• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

CDNmatt said:

Not yet my friend but its normally like a 7-10 ( business) day shipping on most things from the US so no need to worry. Stuff moves alittle slower to me then the more populated areas of Canada, something we have gotten use to living up here.
I get it. My PO just sometimes don’t deliver [emoji848]. Pony Express to dog sled,eh[emoji16] Go Wings [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few update pics.....these show the ply wood taken out and the plants are all dropped down now, since they are more then tall enough I think and should not stretch now.

G3xZmY3.jpg

iHarYId.jpg

Here is a shot of thematers all sperated now into small pots for a week or 2 at most.......Bad pic but was kinda in a rush when I took it..

4QMtRmv.jpg

Top shelf with 'Fanzilla' mounted at the front using some hooks to hold it. I though aboot screwing it in just for keep it more level but it would get in the way when taking stuff in and out, this way I can pop it off when needed.

0skBdZ1.jpg

Dropped it a couple Deg's celcius since I moved it to the front, which is nice cause the top was a tad heat stressed from eating the bottom 2 teirs heat as well.

YILf6rr.jpg

And just a middle shelf shot, just wanted to give an idea how they sat now t hat the ply wood lifter is out.

YFM8VyJ.jpg

Yeah those are mostly cheapo Chinese strips so to get a good amount of light I piled them up you could say. Now that I know alittle more what I am doing I will upgrade the strips slowly this year to bigger Diodes and/or rigid strips.

And thanks man the early start sure helped of course.

The middle shelf was all early to mid Jan and the top shelf was pretty much anything after that and all the stragglers, sure had a hell of a time getting some stuff to germ for me.

CDNmatt said:
Yeah those are mostly cheapo Chinese strips so to get a good amount of light I piled them up you could say. Now that I know alittle more what I am doing I will upgrade the strips slowly this year to bigger Diodes and/or rigid strips.

And thanks man the early start sure helped of course.

The middle shelf was all early to mid Jan and the top shelf was pretty much anything after that and all the stragglers, sure had a hell of a time getting some stuff to germ for me.
I've been looking at these ... 

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-100

i'll probably go with these, or other quantum boards for my next upgrade/expansion

Though i'm honestly, really pretty happy with my T5's, for starting i use 6500k, and i have a bank of T5's in 2700K for my multiple amaryllis Bulbs as well 
For the overwinter room I use HID MH lighting, taking advantage of the extra heat given off all winter.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
I've been looking at these ... 

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-100

i'll probably go with these, or other quantum boards for my next upgrade/expansion

Though i'm honestly, really pretty happy with my T5's, for starting i use 6500k, and i have a bank of T5's in 2700K for my multiple amaryllis Bulbs as well 
For the overwinter room I use HID MH lighting, taking advantage of the extra heat given off all winter.

The HLG's seem to be coming extremely popular and people seem to post really good results as well. I just really couldn't afford them with how my shelf is set  up...more of a starter set up only type thing and I would need a couple per shelf type thing .

Lespaulde has a great build in his GLOG using higher end Samsung chips which are pretty comparable to that kind of rig I believe (if not the same?)

I think for my bottom shelf I am going to but a couple t5 2 bulbers, mostly since the bottom shelf can be used if the plants get big and I need  to take the middle shelf out and drop the plants, I can easily take off the Fluros unlike the strips. t5's and t8s are more then fine for growing imo.

Kennylay said:
looking sick matt, love to see everything from your grow, and personally rooting for the mcdonalds cup as the favorite :D

Thanks Ken I was just lurking in your glog a min ago.

You know, that McD's cup plant got slaughtered by my big doofus dog and I didn't think it was going to make it, but has really started to come around the past week.

Wish I had more of those cups as well...lol....They fit nicely and hold a decent amount of media, but the bottoms are not greatest so can't really bottom feed the buggers at all.

Hi Matty,

So how long before dirt day? I'm thinking you may well need to start ASAP on an edition to the house eh?

The plants look great! Obviously you got the nutes regimen down.  ;)

Edit: is a 430 like a 420? No wait 4:30=  cocktail hour..

Devv said:
Hi Matty,

So how long before dirt day? I'm thinking you may well need to start ASAP on an edition to the house eh?

