• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

maxcaps 2014 grow: avoiding the freeze!

Hello All,

New here, but feeling right at home. I figured I'd go ahead and get my glog started, though I may wait a few weeks yet before starting anything.

I'm pretty new, not totally new. I had a small grow last year, mostly in containers, bringing up plants that I hoped would make cool overwinter bonsai's (bonchi's). I ordered a handful of different varieties from http://fataliiseeds.net, all  95% of which sprouted nicely, though something must have gone wrong because many never grew true leaves. I think my house was too cold... I've moved now and now have an excellent heating system. I also kept the seeds by a window that I think got too drafty. 

I did have a handful of chinenses survive, including a wonderful Red Habanero from fataliiseeds, and some chiero roxa plants that produced a handful of tasty purple pods. I purchased some local Scotch Bonnett starts from a small scale nursery, and grew jalapeños and serrano starts from a local nursery. It's safe to say I am now addicted, as all these fire worked its way into my family's weekly diet. I have a 12'X8' plot begging for plants, and I may do some extra in containers...

Enough background. Here's the plan. As jalapeños (salsa, roasted, and canned) are not a staple, I want to grow a handful of varieties. The chinenses have amazing flavors, so I'm going to branch out with two or three new varieties (though sadly I did not save any scotch bonnet seeds from the last season... what is wrong with me?). Last year I tried some super hot varieties... none lived. I am going to try again! I actually ordered most of these seeds before stumbling upon this wonderful community. In any event, here is the lineup:

Chinenses:

Red Habanero (seeds kept and OW bonchi (thanks fatalii)
Chiero Roxa (seeds kept, may use OW bonchi, haven't decided)
Scotch Bonnett (forgot to keep seeds, but I can replant OW bonchi)
White Habanero (seeds from Pepper Joe, should arrive soon...)
Chocolate Habanero (seeds from Pepper Joe, should also arrive soon)
Fatali (from pepperlover.com)
Big Sun Habernero (from pepperlover)

Superhot Chinenses:

Carolina Reaper (seeds from PuckerButt)
Naga Morich (seeds from PuckerButt)
Bhut Jolokia (seeds from PuckerButt)
Dorset Naga (seeds from PuckerButt)
7 pod (from pepperlover.com)

Other Superhot:

Tiepin (seeds from PuckerButt)

Annuums:

Poblanos (from Pepper Joe... growing to Acho's to use as powder base)
Giant Jalapeño (from Pepper Joe)
Early Jalapeño (from Pepper Joe)
Black Jalapeño (from Pepper Joe)
Purple Jalapeño (from Pepper Joe)
Fresno Pepper (from Pepper Joe)

Wish I had found you guys sooner, I'd have added some douglah's to the list. I am also on the fence about adding a couple more chinense varieties. 

Also growing some companions. Planning on putting in a couple tomato plants, garlic, cilantro, and carrots (had a lot of luck with tasty fat purple carrots... atomic purple I think they were called)

Will post some picks of my OW bonchi's tomorrow, and start going into techniques. On the fence about coffee-filter germination versus sowing in a tray.

Glad the no-cook pickled Jal rings came out well Adam. I'll be interested to hear how the process works out for Chinense pickles. You're probably wise to use some of the milder varieties... I have no idea how it would taste if you used supers.

Good luck with the new ferment... think you might try making kimchi sometime? It's a great way to extend the vegetable harvest and the brine can be used to inoculate and add flavor to ferments. It's not quite time for the Napa Cabbage harvest, but a stuffed Cucumber kimchi called Oisobagi is a great summer side dish. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Stuffed-Cucumber-Kimchi?cmpid=rotdenews08062014&spPodID=020&spMailingID=6868932&spUserID=NjM0NjY1MTg2MDYS1&spJobID=500586146&spReportId=NTAwNTg2MTQ2S0
You'd have to leave it out at room temperature for a day or so to allow the lacto-bacteria time to multiply if you intend to use the brine for inoculating a ferment.
Cubed Radish kimchi called Kakduki is also great stuff if you can find some of the firm, green-shouldered Radishes the Koreans grow. You can substitute Daikon radishes, but I find they go soft fairly quickly and I prefer my kakduki to have some crunch. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Radish-Kimchi

