• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Marturos 2024 Glog.

It's that time of the year, cold & gloomy outside, & inside the magic is happening. Those little green pepper plants are pushing up
towards the artificial sun. Who came up first? The early Jalapeño, Serrano, & the Sugar Rush Stripy. A little game we play LOL.

This is the best set up we have ever had before. 4 LED grow lights 2 heating mats, room stays at 66 F at night & 74 F during the day.
With 22 varieties & 50 plants we hope to have a real special grow for the 24 season, with a lot of great tasting peppers. 😀

When I joined THP I had just moved from Fluorescents lights to the new LED lights. Outside everything is about the same, it's the indoor
adventure that has changed for the better. Compact high output grow lights, heating mats instead of heating cables without thermostats
it's a lot of fun once again.

This is my first Glog. Welcome to the ride. :welcome:

1708553902455.png

1708554125760.png

1708554259577.png

1708554340777.png

Grow list:

1. Antep Aci Dolma
2. Aji Panca
3. Aji Strawberry drop
4. Sugar Rush Stripy
5. Aji Pineapple
6. Aji Chombo Amarillo
7. Aji Fantasy
8. Pasilla Oaxaca
9. Pasillo Apaseo
10. Pasilla Mixe
11. Chilhuacle Negro
12. Aji Chombo Rojo
13. Aji Rainforest
14. Brazilian Starfish
15. Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
16. Aji Charapita
17. Jigsaw ( ornamental )
18. Poblano Rojo
19. Early Jalapeño
20. Serrano
21. Lesya
22. Datil

Looks like a fantastic grow list!

Where did you pick up the Chombos? I snagged a pack from BC after a trip to Panama, but would love to have another good source.
Thank you @hadanero 😀
We got the Aji Chombo Rojo from Baker creek & the Aji Chombo Amarillo from @Downriver I can't wait to try them both.

Both are up, & looking great.
Going to the Oyster bar with my Dad in Panama growing up, I remember the Oysters & the hot peppers. So hot I had to sneak around
& order a cold cerveza for my Dad, wink wink LOL. No age limit in the 1960s in Panama it was great.

Just potted them up yesterday, no stopping them now. 😉

Soil mix : Coco Coir with Mr. Wiggly worm castings, Blood meal, Bone meal, Espoma Bio Tone, Trace Minerals.
They have been watered & misted with Bacillus Subtills & bacillus amylolyquifaciens Bio fungicides from the start,
& will continue using them into the gardens. Feed up until now with 1/2 strength Miracle gro liquid, will move
on now to Fish fertilizer & Seaweed extract.

1710077138038.png

1710077240390.png

What would be the reason to add Bacillus Subtills & bacillus amylolyquifaciens to your mix (sorry if it sounds stupid but I never heard of these before!)?

Last edited:
What would be the reason to add Bacillus Subtills & bacillus amylolyquifaciens to your mix (sorry if it sounds stupid but I never heard of these before!)?
I'm glad you asked.
It all started 3 seasons ago when I learned of a Bio fungicide & how it was made from a Bacillus bacteria.
Growing Organic since 72 I have always felt the loss of not having an Organic Fungicide.
Over the last few years a trickle of info started to leak out about just how fantastic these bio fungicides, Antiviral, Bacteriacide properties really were.

I have seen first hand what spraying our outside plants with these 2 Bio fungicides can do & it is truly amazing. However it is how it protects
seedlings from fungi & bad bacteria in our soil mixes that's cool. The last 2 seasons I used the Bio Fungicides on all of our new seedlings for
misting & watering. No Fungal problems, No Damp Off, the info so far says it colonises the roots & leaves to protect the seedlings
from infections. This season was the first time I saw it being sold as a seedling protectant.

The more info that comes out like even the Commercial chemical farmers are switching to bio Fungicides because they work so much better makes me think this is a winner.
There is a lot yet to learn about these new living Bio fungicides & I will be there to learn all I can. Bio Fungicides are what Organic Farmers have been waiting for 4 a very very long time.

I'm glad you asked.
It all started 3 seasons ago when I learned of a Bio fungicide & how it was made from a Bacillus bacteria.
Growing Organic since 72 I have always felt the loss of not having an Organic Fungicide.
Over the last few years a trickle of info started to leak out about just how fantastic these bio fungicides, Antiviral, Bacteriacide properties really were.

I have seen first hand what spraying our outside plants with these 2 Bio fungicides can do & it is truly amazing. However it is how it protects
seedlings from fungi & bad bacteria in our soil mixes that's cool. The last 2 seasons I used the Bio Fungicides on all of our new seedlings for
misting & watering. No Fungal problems, No Damp Off, the info so far says it colonises the roots & leaves to protect the seedlings
from infections. This season was the first time I saw it being sold as a seedling protectant.

The more info that comes out like even the Commercial chemical farmers are switching to bio Fungicides because they work so much better makes me think this is a winner.
There is a lot yet to learn about these new living Bio fungicides & I will be there to learn all I can. Bio Fungicides are what Organic Farmers have been waiting for 4 a very very long time.
Thanks! Do you happen to know if they are also effective against blight (tomatoes) and downy mildew (squash)?