Most years dirt day is the May long weekend soo around the 20th give or take a day or two, so anything before that is bonus time. Last 2 years were terrible springs so hoping I get one of those good bonus seasons this year, if not the spring then at least the fall....preferably both eh.

Kinda a funny thing you mention aboot an edition...So we bought our place 2 years ago.....property is not huge but 7 acres and maybe 3 of that is bush with a creek running through it....had a house trailer on it but not a normal one you would see in a park its a double wide and I think 20 or so ft longer then a standard mobile I believe.

Anyways the plan was to move in right away and start to build a new house..nothing huge but big enough for a family of 4and our mutts. Within a month or 2 after move in my wife got pregnant which was not in the plan..at least not then anyways. So after the curveball we decided to change it up, tough it out in this place a few more years then start our house. In the meantime we have saved some more money and been buying some supplies which we store at a friend of ours.

Long story short I can tell you right now that I will be considering a room even if its small just for my growing hobby, since I have rather enjojyed this early start thing. In the past I have started early but at a local greenhouse run by the agricultural society to which I am also a member. Made it much easier to grow some of the longer growing types of maters that I have done.

CDNmatt said:

Most years dirt day is the May long weekend soo around the 20th give or take a day or two, so anything before that is bonus time. Last 2 years were terrible springs so hoping I get one of those good bonus seasons this year, if not the spring then at least the fall....preferably both eh.

Kinda a funny thing you mention aboot an edition...So we bought our place 2 years ago.....property is not huge but 7 acres and maybe 3 of that is bush with a creek running through it....had a house trailer on it but not a normal one you would see in a park its a double wide and I think 20 or so ft longer then a standard mobile I believe.

Anyways the plan was to move in right away and start to build a new house..nothing huge but big enough for a family of 4and our mutts. Within a month or 2 after move in my wife got pregnant which was not in the plan..at least not then anyways. So after the curveball we decided to change it up, tough it out in this place a few more years then start our house. In the meantime we have saved some more money and been buying some supplies which we store at a friend of ours.

Long story short I can tell you right now that I will be considering a room even if its small just for my growing hobby, since I have rather enjojyed this early start thing. In the past I have started early but at a local greenhouse run by the agricultural society to which I am also a member. Made it much easier to grow some of the longer growing types of maters that I have done.

Hey 7 acres is a nice place! LB and I bought our place 29 years and 352 days ago, so in 3 days we been here 30 years now. ;) By today's pricing standards we stole the place. A decent 4x4 pickup is going for more, which I can't believe. I'm certainly in a different boat, my oldest Grankid is now driving and retirement is in the wings.

You have some land, a home, and a family, take it all in stride. Before you know it your first G-Kid will be asking for the car keys!

Keep it green buddy!

PtMD989 said:
I start all my plants at work. Boss don’t care, he’s my brother. My wife would have a fit if I tried to start plants at home. Her excuse is none of the planter match the decor and they aren’t pretty enough [emoji16]
Your plants are looking awesome [emoji106][emoji91]

What's a decor?

LB, my wife is a real trooper. She's the one who weeds the garden and the "picker", the processor, etc.. I do the rest. The key here in my world is grow enough of what she wants to have grown, and she's right there helping. So as the season goes on and you look at my garden, you will see the balance ;)

Devv said:
Hi Matty,

no, but close... "4:30" = "Beer:20"   ;)
:lol:

CDNmatt said:
Also for you Scotty

PtMD989 said:
4:30 in Texas is 5:30 in Michigan [emoji16]

its always time for sumpin somewhere :P

Devv said:
My older brother's line is it's noon somewhere..LOL
Zactly

:beer:

:cheers:

Devv said:

What's a decor?

LB, my wife is a real trooper. She's the one who weeds the garden and the "picker", the processor, etc.. I do the rest. The key here in my world is grow enough of what she wants to have grown, and she's right there helping. So as the season goes on and you look at my garden, you will see the balance ;)

hey now...
Some of our Mrs. read THP too   :rofl:

lets not go givin away all our gardening secrets just yet  ;)  LOL  :lol:

:cheers:

Devv said:

What's a decor?

I think decor is the color of the walls or some crap like that.
I do plant some of my plants at home( she does let do that)and some at work [emoji16]

Back