• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Maybe I'm to cynical?

OK, this seems to happen quite often on here, but this is another gripe about mister Fowler and chileseeds.co.uk.

It might be I'm to suspicious but he's offering seeds for a "Yellow Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah". I know there are many varieties of 7 out there but I've never come across this before?

And secondly it seems that recently he's become more and more market-driven, bringing out names just to sell?

Plus all the stuff about the "naga viper" and how it's officially the hottest on earth after one test from Warwick who hand the 1000000+ ratings out like candy...well of course we all know all about that so i wont reiterate.

Basically is there much substance to this new listing or am I just to cynical?

PS I would like to add that I get a lot of my seeds from the site and have never been let down, this isnt just an anti-chileseeds.co.uk post

A name is just that, a name. Doesn't mean much really. I've been caught before as I imagine a few others have been too who buy seeds from the internet. People buy seeds, rename them something they think will sell and post them up. Isn't illegal as far as I know but in my opinion it is unethical.

Why just the other day I was going through my seeds figuring out what I wanted to try and grow this year. I came upon a couple of packets from a relatively unknown site that I picked up last year. One is named "Solar Flare" with a claimed "Heat Factor" = 10. It looks very much like a regular red habanero. Another is called "UFO" which stands for Unbelievably Fiery Object with a claimed Heat Factor = 8. The photo on the pack is small but it looks like an elongated red habanero. I have no idea if either one will grow and produce peppers that match the photos.

Why did I buy them? Damn good question. Pretty sure they aren't anything new but what the heck.

So I don't think you're too cynical chillirat, I think you like to know what you're spending your money on and don't want to get burned.

Good luck to ya buddy.

Chilirat- I think it is intelligent to question things, in addition to that I always ask questions on here that I think sound dumb or judgemental or untrustworthy (which is reasonable if your dealing with $$) but I really believe this is an information forum and Id rather educate myself then not ask questions! I have one question for you... what does "gripe" mean? dont judge me for a silly question! Im from Jersey.. we dont use that word :)

Patrick.. I agree with you about being unethical. I mean, if you wanted to rename a seed go ahead, but it should be properly labeled on the back of what it really is just so you know. I got a few solar flare plants last year and wasnt impressed. They really are just habaneros, and do not have a heat of 10 (if its 1-10).. Theyre habanero heat, if not a little milder. Good tasting peppers but why confuse the issue by adding names to the same pepper? bullshit if you ask me hehe.

A name is just that, a name. Doesn't mean much really. I've been caught before as I imagine a few others have been too who buy seeds from the internet. People buy seeds, rename them something they think will sell and post them up. Isn't illegal as far as I know but in my opinion it is unethical.

Why just the other day I was going through my seeds figuring out what I wanted to try and grow this year. I came upon a couple of packets from a relatively unknown site that I picked up last year. One is named "Solar Flare" with a claimed "Heat Factor" = 10. It looks very much like a regular red habanero. Another is called "UFO" which stands for Unbelievably Fiery Object with a claimed Heat Factor = 8. The photo on the pack is small but it looks like an elongated red habanero. I have no idea if either one will grow and produce peppers that match the photos.

Why did I buy them? Damn good question. Pretty sure they aren't anything new but what the heck.

So I don't think you're too cynical chillirat, I think you like to know what you're spending your money on and don't want to get burned.

Good luck to ya buddy.

Yeah you're very right about the ethics part! I suppose I'm just cautious when it comes to buying seeds because I have very limited space, my entire grow last year was done entirely inside of two windowsills, so I don't want to buy something that ends up to be a dud. Still now I know more about what I'm doing I'm going to annex the garden :cool:

Ahh gripe, please excuse my colloquialism! Erm gripe...Complaint, moan, issue? Something along those lines.

