• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Mattresses

A Renaissance in mattresses is upon us. Every day it seems as if a new company has entered the game.. Casper, Ghost Bed, Purple, a dozen or more others... And the old players are still around.. Sealy, Stearns and Foster.

Hybrids, cooling beds, memory foam beds.. you name it, they've got it.

Anyone tried one of the upstarts (most will allow 100+days of free trial) and how did you like it? I've been doing so much research every new url I visit now has another mattress company's ad!

Been researching and researching.. there are dozens of these companies!! Top three (as of this moment) the (a) New Purple Mattress (b) Casper Wave (c) Ghost Bed.

The new Purple Mattress looks like it is really good for side sleepers and doesn't retain a lot of heat.

Was initially worried about bed in a box but this isn't rolled up and unfurled.. comes boxed in a full sized mattress box.

There are hundreds of reviews on these things on the YouTube. More research to come!

dragonsfire said:
I stick to orthopaedic  fome mattresses and avoid all the metal inserts stuff, cant believe people pay $2000 and more for a mattress.

You spend a third of your life in bed. The quality of your sleep massively affects the quality of your day. How is a bed NOT something worth spending plenty of money on?

Agree. Especially if it will last 10 years. Also I thought $2000 was the lower end of expensive these days. I bought mine at a place that has sales people on commission, it was $1400, paid like 800-900 or something and he made me buy expensive pillows to seal the deal, I just returned them lol, the mattress is sill holding up (10 years)... it's a plush pillowtop, I don't dig firm, back sleepers do... looking into options now tho...

Ghaleon said:
You spend a third of your life in bed. The quality of your sleep massively affects the quality of your day. How is a bed NOT something worth spending plenty of money on?

Also don't skimp on size, my queen takes up most the room, but it's the BEDroom, and I want to sleep comfortably. ;) 

Sleep Number beds are the best. I usualy keep mine as firm as it can get. But if I want it softer, I just push a button on a remote. It will never wear out (it's just a bag of polyurethane impregnated nylon fabric, like a river raft). My main concern when buying it was that it might not breathe well in summer because I sweat a lot. No problems there, though - it's the coolest mattress I ever slept on. Moving it is super easy too. Just deflate the bags and stuff them in a box.
     Ours was cheaper than any of the other mattresses we were pricing at the time too. We got the no-frills model. They have others that incline like a hospital bed and have computers that track your sleep patterns and shit, but that's all just padding for their profit margins. I think we got ours on sale for like $1300 delivered.

Here's my question about the sleep number.

Most fucking takes place in the middle of the bed. If your side is set to firmer and her side is set to softer....well..

Do you gotta get out of the moment and take the time to set both sides of the bed to the same number?

Ghaleon said:

You dont need a tone of money for a good mattress, I am well aware of the effects of a bad mattress since I have had back problems since I was a kid. My current mattress has 20 year warranty and I paid $300 for the Queen.

The big names will rename the models per store also, so if comparing prices be sure to check that out. So in Macy's the Simmons "Elite" may be the Simmons "Princess" (made up names) at the mattress store, etc. You can look online usually and find out...

How did the sales people react when Pookie brought back his fancified pillows?

I think most of these places throw in free pillows or sheets in their sales packages.
c517323a3f0ef0a99fed57fc5bbe2504.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Back