• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mattys first ever Glog "Into the fire" 2019 season

Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my "Into the Fire" Glog!!

So I started my gardening hobby in my early 20's about 16 years ago now, and though I have played around with many types of flowers/vegis  tomato's is what most of my energy was put into. I loved alll the different colors and types that could be grown which really reminds me of all the exciting Chilli variety's that exist today. A couple seasons ago while looking for some info on a particular type of sweet pepper I stumbled onto a few videos of some people eating super hots (Ghost,Reapers ect..).  After looking into it a little more I figured this would be a very interesting thing to grow even just as a novelty since really no one in my area grows much if anything at all.

Last Winter I went and bought some seeds from Ebay..one was a mixed bag Ghost/Reaper/Scorpion...another was the Peter Pepper and the third was some type of Thai i believe. Only the Thai ended up growing true to type and the other 2 was a Cayenne and Ornamental. I was pretty disappointed when they did finally start putting out pods. It was around that time I started looking for a group or forum dedicated to Chillis, and luck would have it I found THP and all of you fantastic peoples.

Anyways with the boring back story outta the way I really planned ahead for this years grow....I built a 6'Hx6'Lx2'D grow box (not exact mesurments) which has 3 shelves and the middle one able to come out if I wnated to grow larger plants from the bottom tier. I went overkill on seed types making 3 decent size buys, 2 of which were 30+ from Garth at TexasHotPeppers and a smaller one from a fella in Arz.

I do not plan to grow all of these as my wife would kill me, but 20 or so might not be so bad.

The list:

Trinidad X strain
Pimenta Chris fat
Bonda Mahala
7 Pot Lava (Red)
Jays Choc Ghost Scorpion
Chachuca
Yaki Blue Fawn
BB7 Bhut Choc
Tobago Treasure
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Peach Bhut WM
Borg 9 Yellow
Arseclown Jolokia
Red Savina X Fatalii (Yellow)
Tobago Seasoning
Arrowhead
Peachgum Tiger MAMP V1
Uraguay Seasoning
Reaper X SRTSL
Aji Charapita
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Reaper X BOC F3
7 Pot Moruga Scorpion
Choc Primo
BB7 Jobito Choc
Bad Brains
White Naga
7 Pot Pink
Tepin X Lemon Drop
Big Caramel Mama
Brainstrain X Reaper
Scotch Bonnet Long
CP115
Tangerine Hab
Big Yellow Mama
Monster Apocallise
Kraken Peach
Devils Tongue White
Bhutlah Lime X
Peach Bleeder
Jumbo Naga smooth
Jonahs Orange Nipple
Tiger bibi
Orange ghost Jami
Purple Reaper
Monkey Face yellow
Mustard reaper X
Peach Bonnet Scorpion
Naga Viper
Naga Viper Choc
BBG 7 white
BBG7 midnight
komodo Dragon
Red Mazano
Bad Brains pepper
Infinity
Jonahs Yellow
Sepia Reaper
Macapa
JAFSH Black
Fialga Roxa
Sugar Rush x Mango
white lightening Bolt
PDN x douglah 2.3
7 pot burgendy
Bleeding Heart yellow
Nagabon X Yellow Primo (yellow)
Orange Yaky
Orange Fatlli Scorpion

That was my 2 buys from Garth (The above list)

This is the smaller buy from Negroni

Chocolate Reapers
Red Ghost Peppers
Butch Taylor Reaper
Chocolate Scorpion Pepper
Red and Yellow 7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Brain Strain
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Yellow Reaper

So would like to see some favorites and suggestions from the fine people here at THP so I can kinda get it down to a much much smaller grow list. Will also get some pics up shortly here of my grow box which still has one more shelf I need to wire up just waiting on a few more strip lights to arrive in the mail, but will still give an idea of what it will all look like when its done.

In final: This is a new hobby for me within the hobby I already enjoy...I am going to try some new things (new for me) and even the much earlier starts then normal will be interesting to see how it all comes out at the end.  I look forward to the input from the community and keeping this glog updated as much as I can.

Here is too success in 2019!!

CHEERS!

Matty

CaneDog said:
+1 on the Kill A Watt, DWB.

Here's mine showing the draw on my HLG100 at...  120w.  Nice to know I guess.
20181227HLG100.jpg

Yeah that is exactly the information I need to know..tried to use a multi meter awhile back but was an old analog one that could barely pick up anything from the SMDs on the strips .

CDNmatt said:

Yeah that is exactly the information I need to know..tried to use a multi meter awhile back but was an old analog one that could barely pick up anything from the SMDs on the strips .

They are simple and handy.  Digging what you're doing with your LED's.  Would love to do that myself, but think I'm probably better off not taking on a(nother) project like that right now.  Maybe down the road after I learn from everything you do first ;)

CaneDog said:

Maybe down the road after I learn from everything you do first ;)

Yeah, teach us. I have an extra 500 watt power supply but it's my emergency backup and just needed it for a month after my 10 y.o. Corsair took a dump and the new Corsair was DOA. My new EVGA works great and has a 12 year warranty so maybe I could take the risk :P

I think that is what makes a place like this great by watching what others do in their grows and learning from them, well mostly the mistakes they make :)..