If you find you like kimchi, you can get heirloom seeds for the Gochu peppers used to make Korean pepper powder (gochugaru) from Baker Creek Seeds in Missouri. http://www.rareseeds.com/korean-dark-green-pepper/

Been out for a couple days... just finished a big move. Got a smaller balcony with morning sun now, though, so aside from the fact that it's a nicer apartment I get more light. Good for working and for growing.

tctenten said:
Another round of great reviews. I processed some Jalapeños using Rick's Balaz's recipe as well. They were great and still had a nice crunch. I will definitely do another batch and I am also going to try it with some cherry peppers as well.

Thanks man! The flavors are great. I need to pop the cap on a can of boiled pickles to do a comparison. I used a very similar version of the recipe for the treasures too. I'm getting quite a taste for pickled peppers.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Congrats on selling some peppers and some great reviews.  Hope you get your fees waved next season!!!

Haha, so far it's just a handful. Most folks are scared. But it's got the farm excited so I think they're going to waive my fees and possibly even give me a big bed for large scale production next season, assuming there is any demand. That would be fun, but it'll necessitate a very different kind of grow. I am also going to start a tad later next season.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for another informative post. As Jeff said, great reviews. Hope your ferment takes. The pepper rings sound delicious.

Great glog.

Thanks Chuck! They're definitely fermenting. Tons of bubble actions, and I burp the jars every week or so and take a whiff of the brine. Smells good, so it can't taste too bad right? Fun stuff. 

AaronRiot said:
Liking all the pod reviews in here! Great work, and your grow is looking fantastic!

Thanks man! I need to get back to it. Still got a half dozen pods or so from Jason I need to work through and I got ripe primos coming in I haven't tried. Going to start going into capsaicin withdrawal.

stickman said:
Glad the no-cook pickled Jal rings came out well Adam. I'll be interested to hear how the process works out for Chinense pickles. You're probably wise to use some of the milder varieties... I have no idea how it would taste if you used supers.

Good luck with the new ferment... think you might try making kimchi sometime? It's a great way to extend the vegetable harvest and the brine can be used to inoculate and add flavor to ferments. It's not quite time for the Napa Cabbage harvest, but a stuffed Cucumber kimchi called Oisobagi is a great summer side dish. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Stuffed-Cucumber-Kimchi?cmpid=rotdenews08062014&spPodID=020&spMailingID=6868932&spUserID=NjM0NjY1MTg2MDYS1&spJobID=500586146&spReportId=NTAwNTg2MTQ2S0
You'd have to leave it out at room temperature for a day or so to allow the lacto-bacteria time to multiply if you intend to use the brine for inoculating a ferment.
Cubed Radish kimchi called Kakduki is also great stuff if you can find some of the firm, green-shouldered Radishes the Koreans grow. You can substitute Daikon radishes, but I find they go soft fairly quickly and I prefer my kakduki to have some crunch. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Radish-Kimchi

If you find you like kimchi, you can get heirloom seeds for the Gochu peppers used to make Korean pepper powder (gochugaru) from Baker Creek Seeds in Missouri. http://www.rareseeds.com/korean-dark-green-pepper/

Thanks for the tips man! The powders sound intriguing... do you use them in Korean BBQ recipes? That sounds divine. Or to make korean tacos (takos!). We got a local place that makes some fine beef and pork korean tacos, but I don't think they use any kimchi. As far as kimchi goes, I have never had a taste for it. Too strong, and I am lukewarm on cabbage. But tastes change, and you definitel appreciations for this stuff as time goes on so who knows? I think for the foreseeable future I am going to be making jerk and hab chickens! 

MoA's are very tasty bonnets, and the forms look good on the ones I've been growing, but I wonder about productivity... the plants have only given me about half a dozen pods or so each. Could really use more. Are you finding them to be productive plants? They need some of Charle's yellow bhut spirit.

GA Growhead said:
Almost got it right. ;)
First pod was CGN 21500.
Aji white fantasy was the white baccatum. Crunchy!
Nice reviews!