Eh...I'm from the United States (Indiana), and the word "gripe" is used here all the time. I actually find it really strange that he has never heard the word. :surprised:

Although I did here an Australian lady on the news today talking about the flood and I could barely understand anything she said. :lol:

Eh...I'm from the United States (Indiana), and the word "gripe" is used here all the time. I actually find it really strange that he has never heard the word. :surprised:

Although I did here an Australian lady on the news today talking about the flood and I could barely understand anything she said. :lol:
She would probably have been a Queenslander cos thats where the floods are. They real Queenslanders have really strong aussie accents. Sort of like the old time Aussie accent, a real twang.

Maybe I'll have to tone down my language a bit ;)
I listen to the BBC news broadcast every weeknight & I pay attention to the words/colloquialisms they use. They use "row" for 'fight' or 'disagreement' :-) I find semantics/linguistics very interesting. I also went to W.A. once @ 20 yrs ago.

I listen to the BBC news broadcast every weeknight & I pay attention to the words/colloquialisms they use. They use "row" for 'fight' or 'disagreement' :-) I find semantics/linguistics very interesting. I also went to W.A. once @ 20 yrs ago.

Hah yeah I'm quite interested in linguistics, currently taking an English language course at college. Don't think I'll ever pursue it as more than a hobby but it's still interesting.

Hah yeah I'm quite interested in linguistics, currently taking an English language course at college. Don't think I'll ever pursue it as more than a hobby but it's still interesting.
I'm sure that I would fail a standardized English grammar test at this point but I can get my thoughts across well enough. I'm working on a bachelor's. Started out in Community College because I was lost in High school (too much fooling around).

I could've taken a semester at an Oxford college in Britain last year but the $ was a little too much for me what w/ lodging & travel costs.

I'm sure that I would fail a standardized English grammar test at this point but I can get my thoughts across well enough. I'm working on a bachelor's. Started out in Community College because I was lost in High school (too much fooling around).

I could've taken a semester at an Oxford college in Britain last year but the $ was a little too much for me what w/ lodging & travel costs.

Wow yeah I bet it was pretty pricey. Not sure how much I'd like to travel far away, I'd have to leave my plants behind :crazy:

I don't care too much how bad your grammer is, as long as you get the uses of bring v take, gunman v shooter, and armory v arsenal correct.

He is on a marketing roll lately and doesn't even come to the forum to explain himself to anyone.

Chris

OK, this seems to happen quite often on here, but this is another gripe about mister Fowler and chileseeds.co.uk.

It might be I'm to suspicious but he's offering seeds for a "Yellow Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah". I know there are many varieties of 7 out there but I've never come across this before?

And secondly it seems that recently he's become more and more market-driven, bringing out names just to sell?

Plus all the stuff about the "naga viper" and how it's officially the hottest on earth after one test from Warwick who hand the 1000000+ ratings out like candy...well of course we all know all about that so i wont reiterate.

Basically is there much substance to this new listing or am I just to cynical?

PS I would like to add that I get a lot of my seeds from the site and have never been let down, this isnt just an anti-chileseeds.co.uk post

I don't care too much how bad your grammer is, as long as you get the uses of bring v take, gunman v shooter, and armory v arsenal correct.

What about "evacuate"? I keep hearing on the news about the people in Australia being "evacuated". I would really hate to be the people who have to clean up all that excrement. Yikes.

glad i've got all the seed i need already. it's ridiculas. like that guy who's standing by his carribbean red plants saying they are bhut jolokia. that video makes me wanna puke! what the hell does bootch the cooch mean anyway?!!LOL!

Let me add to the cynicism. What the hell is the difference between a scotch bonnet and a habanero? I keep hearing that they are different, have different pods shapes, and have different heat levels, although taste similar and most sites list them as "close cousins." I went to a few of my favorite supplier sites tonight and typed "scotch bonnet" in the search box, and each one directed me to various forms of habanero seeds. Is there a difference? Is a scotch bonnet just a habanero chile grown in Jamaicia? That is what I'm starting to think.

Back