I will be potting up some of these plants into them next week. I have used a heat gun and the temps on the fabric pouches are 10° less. That is substantial. My best plants are always in my 15 gallon nursery pots though.

The way my containers are set up,the sun runs directly over them east to west and doesn't hit the sides. My temps are way lower than yours. Have you ever considered shade cloth and a timed watering system to keep the roots cool?

Here's how one of my pubes look. Bigger leaves and it's forking I'll let it grow some more before taking it out of the Aerogarden.

-Walt

The plants are loading up with blossoms but no pods I can find yet.

Wow!  Great pods-n-pics, everyone!  May I post my my humble addition - 
This plant started last August, OW'd, cut back to stalk in early Spring,
and has been flowering like crazy and finally has a decent sized pod:
DSCN0427a_zps055dfe7d.jpg

There are several more like this one:
DSCN0429a_zps46e7df00.jpg

My 3rd gen. plant is flowering right along, and may be about to start setting pods if it doesn't get too hot.  Will try to get a few pics
of the plants to post up here.

Nice pods everyone. A lot of interest in these plants this season. Hopefully we all can find a solid routine in our respective locations/climate and there won't be so many negatives about this species.

This season is shaping up to be epic for pubes. My other plants are just starting to beef up and have been hindered a bit by the bad weather. I have the strongest back and hamstrings in W. Pennsylvania from lugging 15 gallon pots filled with soggy soil. Biblical rain this year!!!! I haven't been able to take pics for literally weeks because of constant wind and rain.

These guys are all in 2 1/2 gallon containers. I think I may be onto something about production, just hope it doesn't bite me in the ass in a month which it probably will.

Yellow manzano
14592351665_426f45b85d_c.jpg

Costa rican red
14589055601_268850f4bb_c.jpg

Costa rican yellow
14422502298_517b1f9c42_c.jpg

San Isidro rocoto with probably 50 pods and an equal amount of young pea sized pods. It is impossible to get good contrasting pictures because the small fruit match the color of the leaves. Ridiculous plant,way more productive than my inground plant last season.
14609067485_582f687439_c.jpg

I will try to get up pics of my inground and large container plants if the weather cooperates today.

This may not be the right place, but does anybody know a good vendor to purchase manzano seeds from?  I am currently growing orange, but would be interested in getting the other types to grow out next year as well.

I have someGiant Mex Rocotos and some Manzanos from Smokemaster and they are all getting the same treatment, but they sure grow to there own tune.  Some have had pods for over a month, and some have just now gotten their first flower.  Good news is that they all look healthy.

Here is a picture of some pods on the rocoto
[/URL]">http://
[/URL]">http://

I will work on gettng a good picture of the plants soon.

My goodness there are some nice podding going on in here.....that beast is amazing!!!!  I currently have two green pods and I have eaten one earlier in the season.  Plants are nowhere near like the fine specimens I am seeing here.

Glad people are having success....I deem my season a success as the first time I tried growing these I got no pods.

FreeportBum said:
Beast from the east getting bigger, 20 gal pot getting smaller  :party: Can of Heady Topper for size reference.  My manzanos that I put in the ground are yet to set a pod, glad I kept the beast in a pot.  thanks pson
IMG_1982_zps9bfef603.jpg
THAT is a beauty, Freeport!
And inspiring. My two plants in 30 gal containers on my deck are just not taking off like my in ground plants.
I may think about moving one (or both) to a smaller pot with a good dolly,  and let it re-establish before bringing it in for the winter.

When did you start that plant? 

JJJessee said:
THAT is a beauty, Freeport!
And inspiring. My two plants in 30 gal containers on my deck are just not taking off like my in ground plants.
I may think about moving one (or both) to a smaller pot with a good dolly,  and let it re-establish before bringing it in for the winter.

When did you start that plant? 
Thank you sir. Seed started 9/3/13. She doesn't seem to like full sun so I keep her on the dolly to move her around early morning and in the evening. 

Back