Dang. Need to take better notes. You left me no choice... got to review! Some of those pods you left are absolutely like candy.

I'll get back to proper gloggin' later this week. Got a couple of applications to get done and some chapters to finish, but that is how these things go. Now that we're getting set up in our new place I am hoping to round home on some long-term research projects.

As far as peppers go I've been letting pods ripen. It's been raining the past three days so I haven't been messing with them. Fun story though... they were having a street festival and there were tons of folks visiting the community garden. Plenty sniffying around the pepper plants too. I watched from a distance for awhile then went up and offered folks some peppers. Surprisingly, one woman (who does a lot of Jamaican cooking) didn't even flinch while she ate a whole Funky Reaper. Handed out some long orange thais too... slightly more approachable, but so tasty! One of my favorites right off the plants. Anyway, did a nice impromptu pepper tasting at the festival and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Maybe I should have pulled a couple morugas and carolina reapers. Perhaps I went too easy on folks.

Thanks for reading! Will do some more powder smoking, fermenting, and pulling this week!

Congrats on the move Adam! My MoA's have been pretty productive so far, especially given my lack of fertilizing for a while. Didn't count how many pods I got from my first pull, but it was at least 2 dozen from 2 plants, if not more. Got one plant loaded up with pods again now, and the other has a bunch of flowers and baby pods set.

Wow, Adam, you have really kicked it up a notch!  Your grow is really rocking'!

Way cool that you were able to get together with Jason.  How awesome.  I always
like meeting up with other chiliheads.  Why don't you come to the PacNW Chilifest?
Just kidding.  It would be awesomer than awesome, though!

Good work this season, buddy.  I hope the rest of your season goes as well!

GA Growhead said:
So the move is done!
Sweet! Happy new spot!

i5CdG29.jpg

What's that? Morning light? Hours and hours of it? And three huge windows soakin' it up? Yes please.

No seriously, moving is a huge pain. but at least it's good and I got my office together. Got a full 10 hours of writing in today. Brain is feeling a little wrung out actually.

MeatHead1313 said:
Congrats on the move Adam! My MoA's have been pretty productive so far, especially given my lack of fertilizing for a while. Didn't count how many pods I got from my first pull, but it was at least 2 dozen from 2 plants, if not more. Got one plant loaded up with pods again now, and the other has a bunch of flowers and baby pods set.

Thanks man! I think I've gotten around a dozen from one plant and 8 or 9 from the other. Would love more as it's a tasty pepper, though I am still bouncing back and forth between MoA's, TFM's, and these bonnet 7pots yellows. They'll probably all end up together in the same sauce or powder.

PaulG said:
Wow, Adam, you have really kicked it up a notch!  Your grow is really rocking'!

Way cool that you were able to get together with Jason.  How awesome.  I always
like meeting up with other chiliheads.  Why don't you come to the PacNW Chilifest?
Just kidding.  It would be awesomer than awesome, though!

Good work this season, buddy.  I hope the rest of your season goes as well!

Thanks Paul! Doing what I can but I hit a time wall this week with the move and the semester starting up again. I'd love to hit a chilefest... never been to one and I bet it's a blast. Last one in Atlanta was 3 or 4 years ago and they haven't kept doing them.

Things have been busy, and gardening time is diminished. I really really need to smoke a big batch of reds (bhuts, primos, and reapers of various persuasions) for superhot powder. Got enough to fill the dehydrator in the fridge, but haven't had time to get to the grill. It's a good busy though... moving the ol' career forward.

I did my Monday pull nonetheless. Peppers are taking a battering with all the rain lately. The yellows in particular seem prone to splitting, and I've been seeing lots of stinkbugs lately. No good.

NuW5qUY.jpg

Luckily these guys are still hanging out. Doing their job. Here is queen of the blondies.

xBfBwUP.jpg

And here's the pull. No time to weigh and count sadly, so it looks like I'll wrap my data collection up mid August. That gives me two and a half months to tease out some patterns. Next season I think I'll track one or two plants closely to save time. Sampling strategy and all. Need time for smoking, dehydrating, and saucing!

44axhTA.jpg

7 pot primos are coming in.