Think one thing I would of done differently for sure is just saved up abit more into better lights, it would cut down on the work and maybe a few of the materials needed. The 24v versions would of also been nice to have but  had to keep the budget nice and tight this year.

Using the PSU's has saved me alot of money but having the proper transformer would of been ideal as well. Overall at this point without using them to grow I am  happy though.....they seem to be pretty bright and the cost was aboot $35-$40 CDN per shelf. The light is also nice and even no dark areas at all which is a really nice thing about the strips.

Over time I will add better strips and slowly improve the shelf and systems, they are super easy to take out to replace or upgrade if needed.

Couple shots of the top shelf lit up...still need to tidy things up and fix a few things. I cannot believe how many issues that came up compaired to the middle shelf, I was stomping and cursing around the house the past few days anytime I did work on it :hell: :hell:

HOfNObT.jpg

KV9QBhZ.jpg

Couple more shots of some seedlings coming along...think its time to turn on the big lights. I still have a bunch of stuff on the heat mat, I seem to be struggling a tad as well in that regard.

Pye3SLh.jpg

H27F3DQ.jpg

Something cool though...grabbed the mail today and was a package from Bold Badger.......

ypPl6XP.jpg

Huuuuuge bag of seeds....Badger was also kind enough to cover the cost of shipping all on his own, I offered to cover it or at least partial and he declined which is total class on his part. Will be putting this in the Pepper people are the best thread as well, I believe it deserves to be in there imo.

CaneDog said:
Jeez Matt you're armed for bear now!  You'll have you're own indoor Boreal Forest in no time.

I am so damn relieved to be done with that shelf for this season ...well other then touch ups anyways. It really was stressing me out the past few days...weeks even. Now its just the seeds that are kinda giving me some problems, and I am not sure if its me or the seeds but I assume the problem is maybe enviromental factors...I hope anyways.

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Oh yeah, say goodbye to the bank account after you light those up.

I know right....Thats why I have been putting off using them while the seedlings were small, well the middle shelf anyways. At least when I do light them up for awhile it will only be one shelf for awhile, and I have them on mostly at night when the hydro is cheaper though is a few hours still in the morning when its back to full price.

My diy led uses 77 watts I think. I wanted more wattage, but I didn't calculate properly, but it does really good on new seedlings. Last year I ended up scooting plants to the T5 and T8 when they got bigger, and started the Annuums and tomatoes under the leds.

I put dimmer switches on each of the colors, which was completely unnecessary I think.
Its a mix of rgb+w, cool white and warm white strips. With a Xbox 360 psu.

20190125_082314.jpg

20190125_082334.jpg

And Idk if anyone answered, but I think you can start giving diluted feedings after one or 2 sets of true leaves. Don't quote me. I gave the Sri Lanka's a little feed the other day, they didnt mind

Walchit said:
My diy led uses 77 watts I think. I wanted more wattage, but I didn't calculate properly, but it does really good on new seedlings. Last year I ended up scooting plants to the T5 and T8 when they got bigger, and started the Annuums and tomatoes under the leds.

I put dimmer switches on each of the colors, which was completely unnecessary I think.
Its a mix of rgb+w, cool white and warm white strips. With a Xbox 360 psu.

attachicon.gif
20190125_082314.jpg

attachicon.gif
20190125_082334.jpg

And Idk if anyone answered, but I think you can start giving diluted feedings after one or 2 sets of true leaves. Don't quote me. I gave the Sri Lanka's a little feed the other day, they didnt mind

That is an awesome light you built Andy...I was kinda wondering how high I should bring the plants up to the lights myself and see you got that bad boy pretty close. I bought some dimmer switches but did not end up using them..I though aboot for the on off function but I set it up where I can just pull out the connectors for certain sections of the board if I wanted so didnt even bother. Not sure how many strips I could even put on these little dimmers I bought as well.

Got a bunch of these the past year for maybe .50c a shot or less...I was going to buy some of the bigger dimmers (second link) but really glad I didn't bite on them since I really dont think there was any point to it in the end
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1Pc-12V-RF-Wireless-Remote-Switch-Controller-Dimmer-for-Mini-LED-Strip-Light/372574231612?hash=item56bf279c3c:g:MAgAAOSw5wJcNBQx:rk:67:pf:0

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-PWM-Dimmer-Controller-LED-Light-Lamp-Strip-Adjustable-Brightness-12-24V-8A-ZH/264160539907?hash=item3d8131f503:g:LeMAAOSwZG9WlLoV:rk:35:pf:0

I have a couple of the RBGww strips on my middle shelf..they have the remotes ect, I really do like them esp since can make a crap load of different colors and still have the WW on as well.

And I think the feeding question slipped under the radar so thank you for the reply on that..I thought aboot starting a thread just to ask.

How often would I have to give them nutes?? Would hate to over feed them as well.

Back