Thanks! Do you happen to know if they are also effective against blight (tomatoes) and downy mildew (squash)?

Sorry had a problem yesterday with a Hacker using Supremo.exe a dangerous software program that can allow them to control your PC. Beware.
Yes it has a positive against both early & late blights. If it's a cool damp spring spray every 4 days. On squash & cukes it's majick Grapes Apples, pears it controls blights that would scar our trees every year. It's worth it's weight in gold for all those fungal & Bacterial problems that need more than a quick fix.

@Marturo Yeah, I hear ya about those freezing temps in a few days. I think our peach trees will be blooming by then. Bummer. 🤞

Real estate is filling up fast as we pot up more seedlings. It's going down to the lower 30s F tonight & everyone is warm & moist.

As I look over the lighted area I think to myself. Why not 2 more LEDs for next season they are only $100.00 per unit. 😉

Everyday I see the plants they are growing so fast & looking very strong.

1711322262695.png

Each variety has it's own nature like leaf shape & color.

1711322435066.png

This little Jig Saw pepper from BC has green, purple, & white already.
1711322676902.png

This is an Aji Strawberry.
1711322809777.png

In the middle with cover are some new seeds for the Aji Fantasy just planted today. OK call me crazy but I wanted some Aji Fantasy this season.
1711322909455.png

It's that time in the Smokies when your apples, peaches & pears are blooming & you watch the weather with clenched fist & white knuckles LOL. Back in 1993 in March 13 we had a real blizzard 😮 yep not a regular thing, you just can't predict weather here in the mountains.

1711323996877.png

Peach trees are still alive after the 20s & a 17 mph wind all night, saved by the wind. The best is yet to come :party:

Last edited:
It's that time of the year, cold & gloomy outside, & inside the magic is happening. Those little green pepper plants are pushing up
towards the artificial sun. Who came up first? The early Jalapeño, Serrano, & the Sugar Rush Stripy. A little game we play LOL.

This is the best set up we have ever had before. 4 LED grow lights 2 heating mats, room stays at 66 F at night & 74 F during the day.
With 22 varieties & 50 plants we hope to have a real special grow for the 24 season, with a lot of great tasting peppers. 😀

When I joined THP I had just moved from Fluorescents lights to the new LED lights. Outside everything is about the same, it's the indoor
adventure that has changed for the better. Compact high output grow lights, heating mats instead of heating cables without thermostats
it's a lot of fun once again.

This is my first Glog. Welcome to the ride. :welcome:

1708553902455.png

1708554125760.png

1708554259577.png

1708554340777.png

Grow list:

1. Antep Aci Dolma
2. Aji Panca
3. Aji Strawberry drop
4. Sugar Rush Stripy
5. Aji Pineapple
6. Aji Chombo Amarillo
7. Aji Fantasy
8. Pasilla Oaxaca
9. Pasillo Apaseo
10. Pasilla Mixe
11. Chilhuacle Negro
12. Aji Chombo Rojo
13. Aji Rainforest
14. Brazilian Starfish
15. Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
16. Aji Charapita
17. Jigsaw ( ornamental )
18. Poblano Rojo
19. Early Jalapeño
20. Serrano
21. Lesya
22. Datil
Looks professional! Good luck. May you have great success.

All trimmed to 1 & potted in some really good soil, they look so tiny. 😀

1712017687687.png

Pictures taken today, look at the spacing between pots. I am in awe of how thick the stems are & the green leaves, WOW!

1712015445371.png

1712015870093.png

Smaller plants under a separate light. The Scotch bonnets will be short plants even when it's time to plant out.

1712016193172.png

Tomato's, Tomatillo's & Egg Plant they have been in their new pots for a week & a half.
1712016403736.png

Aji Fantasy 3 in back row, better late than never hope they taste good LOL.
1712016607121.png

Japanese Pear full bloom.
1712016772832.png

We saw the weather for the middle of the week & 30 F is predicted for 3 mornings.
One thing for sure, no matter what the weather does I can be sure the girls are Wet, warm & bright inside.
1712017123563.png

All trimmed to 1 & potted in some really good soil, they look so tiny. 😀

1712017687687.png

Pictures taken today, look at the spacing between pots. I am in awe of how thick the stems are & the green leaves, WOW!

1712015445371.png

1712015870093.png

Smaller plants under a separate light. The Scotch bonnets will be short plants even when it's time to plant out.

1712016193172.png

Tomato's, Tomatillo's & Egg Plant they have been in their new pots for a week & a half.
1712016403736.png

Aji Fantasy 3 in back row, better late than never hope they taste good LOL.
1712016607121.png

Japanese Pear full bloom.
1712016772832.png

We saw the weather for the middle of the week & 30 F is predicted for 3 mornings.
One thing for sure, no matter what the weather does I can be sure the girls are Wet, warm & bright inside.
1712017123563.png
Looking really good! From here on they grow faster and faster!

Back