AEY4lS5.jpg

Here is one from last week's pull. Beautiful little pod. Nice, flattened tail, and gnarly as hell. I ate this guy today, the bottom half of it anyway. Following Rick's lead, I ate a little bit of yogurt first. This really cuts down on the gut burn, and chewed the pod for a good minute or so before swallowing. These are hot. I'd say probably the 2nd or 3rd hottest I've tried... up there with a reaper, but nothing like the chocolate moruga I had some time back. Hot enough that my tongue sort of went numb at first and I started salivating copiously.

Flavor was very pleasant though. That nice, rich cinnamon-y flavor with plenty of sweetness and not too much depth. To be honest, I'm not sure I could tell this apart from a reaper by taste alone. The flesh is a tad thicker, shape a tad more stout, and productivity of the plant seems to be a bit lower. I'll probably end up smoking most of these with the reapers and red bhuts.

Short post. Will do a round of plant shots soon. Some are starting to look a little tired. I think the yellow bhut may have overextended itself and isn't enjoying the heavy rain we've been getting here.

Congrats on the move and good luck with the upcoming sauces and powders. And i know what you mean by numb tongue and salivating. Gave my brother (non-chiliaddict) an aji pineapple and he had drool pouring out of his mouth like a water fountain. :rofl: Looking forward to future updates and reviews.

tctenten said:
Good luck in your new place Adam. You will be settled in soon enough. Another nice pull for you, great job.

Thanks man! Getting set up is the name of the game now. Been pulling 10 hour writing sessions this week so feeling kind of drained.

AZ-Mason said:
Congrats on the move and good luck with the upcoming sauces and powders. And i know what you mean by numb tongue and salivating. Gave my brother (non-chiliaddict) an aji pineapple and he had drool pouring out of his mouth like a water fountain. :rofl: Looking forward to future updates and reviews.

Thanks man! Yeah I am going to, inshallah, get some reds on the grill tomorrow for smokin'. Got a good batch of mixed red powder with a ton of kick and a little hint of sweetness and smoke to it. Hoping to get a few more oz and hopefully share.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Good luck and that is a nice looking pull too.  All that sampling data seems a bit too much like work for me....of course I track my fishing all the time lol

Thanks HJeff! Sampling data is good... I'd like to really know what was working and what isn't. But time is time, and more time tracking means less time processing. I'll be more practical next season.

Jeff H said:
Glad you're in the new place. I think I see balcony pepper plants in your future next year.

Garden pics all look good too.

Nice harvest pics. That will keep you busy for a while.

Thanks Jeff! I am so excited about the balcony. Got great picture windows too, for OW I think. Now to decide what to OW...

Harvests are keeping me busy too long, hah!

OCD Chilehead said:
Sorry to hear your so busy lately Adam. It's not forever. Thanks for the review and pod pics. They look great. Hope things settle down for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Busy is good. Busy means things are moving forward. I want to finish... hopefully in the next year. If that means I have to slow down on my grow a little bit so be it, but it's safe to say there will always be some capsicums in my care, even when I go back to India.

Devv said:
Congrats on the move Adam.

But moving sucks, been there too many times!

Still getting great pull and making informative reviews!

Sorry I've been a slacker here, but the chore of August watering has taken hold.

Have a great week!

Thanks Scott. Moving does suck, and it gets worse and worse each time I do it. I don't use movers... got scammed real hard in New York one time (hiked the price after loading all my stuff on their truck). Ever since I've basically moved things on my own. My wife watches the baby and that is that. A little weeding and gardening sure is refreshing after that, and munching a super is a great way to take your mind off aching muscles.

Gardening makes me relaxed and happy. Here are some pics of the plants after the big rain.

d4ZIaEn.jpg

CGN 23257 is loving its new digs. I used ocean forest in this pot instead of my own mix... it's working much better. I have so much to learn about container soil, lol. Need to go take lessons from Jason.

h8L8oeD.jpg

Bonchis are also making me happy. All four are thriving and looking great, except for the ugly pots I have 'em in. I should really repot them, but I am worried about hurting them. 

g80oX9a.jpg

Should some better pics of these guys.

OLzG3wc.jpg

True Goat's Weed isn't minding its subpar mix too much. It's starting to kick off a dozen or so pods a week.

