• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Mater seeds planted so far............

Well folks I started planting my mater seeds today. a few days late but here they are.

Cowlick's Brandywine

Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red

Indian Stripe

Michigan State

Earl's Faux

Vorlon

Al-Kuffa

Rouge D' Irak

Spudakee

San Marzano Redorta

Costoluto Genovese

Costoluto Fiorentino

Summer Cider ( Orange )

Abe Lincoln

Stump of the World

Thessaloniki

Carbon

these below came from Dan and Val McMurray.

Gary O'Sena

Vilina

Guildo Pietroboni

Palmarira's Northern Italian Heirloom

Goat Bag

Red Rock

Triumphant

Joie De La Table

Guido

Giant Italian Paste

Also planted Celebrity Hybrid to compare with Thessaloníki. Also have some Better Boy seeds someone gave me.Have not planted them yet.

Kevin

Kevin,

Good luck! I did the bunches of types thing a couple of years ago - it was good. Found a couple of types I love and some that are a POS. This year, I plan on one row of stuffers, a row of Better Boys, a row of Delicious and a row split among Roma, Riesentraube (2 - a huge cherry type producer) and Red Zebra. I got 751 pounds last year and this summer, I plan on well over 1200! Yeah, better production through (organic) chemistry.

Mike

Nice list Kevin. I hope you have a stellar season!

Hey Mike, I find myself going in the opposite direction. I added maybe 30 varieties this year and have a hard time deciding which ones I liked from last year will not make it in the garden this year, so I am up to maybe 60 varieties! I don't have much self control when it comes to planting.:lol:

Happy Growing!
jacob

wordwiz said:
Kevin,

Good luck! I did the bunches of types thing a couple of years ago - it was good. Found a couple of types I love and some that are a POS. This year, I plan on one row of stuffers, a row of Better Boys, a row of Delicious and a row split among Roma, Riesentraube (2 - a huge cherry type producer) and Red Zebra. I got 751 pounds last year and this summer, I plan on well over 1200! Yeah, better production through (organic) chemistry.

Mike

You got that right about organic growing Mike. I won't garden any other way. I might have extra plants to hand out to folks who would want them in my area. It will be nice to have such variety this year. Will most likely have 100 + plants in the garden this year.

jjs7741 said:
Nice list Kevin. I hope you have a stellar season!

Hey Mike, I find myself going in the opposite direction. I added maybe 30 varieties this year and have a hard time deciding which ones I liked from last year will not make it in the garden this year, so I am up to maybe 60 varieties! I don't have much self control when it comes to planting.:lol:

Happy Growing!
jacob

Thanks Jacob. That is not all ether. I most likely have 60+ varieties right now. It is a healthy addiction. You should see my pepper list. Being heart patient I am going to go ahead and make my own seasonings which have no or little salt. Going to try that with salsa and cut sodium down along with other stuff. You see there is a method to my madness:cool:

Kevin

Do you make your own salsa and if so what tomatoes do you find working out the best? I prefer a mixture of Romas and whatever else is available at the grocery store but since this is my first run at growing things I am interested to hear from others.

This will be my first year at doing that too. When I lived in Cali we used San Marzano. My Mom made a real nice relish from them. And now I have a great many maters to experiment with.It is my understanding that Cherokee Purple makes good salsa and sauces.I will be growing that one this year too.Also growing some of my own herbs too.

Kevin

I make a mutt salsa. Each batch I make has probably 10 different varieties or more in it. I also use them slightly underripe, still a little firm. Not green, they are fully colored up, but not completely soft. It tends to add to the texture more and I prefer my salsa a little more tart than sweet.

If you haven't tried a Cherokee Purple yet, you will love it. It is a wonderful tomato. Only problem is it doesn't last long off the vine, but they taste so good that won't be a problem. If you've never tried Indian Stripe, you should give that a try. If is a variation of the Cherokee Purple, but is more productive with slighly smaller tomatoes with the same great taste.

Have a great year!
jacob

Oh I have Indian Stripe planted too.Going to compare the two and see what comes of it. Anyhow here we grow again!

More planted in the last couple days. Amazon Chocolate, Grandfather Ashlock,Druzba,Giant Syrian,Red Brandywine (Landis Strain),Coustralee,Hazelfield Farm,Box Car Willie , Brandywine (Sudduth Strain),Cosmonaut Volkov, Russian Giant,Shumway's Sensation , Cherokee Purple,Berkly Tie Die,Eva Purple Ball,Mariana's Peace and Gigantesque.Gonna be interesting this season.

That sure is alot of Mater plants listed up there. You have a greenhouse? I know it's not warm enough in that state yet! I used to live there. I'm gonna try the Cherokee Purples and some Romas. I love Romas for just about anything from salsa to salads to sauces.

Kevin,

A new one I'm trying this year is a Red Stuffer. Supposedly similar to a bell pepper (the insides) it is suppose to have hollow chambers and easily-removed seeds. I figure I can sell these (if they are any good) to upscale restaurants for close to a buck apiece. They cut them in half, add 75¢ worth of tuna salad or some other stuffing and sell them for $5.95. I'm thinking about doing a demo at a couple of places - take the mater with some refrigerated salad to a restaurant and fix some for the help. I don't know how well they produce but if each plant produces 30 toms and I have 20 of them, that's $600 income from $3 worth of seeds and potting mix!

Mike

Maligator said:
That sure is alot of Mater plants listed up there. You have a greenhouse? I know it's not warm enough in that state yet! I used to live there. I'm gonna try the Cherokee Purples and some Romas. I love Romas for just about anything from salsa to salads to sauces.

Nope. I am growing them in a spare room off the back porch. Enough room light and heat to grow a few of each. The exceptions are Thessaloníki,Al-Kuffa and Cowlick's Brandywine.Will have 12 each of these. Btw have you tried San Marzano? They are good for salsa sauce and relishes.

wordwiz said:
Kevin,

A new one I'm trying this year is a Red Stuffer. Supposedly similar to a bell pepper (the insides) it is suppose to have hollow chambers and easily-removed seeds. I figure I can sell these (if they are any good) to upscale restaurants for close to a buck apiece. They cut them in half, add 75¢ worth of tuna salad or some other stuffing and sell them for $5.95. I'm thinking about doing a demo at a couple of places - take the mater with some refrigerated salad to a restaurant and fix some for the help. I don't know how well they produce but if each plant produces 30 toms and I have 20 of them, that's $600 income from $3 worth of seeds and potting mix!

Mike

I have seen them listed before.Mainly from Burgess. They are indeed like a bell pepper. Some restaurants just might like them..

Kevin

Here is the whole list of the maters I have germinated so far. Earl's Faux,Michigan State,Summer Cider,Vorlon,Celebrity,Al-Kuffa,Cowlick's Brandywine,Indian Stripe,Spudakee,Abe Lincoln,Costoluto Genovese,Costoluto Fiorentino, Stump of the World,Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red. That's 14 and counting. All the seedlings so far look strong and healthy.:cool:

Kevin

Back