Márcio 2009/2010 Season

I found them difficult to put over the flowers to create a barrier. Also, they raise the temp and humidity inside and can make flower drop issues worse. They worked ok for tomatoes, but I did not have a single bagged flower pollinate on the pepper plants I tried it on. I tried it on a naga morich and the only flowers that did not pollinate were the bagged ones. This year I will try something different to help ensure a pure strain as I have a large insect population in my garden and crosses will almost be a certainty. I will try to bag the entire plant early in the season before the temps get too high. If that doesn't work, I will take turns moving the plants in and out of the garage and mark the flowers that were pollinate while in there. Might try the glue trick as well.

jacob

Hi Jacob
I've done this with some peppers. But the problem is the number of plants blooming at the same time. When I have a few, I can put each one in a different place, but sometimes I have many plants with flowers. I tried the glue trick too, it's very hard and I lost many flowers, maybe the problem here is the heat...

orangehero
Some people told me that method of tulle bags is not very effective and could allow cross-pollination. But is the method I'm using right now.

What is the reasoning? Why is it not effective?

I have read that the tulle could possibly not prevent cross-pollination caused by wind (other pollen getting blown into the bag and onto the flowers inside)...while hypothetically possible, I imagine it is highly unlikely. The most important thing is to keep the pollinating insects out. Even without bagging, it seems self-pollination is more likely than not.

I figure if you have a bag large enough to cover a branch, maybe trim some stems and leaves for it to fit and allow airflow, there should be much less problems.

If the bag properly covers the flower, then it will be ok. It is only a insect barrier. The problem I found is the ones that are premade in the store don't work well because pepper flowers come out of the nodes making it difficult to cover the flowers and not interfere with the growth of the leaves around it. Maybe if you make your own it would be easier. Of course, I tried in the heat of summer with temps in the upper 90's F. Add heat to that and there goes the flower.

I think if you are trying to save seed from several plants, the easiest way will be to buy the tulle material and make bags for the plant. Pollen only stays viable for a couple of days, so you could make a couple of bags and move them from plant to plant and mark the pods that were pollinated while covered. Maybe add some shade to keep the heat down and see if that helps.

Good luck and happy New Year!
jacob

I made my own tulle bags this past season. I also experienced high levels of flower drop within the bags.

tullebag.jpg

I was having trouble with my container plants so this one doesn't look so hot but you can see the bag...

that's a crazy long list of plants. how do you ever keep up with all of that? And what do you do with all of the peppers?
Nice job.

Nate,
Here where I live the temperature is between 25 ° and 30 ° C almost all year round even in winter.

Ballzworth,
I grow them in small pots so the production is not very large. But I always have enough peppers to eat and sharing with friends.

I always love looking at pods in their in between stages, it is always cool. What is and how is the taste of the Goronong? I've never heard of that one.

Pepperfreak,
Goronong is almost like the Scotch Bonnet but more beautiful at least to me. Do you want some seeds?

Vladan,
Thanks. I sent your seeds yesterday. I hope they go faster this time.

marcio_sjrp said:
Pepperfreak,
Goronong is almost like the Scotch Bonnet but more beautiful at least to me. .

marcio,

do I see some virus attack on your Goronong plants? The leaves sure show strss marks and uneven surface typical of some viral problem.
The pods are also unlike Goronong tear drop type shape but this may be usual trait. The color is simply beautiful. I love it.

I have seen them in Singapore .

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict,
I bought the seeds like Goronong but I really don't know if this is the true one. Do you think this is virus attack? What I need to do? Can you help me?

Nate,
Thanks.

marcio_sjrp said:
Naga Jolokia Addict,
I bought the seeds like Goronong but I really don't know if this is the true one. Do you think this is virus attack? What I need to do? Can you help me?

Nate,
Thanks.

marcio,

Please read the following link.

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_disease.php

I am not a chilli farmer so I do not know much about treatment. Some esteemed members are growers and they can help.

NJA

I am growing peppers in my garden area (only Indian varieties) for just 3 years in US and I have never had any disease problem or insect problem so far.
See my Sannam plants of last season. They are very healthy.

4090745190_9182482c2e_o.jpg

Back