J8JXWeL.jpg

Jamaican Hab has started reaching across the aisle.

7N6zwgm.jpg

Big Sun is getting subsumed beneath the Not-White Habanero. These are dam tasty pods.

Qdp3bWt.jpg

7pot bubbles is a huge plant, over 3' now, but has only produced five or six pods. Need more! There's a pulse coming soon though.

XWHfoFY.jpg

Plenty of green grade A MoA's. They are taking their time ripening though.

95F5TBM.jpg

7pot brainstrain. These are the hottest "yellows" I have going. The second to lay me down. So far these and the morugas have had the most serious heat... reapers have been quite managable.

AEzx2FW.jpg

New pest (to me). I am getting hit hard, especially in the tomatoes, by these awful, nasty, leaffooted bugs. They sip the juices out of green tomatoes. They're swarming pretty bad right now. I've red neem or anything that masks the scent of tomatoes gets rid of them. To the garden shop I go...

I've been donating a handful of pods to the farmers market each week to get my fees waived. So far they are a hit, but apparently the peppers intimidate people (I can't imagine why?!?). The sales manager is asking me for sauce samples. I am thinking of sending up a basic carrot/vinegar/red pepper sauce fresh. Alternatively I could do some simple pepper brine (whole peppers in a jar with some salty vinegar). I am almost happy enough with my tropical sauces (mango and pineapple based and yellow chinenses) to let people try them, but not quite. I should put something together for next week though... probably bhut based and probably on Sunday.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words! Keep on growin!

Beautiful MOA and Goat Weed. Bonchi pods look great as well. I retract my statement about you being busy. Your a man with a plan. The harder you work the more it pays off. I lucked out with my home made soil / soilless mix. I think the biggest difference was the use of AACT. Still learning that subject. Noticed a huge difference from last year.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Hope you find some relaxation.

Chuck

maximumcapsicum said:

Thanks man! Getting set up is the name of the game now. Been pulling 10 hour writing sessions this week so feeling kind of drained.

Thanks Jeff! I am so excited about the balcony. Got great picture windows too, for OW I think. Now to decide what to OW...

From experience, anything but annuums. Mine annuums don't produce worth a darn the 2nd year. Fut, Pube and Chinense all seem fine so pick your poison.

Great progress there, Adam!  You will get some outstanding pods off those plants!

OCD Chilehead said:
Beautiful MOA and Goat Weed. Bonchi pods look great as well. I retract my statement about you being busy. Your a man with a plan. The harder you work the more it pays off. I lucked out with my home made soil / soilless mix. I think the biggest difference was the use of AACT. Still learning that subject. Noticed a huge difference from last year.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Hope you find some relaxation.

Chuck

Thanks man! Yeah a little more time and resources and AACT would have made the list. Maybe next season, but if not definitely the season after that. Long term plans... I plant to never be without a super growing, even if I go back overseas.

Good way to relax is to pop a superhot in your mouth. After a couple chews you'll forget all your troubles.

Jeff H said:

From experience, anything but annuums. Mine annuums don't produce worth a darn the 2nd year. Fut, Pube and Chinense all seem fine so pick your poison.

Yeah I imagine annuums would be hard. Right now I am thinking of bonchi-ing a frut or two, and OW a couple of chinenses. Probably definitely the Indian Carbone you sent me. She is kicking out wonderful, spot on tasty pods, and they're among the most usable of the supers. I would OW the Yellow Bhut too, but I am wondering if growing out a new generation would be a better way to stabilize the strain. MoA's have had a low yield so I'd rather regrow them. Same for a couple other varieties. Time to start working on a new list...

PaulG said:
Great progress there, Adam!  You will get some outstanding pods off those plants!

Thanks Paul! It's all thanks to help from the THP community!

Okay so I ate these a week ago. Going off notes here...

G3nrhEM.jpg

One Jason gave me. I want to say a Bonda Man Jaques or BMJ cross. Very sweet, chinensy pepper with a very low level of heat. Juicy and crunchy, a little more on the delicate side than most bonnets and definitely a little tamer. I was tempted to offer some to the wife, but I was worried that there was heat I simply wasn't tasting.

oPENs5t.jpg

Another one from Jason... I believe it's a soumi bhut crossed with something. No heat on this pod, very pleasant, rich. It was like a firmer, juicy, mild bhut. Interesting pepper. They'd make great salad peppers I think.

Rn5nWft.jpg

Trinidad Perfume! Very similar taste to the one above, but more pungent, and a bourbony richness to it. Nice pepper! Again, heat level seemed mild... about as mild as the above possible-bmj cross.

Okay so those reviews are kind of skeletal. Sorry about that. To make up for I did this today:

rBL7wqL.jpg

Ed's Carolina Reaper on the left and a fresh 7pot Primo on the right. So I've tried these peppers fresh on different days, and I have trouble really discerning them. Most of my notes are very similar... the flavors are very similar, so I thought I'd do a side by side. I waited a day or so, hoping that my stomach would be fortified. Ate a half cup of Greek Yogurt just to make sure... Shape and texture of both pods is very similar. Primo flares a little more at the bottom... it appears to mock you. The reaper appears to twist in the wind... more restrained.

Tried the primo first. Very thin skin, I ate the bottom half of the pod and a slice from the side. Nice crunch, strong burst of cinnamon and cumin-like aromas. Dry. Hot. Very hot. As I chewed, my cheek began heating up. As I continued to chew, my cheek continued to heat up. My mouth capped out pretty fast, then all I could taste was fire. I swallowed the pepper. Luckily the yogurt barrier seemed to hold. There was definite esophagasal warmth, but nothing unbearable.

So I tried the reaper. Ate the bottom of it as well. Very tasty pepper, with a very similar flavor to the primo. I'd say it was a touch more bhut-like, but interestingly there is a sour-sweet fruitiness to the reaper that I didn't notice on the primo. The heat didn't register... I think my mouth was already numb from the primo... so there doesn't seem to be much more if any more capsaicin, purely speaking in the reaper. The flavor is more balanced and fruity, and the primo is drier and more delicate. Both are great pods, but the reaper is a heavier producer so far.

Had a mild cap cramp after the reaper. Thought that was all, but four hours later I nearly doubled over from the cap cramps. I was getting hungry for dinner, and each hunger pain came with a massive spike of heat. That was interesting. Serves me right for eating two supers. I am going to burn a hole in my gut with these things.

KR5NIaG.jpg

Also tried a yellow bhut the other day. Anotehr yellow bhut, as I am really exploring the flavor of these guys. These are among the most delicate and on-the-nose peppers I've grown this year. Floral and tropical, with a bhuty-habby-ness that I know isn't for everything. It does give them a ton of utility though... it blends very well with garlic.

Also smoked a huge batch of reds:

tjZ0ry0.jpg

8QIoTNp.jpg

After an hour of smoke and 15 hours in the dehydrator they smell great. Much softer than fresh. This is a mix of primos, realers, and bhuts. The smoked bhuts have the widest range of pleasant aromas... I suspect they have the best all around flavor (maybe they soaked up the most smoke?), but I am done with side-to-sides today.

Plenty still coming:

wmwmrDt.jpg

Bhut Carbon seems to be getting fatigued from all the pods its putting out. Going to hit it with some epsom salt and fish ferts based on Rick's serum (don't have any molasses).

y0z59WO.jpg

Plenty of yellow bhuts on the way as well.

This weekend I am going for another sauce... fresh reds, carrots, garlic and onions. Going to bring it to the farm for samples. Wish me luck... I'm probably about ready to open a ferment too. So much saucin' to do, so little time.

We took Henry to the zoo on the last day we all had off. Got to see the origin of some of next season's compost.

ip4H9DV.jpg

Have a good one!

Thanks for reviews Adam. I'm glad to see your still pulling pods. Your grow has been amazing. Especially what Mother Nature threw at ya in the beginning. You definitely deserve the fruits of your labor this year. Heres to many more bountiful grows.

Have a great weekend.

Oh that Silverback is amazing. Unbelievable the strength they have. Amazing creatures. I miss the San Diego Zoo. Wish I could see them in the wild.

Back